PDA

View Full Version : Life changing gifts

Burnswannabe
20th Jun 2003, 22:25
Whilst struggling to think of something to buy a newly graduated officer I began to wonder what, if anything, you guys/girls would buy if you were fresh out of cranwell. I was thinking anything from items that, with the knowledge you now have, you wish you had/hadn't bought, toys, useful, anything at all really. With all the experience here someone must have some good advice?!?

SirToppamHat
21st Jun 2003, 03:51
Male or female?

For Sir:

The first (Service-related) thing I bought on leaving Cranwell was a Forage Cap. Has served me very well for 13 years so that my SD Cap stays pristine for use thrice yearly.

Make it good one, padded and lined, and prefereably with the name of the individual sewn in to the lining.

I think a tailor at St Mawgan may have been selling them at some stage. I only have a plain one, but the lined/padded ones are far more comfortable.

For Ma'am:

I think I'll leave this to the ladies!

PTC REMF
21st Jun 2003, 05:09
How about a spine?

Nozzles
21st Jun 2003, 20:14
Well, you post a request for help and you get some idiot's irrelevent bitter whinge instead. Burnswannabe, I apologise on his behalf.

As an ex-navy guy, I know that some newly hatched officers were given swords. I'm not sure if the RAF guys have their own ceremonial swords, as I know they can loan them for ceremonial occasions. Because of their extreme expense, the donors are usually limited to close family. How about a hip flask or pewter tankard engraved with name and date of commission, for example?

stillin1
22nd Jun 2003, 00:12
I too apologise for the REMF.
If they aint got one and u can afford it - a lap top computer. The damn things are a godsend. If not - a good bottle of single malt.

PS nice though on your behalf.

SALAD DODGER
22nd Jun 2003, 01:08
My parents bought me a really nice leather flying jacket for my grad, and it just gets better with age and to me was the ultimate gift and something I use all the time.

If your boy is going to be living in the mess for a bit a Beer fridge is a fantastic purchace and will get a hell of a lot of use(like the ones you get in hotels). Lots of the supermarkets have offers on them and some even throw in some Ale! But any item of furniture or technology to brighten up a boring Officers Mess room (not a desk) and turn it into a bachelor pad always goes down well and will improve quality of life. Most also end up buying themseves a double bed, as the RAF ones really are naff and tiny.

If its toys your after it seems like all the junior Officers are buying XBox games consoles and DVD's.

If you want to spend less then I think the forrage cap suggestion is a great idea.

I hope I helped:ok:

REMF- Why do you even bother?

PTC REMF
22nd Jun 2003, 01:46
I know ; cheap shot, I apologise.

Jackonicko
22nd Jun 2003, 03:41
An Apple iPod. A portable hard drive of 10, 15 or 30 GB capacity, and the world's best MP3 music player. You can hook it up to headphones when running, or to the car stereo, or to speakers, and can stick 2,000 or more tracks on it. Music wherever you go! And cos it has a stainless steel back it can be engraved with name, commission date, etc.

Burnswannabe
22nd Jun 2003, 04:53
Some good ideas, thanx

MadsDad
22nd Jun 2003, 16:50
Presumably this gift would be in addition to the traditional frame for the commission certificate.

However when buying aforesaid frame it is important to make sure it will suit the colour scheme of the room in which it is to be hung (which will normally contain a lot of white porcelain as far as I can tell).

MajorMadMax
22nd Jun 2003, 23:17
If a laptop is a bit more than you wanted to spend, consider a Personal Digital Assistant (PDA), otherwise known as a Palm Pilot.

There are many great brands out there, you can get a nice color one from Palm (the m130) with an expansion slot for about $200. It synchs up with your computer and you can carry loads of information and other things in it. Mine has a program called FireViewer that allows me to download small video clips. I have the one of the guy flying under the Eiffel Tower.

However, I also keep a lot of important info that is just handy to have on hand...

Cheers! M2

Burnswannabe
23rd Jun 2003, 00:15
Not a bad idea that pda, I mean this person is a friend but I'm not buying him a laptop, he ain't that good a friend.

MajorMadMax
23rd Jun 2003, 19:44
I did like the single malt suggestion! :}

I also liked the leather jacket suggestion, my wife bought me an A-2 for Christmas and I love it. A great source on-line is Flight Jacket.com (http://www.flightjacket.com/a2.asp) for decent jackets at decent prices. Shipping to the UK may be a bit costly, but it is a gift that they will remember you by for a long time!

Cheers! M2