PDA

View Full Version : The Original Aviation Safety Digest No 1 - Fascinating.

Hudson
21st Jun 2003, 20:32
A friend has just given me a copy of the original DCA Aviation Safety Digest No 1. Date is July 1953. What a marvellous piece of work by it's editor Mac Job. Of course, his name never appears. The cover says that it was prepared by the Accident Investigation and Analysis Branch of DCA. Mac Job and Dick McLean set up the magazine.

The foreword by the editor states, among other things, that the original news-sheet called Aircraft and Incident Summary seemed to be viewed with distrust by certain sections of the pilot community - hence the production of a new look presentation re-named Aviation Safety Digest. Now read the next bit carefully:

The foreword states that the main reason for the lack of confidence in the earlier news-sheet was the "long delay in completing investigation of many incidents, and that work is proceeding on this problem, and an improvement in this regard should be made in the near future".

Well, it seems that after 53 years (the near future?) things haven't changed in that regard. A glance at page 51 of the current style crash comic called Flight Safety Australia - March-April 2003, gives a list of recently completed investigations. Note the time between the incidents and the completion date of the resulting investigation.

For example:
Tiger Moth crash on 16 Feb 2002 - investigation completed one year later 27 Feb 03.
Boeing (3) Loss of separation standards on 31 Jan 2002. Investigation completed 23 Jan 2003.
Cessna 340 - fuel flow fluctuations on 9 March 2002. Investigation took 10 months! 22 January 2003.
Aerostar and Airtrainer loss of separation standards at Tamworth on 24 June 2002 - investigation took eight months to complete!

One excellent aspect of the Aviation Safety Digest series was the reporting and full description of many overseas accidents. Digest No 1 for instance published a three page edited version of a landing accident to a C46 Curtiss Commando at Grand Island, Nebraska. The captain had feathered an engine for a practice Radio Range approach (us Oldies will recall those -you had to know your morse code in those days) and then lost height due high density altitude. Then there was the take-off accident of a De Havilland Comet at Rome on 26 October 1952. That was a 4 page report. The captain over-rotated and then aborted at a late stage in the take off run and pranged..

The parts of Aviation Digest No 1 were:
!. Aviation News and views.
2. Overseas Accidents.
3. Australian Accidents.
4. Incident reports.

There were no illustrations- just 29 pages of full on text of specially selected accidents and incidents. No advertisements or promos. Interesting to compare this with the current format of Flight Safety Australia which has 62 pages, including 87 illustrations, advertisements, quizzes, classifications, and lists of Airworthiness Directives. Personally, I would rather forego all the fancy coloured artwork, glossy advertisements and feel good CRM articles in favour of the straight no-nonsense formula of the Digests.

The Digest called a spade a spade. There was no political correctness. Example: "Training accident -Tiger Moth..The aircraft spun and crashed during a training flight which involved forced landing practice in an approved training area...the pilot suffered serious injury...the primary cause of the accident was poor technique on the part of the pilot in that he failed to effect an immediate recovery from an incipient spin which resulted from a poorly executed side-slip...a contributory cause of the accident was the pilot's limited flying experience".

Or: "An Auster took off across the landing path of several aircraft and then made a climbing right hand turn from 100 ft. The pilot of the Auster displayed a serious lack of airport discipline resulting in other aircraft being placed in a hazardous position...the pilot has been severely reprimanded for his carelessness in failing to keep a proper look out". Now that's telling 'em!!

Nowadays the pilot would hire an ambulance chasing lawyer and go the magazine for damages to his professional reputation and lack of respect for his right of privacy!

