PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow to Gatwick

saudipc-9
21st Jun 2003, 22:30
I've got an international connection which forces me to have to travel between Heathrow and Gatwick. Which is the best and fastest way to travel between the two airports?
Cheers

boeingbus2002
21st Jun 2003, 23:13
Heathrow - Gatwick coach service
£13-00 one way i think
Takes about 40 mins-1 hr Depending on time of day.
Departs every hour i think and from LHR Central Bus station or Terminal 4.

Departures Beckham
22nd Jun 2003, 02:43
Found this on BAA's (http://www.baa.co.uk/main/airports/gatwick/getting_here_frame.html) website:

National Express Airport No. 700 - Heathrow & Gatwick. Non-stop inter-airport transfer. (Formerly Speedlink)
This service operates between Gatwick and Heathrow airports. There are dedicated points at both South and North Terminal. Tickets and information can be obtained at the bus and coach ticket desk on the Arrivals level of both South and North Terminal. Average journey time between Heathrow and Gatwick is approximately 80 minutes depending on traffic and time of day. Journeys may take longer at peak traffic times. Further information 08705 757 747 or www.GoByCoach.com.

Go to www.GoByCoach.com for full schedules and pricing information.

zalt
22nd Jun 2003, 02:48
20 years ago you could fly! BCal operated an S-61.

Be warned, I've had to wait 45 mins just to get on the bus on a bad day (eg when a redeye 747s all arrive at once). On the M25 you are a hostage to fortune.

Flying Boat
22nd Jun 2003, 03:03
When I was in KSA (Riyadh), I knew several people that were given 'trans London connections'.

The local Saudi based travel agents, most have never been further west than Jeddah, believed that 3 hours was ample time to move between LHR getting off the flight & LGW doors closing, early morning, Rush Hours. Not normally so.

I regularly advised people to try to check-in through London, and pick up a boarding card in Riyadh for the LGW-Southern USA/Caribbean routes. This will create a little time and increase your chances of success for the connection.

Having said all this, most people arrived at LGW airside as the flight was being called, needless to say, I never heard of anyone's bags arriving across the pond the same time as the pax.

If you are with BA, they may have a connecting bus, if you are an EEC passport holder, it will increase your connection chances as I have heard of non EEC passport holders (NZ nationals) getting tied up for over 1 hr in immigration cues at LHR.

The last hurdle is our favourite road, the M25, guaranteed to throw up traffic jams and accidents when you least need them.

Good luck with the most tiring part of your trip, the 'trans London connection'.

;)

saudipc-9
22nd Jun 2003, 03:06
Thanks. It seems that one hour is about the best I am going to do. I hope that 3 1/4 hours is enough time to get thru customs/security etc

bealine
23rd Jun 2003, 14:24
If you are with BA, they may have a connecting bus

No longer I'm afraid. Our bean counters decided they didn't want Gatwick to be a transfer point any more and withdrew both the Inter-Airport baggage facility and the complimentary transfer coach tickets!

I'm sorry to say that you're entirely at the mercy of National Express No 700.

saudipc-9
24th Jun 2003, 02:44
I found a better solution to my travel problems..... I changed my flights:p
Thanks all

Onan the Clumsy
26th Jun 2003, 03:06
I took the bus about this time last year, but I cant' remember if it was LHR to LGW or LGW to LHR

I remember now, it was LGW to LHR and 700 service sounds about right. It wasn't too bad either.