PDA

View Full Version : Runway 36 Goma

MrNosy
20th Jun 2003, 21:08
Am I right in thinking that part of the runway at Goma was covered in a lava flow a year or so ago? What's the condition of the runway there now and how much of Runway 36 is available? Any serviceable aids?

rags
22nd Jun 2003, 03:20
Yes, the lava covered about half leaving about 6000 feet at the lake end intact.

Over run is a wee bit of a problem as the lava is about 2 meters thick. Landing is normally from the lake, so ckeck the brakes otherwise you may come to an abrubt halt

Parking is a problem as the aircraft parks next to the runway on the eastern side or on the runway at the end.

Nav aids works more then than now, but now info on when last cheched

The controler deffinately goes home at 1800 (local) SHARP

Reasonable hotels, Driving through the lava a bit difficult

:E

ShenziRubani
22nd Jun 2003, 05:32
Depends what you fly in with, Mr nosy, but for our Caravans, it was long enough. Like Rags says, land from the lake and park on the right.

policepilot
22nd Jun 2003, 07:27
I believe a few weeks back an Ilyusian 76 landed short of 36 and then bounced onto the tarmac. Must have been tight as there's not much undershoot. Then later same day a An12 overran onto the lava at the end of 36. Good thing that other Antonov doesn't park on the runway anymore.

As Shenzi says, Caravan is no prob, nor should a An12. Prob abit tight for the 76, hence the undershoot. Nothing a few vodkas won't sort out. I'm sure the airport supervisor has dealt with it appropriatly!!!
Wrgt nav aids, wouldn't think their VOR has been calibrated since.......... awhile back. Take your GPS.

MrNosy
23rd Jun 2003, 18:35
Thanks guys.

It was the AN12 event that prompted my question. The accident report didn't mention how much runway was available but I suppose I should think myself lucky that they actually did a report.

The probable cause was 'the mechanical failure due to the non-function of all braking systems on landing, which, to my way of thinking, is a bit like saying that it crashed because it crashed. They didn't seem to address the reason for the undershoot although the 'factual' part of the report might suggest wind shear - 'thunderstorms'... while descending through 20m 'caught by a violent wind'...'strong wind from the rear' etc. My guess would be that the 'brake failure' may have resulted from damage in the initial touchdown and therefore not the 'cause' but the result but we shall never know.

rags
24th Jun 2003, 01:23
Ok

The AN 12 was not even a landing accident. It was apparently parked on the grassy slopes to the east. Had a brake failure on its way to the runway and hit the lava. Not sure if the engines were running or not.

:O :O :O

MrNosy
24th Jun 2003, 16:24
Maybe there were two AN12 events - the event I'm thinking of was on landing. Flight from Entebbe via Kisangani with a cargo of cigarettes apparently.