PDA

View Full Version : New QF Uniforms

Hypoxic Harry
19th Jun 2003, 16:58
I have been told that we are going to be in our new uniforms by August.

No one has been advised of what colours we will be wearing as yet.

I did hear that we will be still wearing Navy, and that they are very like the ones we wear now.

GalleyHag
19th Jun 2003, 17:22
Harry

Cabin Crew News dated 16 June advised that the media launch will be held in Sydney on 27 June all crew must be fitted by 31 July the uniform will be delivered to crew during August and the cutover date is 22 September. Men will get 50% long and short shirts. I have heard the colour is grey but who knows we will know on the 27th.

QF skywalker
20th Jun 2003, 10:57
media launch is 27 June - venue is yet to be decided - however the launch will be B.I.G - media and big VIP's to be present.

Catwalk/fashion parade roadshow will travel around major QF ports showing off uniform and Estee lauder will be doing make overs for the girls and guys giving them tips and tricks.

Get ready to be shocked, this uniform is up there with the best. I hope our jurassic park friends at qf mainline get on the treadmill and lose some of those extra kg's and...whilst I'm on the topic I hope they take note of 21st century hair and make-up trends.

It will be up to the CSM's regardless of their enthusiasm for the job to ensure this new uniform is worn correctly by crew, however I can assure you that there will now be random uniform checks and secret shoppers on board to start kicking some butt of these old ducks who choose to not wear the uniform correctly ! YEHAA ! here comes the " NEW " QANTAS !!!

:ok:

SydGirl
21st Jun 2003, 07:33
So QF Skywalker are you saying that the blue-rinsers will have to go grey again? :p

Apparently the new uniform is also going to have a feature in Australian Vogue.

The uniforms are nothing like what Qantas has now - the overcoat looks like something out of The Fifth Element. Very bizarre.

SG
:O

Hypoxic Harry
21st Jun 2003, 12:20
We are all going to be in suspence untill the 27th then.

It sure does sound like the blue rinces will be gone. Does this mean we can't wear those curlers in our hair too?:D

MissShagwell
23rd Jun 2003, 18:50
Hi Guys and Girls,

Word has it that the new uniform for CC will be black and white while the Ground Staff will be wearing charcoal and white. The dress is apparantly to be blue and brown swirls!!! :)

SocialFlyer
25th Jun 2003, 15:51
Hi Guys,

Can someone please explain!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Whilst I think it is great that Qantas are releasing new uniforms and changing with the times, I find it hypocritical considering they are in the process of cutting jobs and forcing people to take leave.... Why waste all that money NOW, when there are more important issues to deal with financially... Issuing Uniforms to all Cabin Crew and Ground Crew will cost them a fortune... Feel free to state if you think otherwise, however I'm simply stating my opinion....

Cheers

SocialFlyer

Ozi78
25th Jun 2003, 16:14
I think the new uniform situation got the go ahead long before the cut backs started to happen. Qantas probably have contracts to honour and can't really go back on them.

qfmike737
26th Jun 2003, 09:06
Come fly with me...lets fly...lets fly away...

It'd be nice to see the QF uniform change into some new and trendy but I personally think it would be nice to see a retro theme carry through. It is the trend with many consumer products from cars to furnishings. I was looking at the QF uniform change through the decades and I have to say some of those old old uniforms look quite "smart and sexy!" Of course comfort and practicality are important and should be taken into consideration.

Does anyone else have the same view? What do the customers think? :-)

.......maybe the new coloured headrests are a little hint of what colours may be used....the coral blue....burnt orange/ochre/terracotta whatever you want to call it.

Evacu8
27th Jun 2003, 10:02
New uniforms are on the QF cabin crew website ......

It actually doesnt look that bad, love the silver and black, a lot classier than the gold/navy we have now!

It was a given that they would go with something stereotypically 'Aussie' like aboriginal prints and it looks good in the blue (Groundstaff) ... but the cabin crew DRESS !! :yuk:

Makes me glad I am a bloke ;)

The slideshow of the new uniforms is on the QF website

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/uniforms

The 'roadshow' has been cancelled - too expensive!

Hypoxic Harry
27th Jun 2003, 13:47
I am happy with the new uniforms. Well done Morrisey and QF. Very impressed indeed.

gladrags
27th Jun 2003, 15:47
Personally I really like the new QF uni's.
Yes, the dress is a bit on the "busy" side(to say the least!!) but at least it looks a bit individual, and most certainly has an Australian flavour.

Lets hope our new uni's at BA look as good.
Hopefully there will be a date soon for the launch, as the wearer trials finish this month.

gladrags :cool:

wing8
27th Jun 2003, 22:12
The new QF uniform is certainly a hit with me!-fresh,hip,unique,sexy & stylish.... the fact that you can mix-n-match several pieces is very smart indeed-can't wait to wear it!

