PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Air New bases

Obi Wan Kirk
21st Jun 2003, 15:20
This is what I've heard about new bases for Ryan Air:

Berlin & Girona most likely to come in the next 6 months.

Next a base in the middle of the UK, possibly Liverpool, Blackpool, Coventry or Leeds. Manchester would be option one, but to expensive for the time being.

There are also rumours about Torp, Forli' and something in Portugal.

The Bergamo base isn't doing too well because of easyjet flying out of Linate and the idea is to shift the base to Brescia.

Hahn will be expanding very well with routes into Eastern Europe.

Would anyone like to comment or add to this?

Scandinavian
21st Jun 2003, 15:26
Well I thought that Lübeck was on the list too. They are starting to build a new terminal, but I guess you know better?

p.savage
21st Jun 2003, 20:10
New Bases?

When are they going to open at BFS?

Savage.

unwiseowl
21st Jun 2003, 22:18
Coventry is perfecct Ryanair material and has a huge population within easy driving distance.

Joe Curry
22nd Jun 2003, 02:27
Correct me if I'm wrong but the EDI-DUB route carries
the 2nd greatest FR loads outside of London?

If EDI can do this for FR to DUB, it stands to reason that
other FR routes would be equally successful?

Too close to PIK? EDI's DUB route outshines that also.

MOL loves BAA's STN but is EDI far too expensive.?

Diamond 'katana' geezer
22nd Jun 2003, 02:36
Local press down here, have said Bournemouth is on the cards, after MOL cancelled all the Buzz flights from there post buy-out

Geez :cool:

chrisleeds2003
22nd Jun 2003, 03:40
LBA-DUB has always been a very popular route for Ryanair... though some serious expansion needs to take place, with huge increases in passenger numbers recently.. :ok:

biakske
22nd Jun 2003, 05:51
Would also go for the Gerona - Berlin option.
Works at Lübeck are still in progress and not enough parking space (yet) to support ops with more than 2 aircraft.

Voldermort
22nd Jun 2003, 17:26
I had heard that Maastricht was high up the list along with Strasbourg and Lubeck with Torp as a good outside bet.But looking at this thread it seems there will be a few dissapointed airports whatever happens!:{

stevobeevo
23rd Jun 2003, 00:16
From Bournemouth Echo website

Date Published: Wednesday 18 June 2003

Ryanair plans new air routes
by Jonathan Slater

SUN-kissed destinations in Italy, France and Spain and cheap fares could be on the cards for passengers from Bournemouth International Airport in the near future.

Low-cost carrier Ryanair has earmarked Bournemouth as one of its key bases for expansion over the next couple of years, a period in which it aims to become Europe's No.1 airline.

The company is keen to capitalise on the burgeoning success of its new route to Glasgow, and while it acknowledges the upset caused by the controversial cancellation of the Buzz flights earlier this year, it says local people will reap rich long-term benefits from Ryanair's continued presence and investment.

UK sales manager Kathryn Munro discussed the airline's future plans during a visit to Bournemouth to promote a new £19.99 special summer fare.

She said the response to the Glasgow service since its launch in February has been "absolutely fantastic", with planes carrying loads at more than 80 per cent capacity, sparking plans to eventually increase the frequency to two flights per day.

"We have had a good mixture of business and leisure custom, with people travelling for up to an hour-and-a-half to fly from both Bournemouth and Glasgow," she explained.

"It is not just the budget prices which attract people to Bournemouth, but things like low-cost parking and the fact that it is much more hassle-free than other airports."

The launch of the service coincided with Ryanair's controversial decision to axe the Buzz services due to start from Bournemouth following the takeover of its low-cost rival, telling holidaymakers who had bought 55,000 tickets that the routes to places such as Amsterdam and Paris were not financially viable.

But Kathryn said the Hurn complex loomed large in Ryanair's future expansion prospects.

"We have ordered 125 new planes over the next few years, and are looking to develop new bases and routes across Europe," she said.

"There is no doubt destinations to France, Spain and Italy would work from Bournemouth, but we have to make sure our existing routes deliver first - and we are almost there."

The £19.99 fare deal, which covers flights in early July and mid-late September, expires midnight tomorrow (June 19).

tony-b
30th Jun 2003, 07:08
i heard a rumour that ryan air were looking to move to doncaster airport when it opens

dundoniandean
1st Jul 2003, 02:32
Actually MOVE to Doncaster or just OPEN at Doncaster?

sickBocks
1st Jul 2003, 17:28
Swindon North (Kemble). Good catchment (Gloucester, Bristol, Newbury, Reading, even West London). Nice new licence, ample building space.

Golf Charlie Charlie
1st Jul 2003, 20:22
Ditto Staverton/Gloucestershire (or whatever it's called now) ?

I think Coventry would be a smart choice, however.

T Hairy Henry
2nd Jul 2003, 01:11
Blah Blah Blah!!!!!!!:*

Dan84
2nd Jul 2003, 03:46
I was at Lubeck the other day and the new terminal is alot like the one is skavsta... more like a permanent marquee! I'd heard rumours in the crew room that Girona is going to be the next one, and one in middle england, possibly East Mids? And i don't know if you know... but O'Leary has just or nearly bought an airbase out in Eatsern Europe somewhere.......:O

richardhall99
2nd Jul 2003, 18:06
Does anyone know what is happening with Ryanair at Newcastle. Will they be increasing frequency on the NCL-DUB route and how about those rumours of routes to other Ryanair destinations?

Powerjet1
2nd Jul 2003, 18:17
NCl-DUB still showing at 2 x daily in the winter schedule. Nothing else at the moment

virginblue
2nd Jul 2003, 20:36
The air base you are referring to is Milovice, 15miles north-east of Prague. Milovice is now owned by Ryanair subsidiary Tara Aerospace. Ryanair is also interested in the former NVA airfield Neuhardenberg, home of the ex GDR VIP fleet, east of Berlin. Plenty of former military airfields available in Mid-/Eastern Europe. If yiu have been to Laarbruch, you know that it does not take much to become a Ryanair destination. A shed will do....

eng123
3rd Jul 2003, 07:41
virginblue,you say 'a shed will do' but what you don't seem to realise is that Ryanair almost form a partnership with these smaller airport's and they both feed off each other and grow together.Look at the expansion of Hahn.The airport are in the process of creating a whole new terminal on the back of the pax that RYR has attracted.
Ryanair's business plan works I just wish I had been clever enough and in the position a few years ago to come up with the idea.
I honestly believe that the potential for the growth and future success of Ryanair is almost limitless.As more of the ex-eastern bloc countries join the EU and so become future target markets the potential is endless.Don't know about you all but I certainly fancy a weekend in Prague,Sofia,Budapest and the like.