PDA

View Full Version : Easy way across Chicago?

Keygrip
21st Jun 2003, 22:51
Arriiving Chicago Midway around 9:30pm on Tuesday - will have wheelie suitcase plus carry on.

Hotel is near O'Hare.

Any particularly good :D (or bad!!! :{ ) methods of transport between the two??

<<edited for arrival time in MDW - not departure time in Orlando>>

georgetg
22nd Jun 2003, 04:35
Take the EL (Elevated train in Chicago sometimes called CTA)

Orange line Downtown then switch and get on the Blue line for Ohare

$2

go to ohare and hop the hotel bus back, or exit the train in Rosemont...

Cheers
George

Keygrip
22nd Jun 2003, 08:47
George - thanks for that. I guess that comes under the heading of particularly bad methods of getting across Chicago.

I was in MDW last Tuesday and caught the "L" (Orange line) to go into town. $1.50 one way - but took a good 30 minutes.

To do that and then have to get the matching Blue Line back out again doesn't have a pleasant ring to it - especially at 11pm.

I'm going to be there for a few days - I feel a Hertz car coming on!!

GalleyWench
22nd Jun 2003, 22:29
Keygrip, CoachUSA runs an hourly bus service between Midway and O'Hare airports, check their website to see if the service runs this late. www.coachusa.com is the web address.

Keygrip
23rd Jun 2003, 03:45
Thanks GalleyWench (great name, by the way).

Looked at the nightmare site. Coach USA finishes at 9pm. Darn!!.

There appears to be a shuttle bus that finishes at 10pm (wonder how quick the baggage carousel will work??).

There are "shared vans" whatever they are - or a cab ( for about $40).

Keygrip
26th Jun 2003, 11:40
Well, I got that one wrong.

Cab was $103.68 to cross Chicago - to be fair driver did warn me before departure from Midway that the charge would be "meter times one and a half". The meter clocked around $68.

Momo
28th Jun 2003, 00:11
More complex than that:

Shared rides from Midway to O'Hare cost $35 per person. Some suburbs are indeed 1.5 times meter from the airport. The main ones are not.

http://www.yellowcabchicago.com/rates.htm

Local cab companies operate fixed rates to many locations. For example, I did Oak Park to O'Hare for $33 a month ago.

Momo