In my younger days, I learned more about flight safety from Mac Job's crash comics than from any of the flashy artwork filled safety magazines that are produced today.:ok:

Sly'n Smiley
21st Jun 2003, 20:55
I have virtualy the entire set of the'Aviation Safety Digest'. It's facinating stuff and great reading. What amazes me is the way the the same sorts of accidents happen again and again... The only real problem with the 'Digest is that the authors and editors embraced the "pilot error" model of accident causation. This model is outmoded as a means of determining the root (ie:systemic) causes of accidents as it it provides an inadequate basis on which to run an accident prevention program. Great reading tho. I love the gory pictures from the mid '70s. Esp. the mustering accidents.:yuk:

maximus
21st Jun 2003, 22:53
Received my first copy of "The Digest" in 1970 and it was a great read. I remember that they had quite a few stories on "VFR Charter Comes To Grief" (CFIT) over the years. They used to stick in my mind after I almost joined them in 1973. I wish that I had saved all those copies of The Digest instead of throwing them away.:{

Jamair
22nd Jun 2003, 09:23
Does anyone know Mac Job? I have often thought that a series of bound reprints of the Aviation Safety Digest would sell well - it may be old, but it's still valid.

chimbu warrior
22nd Jun 2003, 14:56
I have most Safety Digests dating back to late 60's, but would like to obtain earlier editions to complete my collection. Without doubt the greatest learning tool ever produced by a government Department in Australian history. The current "FlightSafety" magazine is not even useful for starting the barbecue..............

Mac Job is alive and well and living in Melbourne. Had some dealings with him in years gone by when I was to fly an ancient type that he was very familiar with. An absolute gentleman who offered considerable advice and information for which I will be forever grateful. If you want to see some of his reports reprinted, ask your bookseller for "Air Crash", "The Old and The Bold", or "Air Disaster" (volumes 1 to 4). These are invaluable to anyone either entering this industry or wanting to stay in it.

BTW, if anyone has any old Digests they want to sell, please PM me.

compressor stall
22nd Jun 2003, 16:07
Have though of asking the editors of the new mag if they could print it on softer paper that won't hurt my bum so much :rolleyes:

I guess the way they think now is that all the crash comics are on line - if you want to read the investigations, then you could browse online at your leisure.

In the FS mag, a tale of some reader making a mistake at a party is all very well, but nothing enforces the point home more than seeing each and every accident listed in succession, and noticing that the same causes keep popping up. Reinforces the point very well indeed.

Hudson
22nd Jun 2003, 19:06
Sly'N Smiley. Are you saying that there is no such things as the pilot stuffing up - that the real cause was his instructor who was a grade 3 who was badly trained on his instructors course - which in turn was run by a a cranky old grade one who in turn had a deprived childhood which accounted for his cranky manner etc etc? Just joking, of course.

In my youth, I once very nearly pranged a big four engine military bomber at Darwin because I very foolishly gave my navigator a take off in said machine when his total time was five hours on a Tiger Moth. It was his last flight as aircrew before remustering to be an equipment officer. It was nearly our last flight, period. On departing the runway at a 25 degree angle while still on the deck we leap-frogged the local fire tender who was standing by on an adjoining taxiway.

I should have been hung, drawn, and quartered - but got away with it without high authority finding out. Now THAT was pilot error. I had had a happy childhood, no hang-ups, and only occasionally got full as a boot. No way was anyone else to blame except myself. There was no systemic failure of anything - only my brain. The term systemic failure had never been coined in those days.

A fair investigation may well find contributory causes to an accident which could involve personnel problems up the chain of command and these should be noted in an accident report - but unless the accident was totally out of control of the pilot, then I have no problem with wearing the blame if I stuffed up professionally. The Aviation Safety Digest reflected the realities of life without the political correctness that characterises present day forums on flight safety issues.

Incidently, mea culpa again. Seems that the original Digests from No 1 to No 37, were the work of various DCA senior flight operational staff. Mac Job tells me that he became the editor from Digest No 38 onwards.

Jet_A_Knight
23rd Jun 2003, 07:19
Is anyone aware of, or have an address for an archive for these mags?

Bevan666
23rd Jun 2003, 08:56
The Melbourne University Engineering library used to have quite a few decades worth of them archived. That was >12 years ago, so I dont know the current status...

Bevan..

Pedota
23rd Jun 2003, 16:54
Hudson - would you kindly check your email.

