PDA

View Full Version : role of digital intelligence in helos

slamtofakie
20th Jun 2003, 05:12
hello,

I´d like to know, to which extend computers and even autopilots play a role already in your daily job as a helicopter pilot.
of course flight computers that allow holding a certain altitude,
airspeed or course have already been developed and integrated
in some modern types.

but i haven´t read much on that issue by now, and only concerning private flying, in an online article about the overcrowded airspace in rio, where people who can afford it take helo lessons (PPL), buy a small copter, and never need a taxi again.

at the moment helicopters are still the aircraft to have the ship in selfcontrol , to really fly it yourself, not depending on artificial intelligence to a large amount like it is daily bread in the airlines, commuter, corporate sector or even the GA (fixedwing)

how long could this state endure? how many years will it take til every bell 206 will come with a simple autopilot,
prescribed by law.

how many of all you rotary flying boardmembers are already dealing with autopilots etc. in their daily job ?

M

Ascend Charlie
20th Jun 2003, 09:26
Well, for starters, any single-pilot IFR machine has a full autopilot. Some of the better-equipped singles also have a 3-axis autopilot.

In our S76, the computers I deal with are:
2 digital autopilots
2 x 2-channel FADEC computers controlling the engines
Flight Management System
3 x GPS (2 maps) so I really have no excuse to get lost
and numerous other little microprocessors that run things.

Will you ever see a B206 with compulsory autopilot? Unlikely, given the cost (over $100,000) and the weight penalty of the extra servos and black boxes. The ones who have them are the ones who need them. Most people don't need them. But for something like night ops over water, YES PLEASE!!

slamtofakie
24th Jun 2003, 00:51
sorry,

i guess this was a dumb post.
i ´ll just have to download the tech data from the manufacturers
and push these nice lil "our fleet" html-buttons at every
heli-company´s website.

M

Shawn Coyle
24th Jun 2003, 02:11
Not such a dumb question.
In fact, a very good one.
Nearly every light helicopter ought to have some form of stabilization, but unfortunately, they are all too expensive to considered for the civil market for anything beyond a fraction of a second.
There are persistant rumours of a cheap one being developed, but I'll believe it when I fly it.

Hilico
24th Jun 2003, 02:59
My first-ever heli lesson (31st August 1982 t/o at 1545 for 35 minutes, not that it made a great impression or anything) was in a SAS-equipped 206. Young and innocent as I was at the time, I didn't appreciate some of the pre-take-off checks Tony was making; pressing a trigger on the cyclic and seeing a pair of switches on the binnacle pop, which he then reset.

We took off and headed for the hovering area north of Shoreham's runway. When he gave me the cyclic, we didn't move; ah! so I'm a natural. What's all the fuss about? Then he switched the SAS off.

Charlie is right, I think this system (then!) cost about 250 thou. The value obviously isn't in making rank amateurs look cool (though I felt like James Bond), but in making the a/c almost hands-off stable when there's a high workload.