PDA

View Full Version : Computer restarts when powered down

scroggs
20th Jun 2003, 21:51
Wonder if anyone can help with this. Whenever I power-down my computer (WinXP Home SP1), it goes through the entire shut down procedure, including powering down the peripherals, waits three seconds then boots up again. The only way I can keep it shut down is to switch off the PSU in those three seconds when power is off!

I have checked that it's not XP re-booting on detecting a failure (option unchecked in System Properties/Advanced/Start-up and Recovery). I have removed all USB items from the mainboard (Gigabyte GA-7VAXP) sockets and put them on a PCI USB hub. I don't have Logitech keyboard or mouse software installed (though my keyboard is Logitech). I have removed all Creative Soundblaster Live software. All my drivers are up to date. I don't have the NT legacy switch in Device Manager. I don't run Easy CD Creator. I have even changed the power supply and checked that the main switch isn't depressed by the front cover of the case!

Any thoughts?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Jun 2003, 01:43
Scroggs,

Since you mentioned Easy CD Creator & XP re-booting on detecting a failure, I guess you have already read the MS Knowledge Base.

I would also check the following in your BIOS: (All have been known to cause that problem.)

Keyboard Power On is referred to on Page 39 of your mobo manual.

USB Device Wake up on S3 is referred to on Page 38 of your mobo manual.

Mouse Power On is referred to on Page 39 of your mobo manual.

Modem Ring/Wake on LAN are referred to on Page 40 of your mobo manual.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

touch&go
21st Jun 2003, 04:15
Scrggs, I had the very same problem and it was caused by the Easy CD Creator, so I down loaded a patch for it and it worked,

Link to the patch:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/kb/ecdc/eez000061.jhtml

Background Noise
21st Jun 2003, 05:37
He says he doesn't run Easy CD creator.

I do, I have the patch and my PC still restarts after shutdown.

touch&go
21st Jun 2003, 06:44
Background Noise, yep your correct about scroggs not using Easy CD, just miss read the post, but hey it's still usefull info to others at least.

Been a long day.

BOAC
21st Jun 2003, 07:22
Scroggs - that's strange, indeed. It sounds as if it has got confused between 'shut down' and 'restart'.

There's a bit about 'automatic restarts' in XP Home on this (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311806)

OllyBeak
21st Jun 2003, 10:18
Don't know if this is any help - I use a Mac, not one of them 'Make Gates Rich" machines - but I had the same problem for a while. Eventually I narrowed it down to a USB hub. If I unplugged the connection to it the problem went away.

Curiously, I re-plugged everything in different slots and things have been okay since. Peculiar stuff this technolololology.

So if you can't find another solution, try slotting things into different holes. (Ooooer, Mrs!)

fobotcso
21st Jun 2003, 17:28
There's a setting in XP where, if the OS detects an error causing it to shut down, it will automatically re-boot. There may be a clue here.

There might be a slight glitch during the shut down wanted; maybe its the kind of glitch that you wouldn't normally know about or care about. But XP will care about it if it has the wrong setting. So follow this trail:

Open System in Control Panel.

On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Failure, select the check boxes that correspond to the actions you want Windows to perform if a Stop error occurs:

1. Write an event to the system log specifies that event information will be recorded in the system log.

2. Send an administrative alert specifies that your system administrator will be notified.

3. Automatically reboot specifies that Windows will automatically restart your computer.

I've just realised that I've duplicated some of the info in BOAC's link. Mine was from a different source - still MS - but it didn't mention EZCD Creator. :\ I'll leave mine in case some readers have set-ups that don't follow links.

scroggs
21st Jun 2003, 23:03
Richard, thanks for that; I'll follow those items up and see what results (if I can find the manual!).

fobotsco, I mentioned that I'd disabled Window's Restart on Failure option in Startup and Recovery. Are you referring to something else that I can try?

Olly, tried it with all USB stuff unplugged. No change :{

BOAC, nope, it's not doing a restart. It's fully powering down before powering up again. A restart doesn't power down at all.

Thanks for the thoughts, all. Any more?

10 minutes later......

:ok: Richard, you're a star! Turned off all those options and the computer now shuts down as it should. All I have to do now is discover which activity is causing it to boot up again.

Should've asked you before I spent dosh on a new power supply!:\\

Cheers:O

fobotcso
22nd Jun 2003, 02:33
No Scroggs, I screwed up!:ooh: Inadequate reading.

Plead pressure of overwork even on a Saturday with 4 PCs line up on the bench all playing silly bu ggers because of one of my otherwise favourite Applications - Zone alarm. Ver 4 was supposed to overcome instability and compatibility problems but no sign of that yet.

Glad you got it sorted and hope there's some learning to be done for the rest of us. Well done Richard.

BOAC
22nd Jun 2003, 06:46
Me too, Scroggs! RTFQ for me.:{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jun 2003, 05:05
scroggs,

Always glad to help. As for the Power Supply, as long as it is a good Name Brand (Antec, Enermax, etc.) and you have 28a on the 3.3v RAIL with a Max Combined Wattage for the 3.3v + 5v RAILs of 200W, it was a good idea to upgrade. (That info can be found on the sticker on the PS.) A PC with an AthlonXP or PIV and a GeForce4 Ti card needs that amount or juice to run properly.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Fobotcso & BOAC, I am a Moderator for MSI's Main Forum in Taiwan, I have replied to 1,000's of posts and the same thing happens to me. You two keep up the good work! (Hard for it not to happen when you read and reply to so many posts.)

scroggs
24th Jun 2003, 16:08
Richard - good info, thanks. The new PSU is a Jeantech 400w which is a lot quieter than the original, 300w, supply, so it wasn't all bad news!

BOAC and fobotsco, hey, no worries. Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions.

Scroggs