PDA

View Full Version : Tools/Internet options and Norton Internet Security problem...

BRL
19th Jun 2003, 19:55
Hi all. I just loaded the Symantec Internet Security program onto my PC. Now, when I go to tools, then Internet Options I get the following message...... This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact the system admin. Obviously its to do with what I have just put on but I can't remeber doing anything to the settings that causes this.
Any ideas how I can undo it without uninstalling??. :confused: :confused:
Thanks.

fobotcso
20th Jun 2003, 06:14
Nope! Uninstall it; if it ain't doin'what its supposed to do what's the point of hanging onto it?

See another thread where I describe how it was NIS that corrupted the Winsock set-up on a LAN I was servicing. As soon as I uninsalled NIS, things returned to normal. "Digitalis" did the same and got the same successful result.

When I catch up with myself, I'm going to contact Symantec and get them to comment on this.

BRL
26th Jun 2003, 08:08
I uninstalled NIS and re-booted and done it by the book. Still no Tools/Internet Options....... I get the same error message as above.... :( :{
Its done something to my Java settings as well. I need to get into Tools to do some changes and enable Java again. :confused:

iainpoll
26th Jun 2003, 14:28
Big Red,

I had exactly the same problem as you....its a piece of sh*t:* :* :*

In my case I re-installed windows, which worked, but was a bit extreme.

Iain

BRL
26th Jun 2003, 16:25
Hi all. I have tried what you suggested TCS and the java thingy was enabled. Thanks for that way of getting there.

This is what is said on the web-site I want to view....We have detected that Javascript is not turned on on your computer.

How do I enable JavaScript?

Javascript is a programming language that allows us to provide increased interactivity and more features on our web pages. To enable its use by your browser follow the instructions below:

Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.x

1. From the Tools menu, select Internet Options
2. Go to the Security tab
3. Click on Internet
4. Click the Custom Level button
5. Go to scripting and enable "scripting of java applets"

So I get to the settings via the TCS method and the scripting of java applets is already enabled :confused: Its also taken off my Norton Anti-Virus that I had up and running well before I got paranoid and bought NIS. There isn't even a patch on their web-site to help us out. :mad: :mad:

Ian OUCH..... I hate reloading windows. Its a big pain in the backside isn't it. I hope I don't have to go that way. Norton should do something about this, there is no warning either that it :mad:s up the PC........ :* :* :*
I thought Norton/Symantec were pretty good as well hence the purchase. Never learn will I......

BlueEagle
26th Jun 2003, 18:12
I've used all version of Norton Anti-Virus for a long time on several different OS with no problem, I haven't used their total security package though. It sounds as though another security programme maybe interfering, is that possible? ZoneAlarm Pro and Norton work well together so I doubt it is ZAP.
If you have the CD ROM for your OS you can run that and it may come up with a 'Repair and Replace' function, (depends on your OS), this could cure a problem once you have uninstalled any programmes likely to conflict, (trying to do the same job). I am using WinXP Pro with a fairly fast Dell and I can run the OS repair feature in less than fifteen minutes, you then have to go back to 'Updates' and reinstall them.

Have a good look at the programmes you are running and delete any of the little freebees that might be in conflict, suspend any big ones.

BRL
26th Jun 2003, 19:45
Yep, I have Zone alarm pro lurking in the background. I will try and see if that is the conflict.