Thanks

amos2
23rd Jun 2003, 18:13
I also happen to know Mac Job personally...

he is not a professional pilot...

so I take no notice of what he writes!!

EPIRB
24th Jun 2003, 08:56
Does anyone know what Dick McLean is up to these days?

Menen
24th Jun 2003, 16:35
Amos. What a vicious reply. Before he became a flight safety writer Mac Job was a professional pilot with the RDFS while you were still in nappies. He flew old aeroplanes with none of the bells and whistles of ADF, VOR, ILS, GPS. Some of those old aircraft had no AH. Try flying those at night in the outback where navigation to pick up patients was by dead reckoning and car lights. You probably wouldn't last five minutes.

Mac Jobs real expertise now, is his skill at turning a dead boring lengthy accident report into a thoroughly readable accurate story.
You would do well to read his Air Disaster and Air Crash series as well as the Aviation Safety Digests. They are worth more in terms of flight safety for pilots than all the CASA Flight Safety Forums rolled into one.

EPIRB. Dick McLean is alive and kicking and lives a few miles from Bendigo. He has recovered from a heart attack which hit him a couple of years ago.

Jamair
24th Jun 2003, 19:52
Mennen - or anyone else for that matter - if you know Mac Job could you PM me his email; I'd like to suggest to him a new series ala his Air Crash books; this time on GA.

Cheers

Travelling Toolbox
25th Jun 2003, 13:38
Menen

With regard to your comment on Amos2, it brings to mind an old adage:

Those that do not heed the lessons of the past, are doomed to repeat them

Whatever your beliefs on the quality his work, if the dissemination of safety lessons like those listed in Mac's books to all current and wannabe pilots, results in the saving of ONE life, then his writings have a value beyond measure.

I wouldn't be so quick with giving him the "flick" if I was you Amos.

dingo084
25th Jun 2003, 19:23
amos2

I can agree with you post as far as "I also happen to know Mac Job personally..." (and so do I)

However, as for the rest of it is a further demonstration as to your relevance to this industry.:mad: fool

ding:ok:

mutiny
26th Jun 2003, 06:56
Mac Job did a terrific job on the Digest. He was recently awarded an OAM in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for service to the promotion and advancement of aviation safety.

Casper
27th Jun 2003, 12:54
Amos is a simple idiot.

amos2
27th Jun 2003, 17:38
Hey! you lot!...

Mac Job was an amateur pilot, and is a professional writer...

let's not get the two back to front!!

Does he still write for Australian Aviation?...

the amateur pilots magazine?

I wouldn't know!...professional pilots don't buy that rubbish!

Algerhorn Lacy
30th Jun 2003, 20:23
You may have seen that Mac Job just recieved an Order of Australia for services to aviation (Queen's Birthday Honours list). Great publication he edited for all those years. Still got one from 1987. I cry every time I compare it to the sterile Flight Safety.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Jul 2003, 18:02
I just wish that the powers that be would scrap the current mag and bring back the Digest. Far as I'm concerned, the Digest was far more educational.
As someone mentioned in an earlier post it seems that the same accidents keep occurring over and over.
Accident reports ending in phrases such as......

' The accident occurred because the pilot continued flight into conditions which were not suitable...........' quite often made sober reading.

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Deaf
3rd Jul 2003, 23:22
Algerhorn

The old crash comics died long before 87 along with Mac editorship (10 years?) the theory being that there wasn't enuf b*******t, didn't matter if nobody read it so long as there was some w**k which looked good.

Many thanks to Sparrow (and others) who pushed for the gong.

dogcharlietree
21st Jul 2003, 19:16
I too know Macarthur as a Gentleman and a fine Aviator.
I was pleased to hear that he has been honoured for his services to aviation.
Many years ago I contacted BASI requesting that the early editions of the "crash comic" be placed on CD, so that we could all benefit from the early experiences, however their reply was that it was not their job (heard that one before).
I still think it would be a good idea if some department could make them available on CD.