Out with the old(thank god!),in with the new...
Well done Morrissey & QF!

vdd
28th Jun 2003, 08:41
Heaps better pictures of the uniform on the following site (hope the link works!).

The uniform looks really great when you see these pictures.

http://groups.msn.com/QANTASCabinCrewRetired/qfcrewuniforms.msnw

One of the QF guys modelling the suit looks really familar.... I'm sure he was part of the interview team in Melbourne.

Bodum
28th Jun 2003, 09:14
I like it, not sure about the "print" dress though. :yuk:

My understanding is the red version is to be worn by Customer Service managers/pursers. The brown is to be worn by Qantas Flight Attendants and the Blue by airport and ground staff. Flight Attendants pants and jackets will be black, while groundstaff will wear charcoal grey.

Qantaslink staff will wear an "ochre" version of this uniform, that we havent seen as yet.

Great photos, thanks for the link. Looking forward to retiring the red tie :D

qfmike737
28th Jun 2003, 09:42
I think the print dress looks quite nice. I think it will take a bit of time getting used to. I think international customers will certainly get attention from it. It's very slick!

blueloo
28th Jun 2003, 14:40
I think that dress looks vile. It looks like someone could spew on it and you wouldnt notice. It is such a shame to have an opportunity to finally get the uniform correct and they ruin it with matron style dresses and mid-belly buster belts (including the black dresses) as per the revolting current BA matron dresses. As one of the techies said, that dress could do with a dose of anti-fungal cream!!!

The black uniforms look quite smart, its a shame it will look like a funeral possession and show every spec of dust.

Its also weird they show tech crew uniforms when a memo has gone out saying the tech crew uniform will not change from the chief pilot.

Hypoxic Harry
28th Jun 2003, 18:04
It is impossible to please everyone, but I must say that the majority seem to be really happy with the new uniform.

Blueloo, you clearly do not like the new uniform. sounds like what ever we were given you would have a whinge about it.

Maybe Morrissey, should have stepped aside and let Blueloo design us all something. Come on then Blueloo, what would you like to see designed for us?

SydGirl
28th Jun 2003, 18:55
All I can say is thank :mad: I didn't order the print dress!

Otherwise looks good. Wonder if QF will mind if I dye my hair Ochre to match? :p

SG
:}

blueloo
29th Jun 2003, 00:15
I said the black uniforms look quite smart. (to an extent- despite that fact it will show dust and is like a funeral possession) My main gripe is that vile brown spew dress, now if your seriously thinking you couldnt come up with something better, let me make a suggestion. Keep the old dress and make it black and smarten it up a little. In fact while we are at it, why not just keep the existing uniform, which whilst maybe needing some adjustments, is probably one of the smartest uniforms around. In fact lets just keep the uniforms, save a few million dollars and stop a few thousand people being retrenched. A new uniform will not improve the service on Qantas. Something vastly different needs to be done.

cabin secure
29th Jun 2003, 08:09
I have to agree with the previous post. I think the fabric the dress is made from, clings. Ridiculous fabric, given the extreme dry climate in the cabin.
Static electricity loves the cabins climate and the dress will cling to every lump and bump, making those wearing it feel very self conscious. It's obvious in the photos the dress is doing this in normal conditions.
I have spent almost my entire working life in the airline industry. There are many talented flight attendants fully aware of what we need in a uniform, and are capable of designing it. Have they ever thought to ask us what we are comfortable in, what fabrics are suitable and what design is practical for movement.
We all know dark colours pick up lint easily, but as far as a uniform goes it is practical. Navy and black tend to suit most colourings too.
I will never see a uniform as smart or as glamorous as the Ansett one.
The cream dress with the dots was not a practical colour, but the cut and fabric were beautiful. Don't know why QF didn't use that design.

GalleyHag
29th Jun 2003, 09:51
I agree the print dress is something I will never wear. Let me ask you guys if the entire suit was made from that print would you be happy to wear it?

Qwannas
30th Jun 2003, 07:17
I quite like the print dress! I would wear it :O

Have they released a maternity uniform yet? Has anybody heard any details? I hope it is a vast improvement on the sac that we currently have. (In saying that - it is very comfortable tho :E )

Evacu8
1st Jul 2003, 01:58
Blueloo -

'Keep the old dress' ???
Qantas hasnt had a dress for (8?) years for the gals !!

There is a black version of the new one available !

I just saw the whole thing 'in the flesh' today ..... it is very, very, very brown !! For some reason, even though its the same print, the mens ties and gals scarves look a lot browner than the the dress.

I am happy I will be in the red :}

And an odd thing - the jackets of the suits have the same print (as the dress/scarve/tie) as the lining inside !!

Not too sure why, who sees the inside lining of a jacket ???? :O

Tarantella
1st Jul 2003, 19:22
Print and cut of the dress aside: It looks very shiny ...
From a safety point of view, what material is it made of and how flammable is it?

Bundy
4th Jul 2003, 22:50
Unfortunately the new uniform is a huge disappointment. The brown dress for cabin crew is revolting, and everyone is changing their orders. Brown ties with black suits, yuck! What a shame QF have got it wrong again. Pax have been commenting on the front page photo of the inflt magazine, and also giving it the thumbs down. What a shame.....

QF skywalker
5th Jul 2003, 12:39
Bundy,

All of my passengers have been commenting on how much THEY DO LIKE IT!! Different folks, Different strokes I guess.

The chocolate brown colour used for the mainline uniform is current and chic.The days of navy uniforms are gone, let's not take a step back to the days of Australian Airlines and Ansett in circa 1992 uniforms - let's move into the 21st century. If you think about the new uniform as a whole alongside the QF livery and product I believe it fits nicely. Let's also remember that the black dress with the balaringji design "rock" print scarf is the design which we will see the most, only a small amount of crew originally ordered the print dress. I find it funny how the only crew complaining that they don't like it are the ones who can't fit in it without having to use electrical tape to "secure" body parts from looking obsence in the uniform !

When you see the uniform in person it looks fantastic, the pictures QF have used on the website do not do justice for the design - but when you see it in front of you it's great - TRUST ME.

I have also heard on the grapevine that Qantaslink are the envy of the mainline crew as they would much prefer to be wearing the red/ochre colours than the brown. ( maybe QF have stuffed it up ? usually Qantaslink always get the raw end of the deal ! ):oh:

CHEEEEERS
QFSKYWALKER
p.s - another rumour is that from now on any staff member who shows QF ID at a morrisey store gets between 10%-50% off.

Hypoxic Harry
5th Jul 2003, 15:38
uniform is current and chic

Now here is a person that knows what style is when they see it. Could not agree more with you QF Skywalker.

Most of our regular and frequent flying passengers think it is a great option. Brown and earth shades are a brilliant choice. They hide the grime and also compliment most skin and hair colours. Imagine if they told us we all had to were yellow? Now that would wash everyone out wouldnt it?

No matter what is chosen, it is always impossible to make everyone happy. But I think we should ALL be grateful, that QF spend so much time and money on making us look good.

Ok, the print is not for everyone, simple, get the plain dress or suit. Easily fixed, no need to loose sleep over it. I like the print, I am proud to be an "Aussie" and to wear something that has an Australian design ( boomerang) on it, just makes me feel even prouder.

3 cheers for QF, Morrisey and Australia.

QF skywalker
6th Jul 2003, 10:29
hypoxic harry are you male or female ?

I didn't know that males could wear the print dress ? :8 :8

I'm sure your DH8 pax would love to see a single male wearing the print dress on the SYD-LDH flight !

Hypoxic Harry
7th Jul 2003, 13:55
Back to "that" print. I will not be wearing the print dress myself.:uhoh: I do think it is stylish, but not on me. My legs are not the best, and I look better in pants. :O Most boys will agree with me on that. ( I hope )

My coments were directed at the females that have a problem with the print. :ok:

SkySista
7th Jul 2003, 15:21
As a pax I have to say "pretty darn good". I mean, with the amount of staff QF has, there will always be *some* who are not happy. But from the pictures (and I understand do not do the uniforms justice) I think they look quite fresh and individual. Do have to agree that the print dress is a bit - ahem - :yuk: ... but - this is Peter Morrissey we're talking about here ;) very "modern".

Blueloo,

"I think that dress looks vile. It looks like someone could spew on it and you wouldnt notice."

Maybe that's the point? :p I can imagine having to work a flight after a baby has puked on you... at least this gives the gals some 'camouflage".... :D

cabin secure,

"I will never see a uniform as smart or as glamorous as the Ansett one."

I agree. While the black looks smart for the pilots, I have to say that navy is far more "glamorous" - and more appropriate for flyers in my opinion. Navy = sky, = pilot? anyway. I guess these days airlines do not want "glamorous" - they want, as someone said earlier "chic & smart". More "21st century". And for that I think Morrissey has done the job.

I had wondered also about that dress, from a safety aspect e.g. flammability - it looks like a synthetic, fire-friendly type of dress to me...... (though LOVE the opal color - very nice....)

And I have to say, I think it's great to have wardrobe choices. I *adore* that serving jacket - very classy!!!!

All in all, a good job. Cheers for QF, Morrissey, and thumbs up for bravery for the gals who *do* wear that dress! :D

SkySista

qfmike737
7th Jul 2003, 20:06
I must say the Qantaslink uniform does look very smart! Similarly the Airport staff uniform is smart.

I have also thought that the Singapore Airlines/Malaysia Airlines girls look great in their dresses. Their uniform is very unique and reflects the face of their national carriers and culture very well.

I'm assuming that people which dislike the the Qantas print dress etc also dislike the Singapore Airlines/Malaysian print dresses????

*I hope Qantas would change the uniforms in other departments! :-)*

Hypoxic Harry
7th Jul 2003, 21:50
The Asian carriers have simply stunning uniforms, as mentioned they really do stand out and are very traditional.

As much as they look fantastic, I, myself have always wondered if they would be able to move freely in the event of an emergancy in those tight skirts/ dresses, and sari's. I do remember hearing something about one carrier, cant remember if it was an Asian or Indian Airline, that had the FA's wearing thongs. I don't know how they would fare up in an emergancy either, or even just in day to day duties such as putting the park break on the trolley.

QF uniforms are all fire retarded. So even though the dresses may look like they are not, I know that they definatley are.

There were stories quiet sometime ago that Virgin B uniforms are not fire retarded. I'd really be interested to find out if they are or not. I welcome any Virgin B FA's to let us all know. :)

AnsettStar
7th Jul 2003, 22:23
...do they have pics of their uniforms anywhere? My friend saw a DJ pilot at Perth and said he was wearing a *baseball cap* and maroon pants...... :confused: I thought maybe he wasn't a pilot, but....

are their flight crew REALLY wearing that?!

AN*

qfmike737
7th Jul 2003, 23:01
I forget what it looks like but i know they wear a bomber jacket with epilette things... i dont know if spelt it right...please forgive me.

H.H. You like the new QF dress so I thought you would also like the SQ/MH uniforms.

As far as an emergecy goes if there was fire....I think it was hot enough to retard fire...I think it's enough to still burn your skin anyway.

Hypoxic Harry
8th Jul 2003, 21:46
QfMike,

I do like the SQ uniforms, I said that they are stunning. I was just thinking out aloud if they are really practical thats all. I know our current QF uniforms are very practical. Comfy, and can move very easily in them.

I think that SQ would have to have one of the most glamourous uniforms to look at. So much detail, stunning.

cabin secure
9th Jul 2003, 08:09
The uniform you see the flight attendants for SQ wearing in the terminal and/or hotel foyers, is not the uniform worn on the aircraft. They change out of it and the sandal/thongs.
Because as mentioned it is not practical to work in.

Find it interesting you draw a comparison with the QF Morrisey print dress.
Totally different fabric and pattern.

My concerns are the fire retardant capabilities of the QF print fabric and the fact it looks like static electricity may be a problem with that particular fabric.
You boys may not understand that unless you wear a frock on occasion.
Reason being, it creeps up your pantihose and sticks to them. Not practical or good from a safety perspective.
Will also most likely catch on fire on the way down the slide in an evacuation.

Binoculars
9th Jul 2003, 15:30
I think the dress is OK, but about twelve inches too long. :E

Err, I'll get me coat... (hey, blame cabinsecure; she invited outsiders in. :ok: )

flyboy6876
9th Jul 2003, 16:03
Don't know, the whole lot looks pretty good to me.

Agree with Bino's though - good be a fraction shorter dresses.:E

To ask a question, why would one worry about flame retardent if one is wearing tights, which I think are fairly flammable?:confused:

Bodum
10th Jul 2003, 16:15
I think QantasLink did the best out of all of us. Black with Ochre, definately looks better than the drab brown and black that we will wear in mainline . :suspect:

wing8
11th Jul 2003, 21:01
Grab a copy of the latest Vogue and checkout great pictures of print dress and CSM uniform plus article on Morrissey & uniform...

Cliff
12th Jul 2003, 00:04
Is that article in the Australian Vogue?

wing8
12th Jul 2003, 17:15
Yes,the August edition

qfmike737
13th Jul 2003, 18:30
I fount out the Virgin Blue pilots uniform is tan pants/white short sleeve shirt with epilettes and black leather bomber jackets.

DoorL1
13th Jul 2003, 21:21
How unfortunate that the Vogue spread used the incorrect uniform standards. Sling back stilettos, long hair not tied back, and no panty hose with the dress are definite no no's. A shame they used models, and not actual cabin crew. The Harper's Bazaar shoot used crew. I think it is due out in the next issue.