PDA

View Full Version : Ek perth and NZ interviews

nickmelb
19th Jun 2003, 14:34
my god its been ages since i have been on here...came across this email today from flight international....thought i would let you guys know

cheers hope everyone is well

Job Title: Cabin Crew - Open Days - Australia & New Zealand
Position type: Permanent
Region: Australasia
Company: Emirates Group
Posted: Wednesday 18 June 2003
Job type(s): Cabin crew
Description: Cabin Crew - Open Days
Dubai Based

Emirates is a major international carrier and one of the world’s fastest growing Airlines. We are an employee-focused company committed to providing staff with competitive salaries, attractive benefits and excellent working conditions.

A Unique challenge

We are currently looking for confident and service oriented cabin crew to join our rapidly expanding international network.

Requirements

 Educated to High School Level
 Proportionate height/weight ratio
 Fluency in written/spoken English is essential
 Other languages and previous customer service experience are an added advantage

Lifestyle

Dubai is a modern, cosmopolitan city with year-round sunshine and excellent facilities for health care, shopping, education, nightlife and leisure.

Benefits

We offer a competitive tax-free salary, shared furnished accommodation (own bedroom), 30 days annual leave, medical care, duty transport, industry personal travel facilities and end of service gratuity

To Attend Please visit our Recruitment Team in:

Perth

Date: Saturday 12 July 2003
Time: To arrive at below venue at 0900 prompt. Some candidates may be required to stay the whole day
Venue: Sheraton Perth Hotel, 207 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, WA
Dress Code: Business Attire

Auckland

Date: Saturday 9 August 2003
Time: To arrive at below venue at 0900 prompt. Some candidates may be required to stay the whole day
Venue: Stamford Hotel, Albert Street, Private Bag 92125, Auckland
Dress Code: Business Attire

Bring with you an updated CV with a passport size colour photograph.

craic1510
20th Jun 2003, 00:01
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

I was hoping that EK would come to Perth. I had to travel all the way to Sydney for a chance in April but missed out. Now I get to try again. Thankyou so much for posting this info!

craic1510

nickmelb
21st Jun 2003, 14:23
no probs

good luck let us know how u go

kjay
23rd Jun 2003, 21:54
Thanks for the information, I would love to attend the Perth interviews but im not sure whether Emirates still has an upper age limit . If anyone is in the know it would be appreciated.

Cheers;)

craic1510
23rd Jun 2003, 22:22
Not sure if they do kjay. The last interview I went to - there were a few older women there. (Please don't think I am trying to insult you or anything :) I don't know how old you are. I say - just give it a shot. I went to the syndey open day and they had a lower age limit of 21. I am 20 and still got right through the day. They told me they were basing employment on maturity and experience. I think it is worth a shot at least. It is a good quetsion though. Good luck anyway if you go. May see you there.

craic1510
:)

kjay
26th Jun 2003, 10:22
Thanks craic 1510. No you didnt insult me im a young 34 year old, I might just see you there along with the other hudreds of applicants.
Good luck to you i hope you make it this time round.

cheers:D

aduum
27th Jun 2003, 23:13
Hey Craic.

So as a 19 year old you are saying that I would have no chance?

Do you or does anyone know where employment guidelines could be found?

Craic can you explain the sort of process that you went through during the day in Sydney, what you had prepared for the interview, and info such as that?

Thanks a lot if you can!!

craic1510
28th Jun 2003, 02:33
Hey all

No I am not saying that you will be rejected based on your age. I thought I would be because when I turned up to the Sydney interview - the advert released in the paper that morning said you had to be 21 and over. Of course I nearly had a heart attack. I flew all the way from Perth to Sydney to be rejected.

However i asked the recruiters and they told me the age limit was not that important, so long as you are mature. In other words - if you act like you are 15 then you won't get in, but if you can show yourself to have a good head on your shoulders and know why you want the job, you will get through.

I arrived about 8 am - an hour early as I knew they were expecting a lot of people. 500 in fact!! Being one of the first in the queue we sat and waited patiently while the recruiters took in resumes and photos and gave out individual numbers. In the meantime we watched a promotional emirates video. 4 hours passed and the line still had no end. 5 hours and we had progress!! Christ that was an agonising wait.

Finally the queue came to a halt. Many of us that arrived at 9 am as planned were angry as hell thogh, because people were joining the queue at 2pm. Long passed the 9 am request.

Anyhow, they informed us that due to an overwhelming response, they would conduct the open days over the next week! I couldn't believe it - I had only planned to be there one day.

When my time arrived, the group session started with us all filling out some details on a form and answering in writing
"what is great customer service". Some people then got eliminated.

Next round was a group exercise. We had to work together to decide what we would do with so much money - where we would go and why?. Then a second group exercise. There was a list of so many objects. We had to choose 20 and put them in priority order to use if we had an emergency landing in the middle of an ocean. In other words - what would you see as useful and why. These exercise where timed.

Then another round of eliminations before they handed out final interviews. Now I got chopped at this point. I think I know why too. During the second interview, the group gave me the pen and paper and I attempted to initiate conversation. I think I may have come across as too dominating in the group. They don't want people to be too intimidating, too loud, too quite etc. they want everyone to be involved. You must also remember to sit up in your chair and smile all the time. Naturally though. Join in conversation but never interupt. be polite. be smart. be mature.

Well that is all I can say. I just think if there is anyone that is intending to try out for Emirates - JUST DO IT! What do you have to lose? I didn't mind not getting in - but I can say one thing - the experience was invaluable. Don't stress too much about age. It is worth a shot at least.

I hope everyone is lucky this time round, including me :) and that what i have rambled on about has been of some use.

Good luck

craic1510 :ok:

Oh yeah... for prep, I simply read up on the airline, what their goals and achievements are, what is good customer service, why I wanted the job, thought of some possible questions and answers and taught myself to sit up right! :D

I also made sure I had a wonderfully presented resume. This must include the passport size photo, and until the final interviews - your resume shouldn't need to include written references. If they want a reference they will let you know.

Ok see ya

craic1510 :)

ozboi23
28th Jun 2003, 16:16
I too went to the open day in sydney, it was crazy as too many ppl turned up, I went back during the week, got through the entire day and got a final interview in which i attended a week later.. I got the job and cant wait to leave.

I believe they do have age rescritions however they cant discriminate so they say they dont, that is why they will not tell you why you have not been successful.

The ideal age is 21-23, if you get in younger I believe you would have to have a strong customer service background and been in your current role for a while to show stability and maturity.

Your cv should be simple and easy to read, they get so many cvs they dont really care about how "fancy" it is just to be professional, also your photos should be professionaly done as this shows you are serious about getting the job.

During the assessment centre keep open body language, dont cross your arms or legs, and SMILE, make sure you give input into the group sessions, and encourage and compliment others on there good ideas.

This is just my opinion and advice I got when I got from friends who work up there, take or leave it but it worked for me.. I got the job..

craic1510
28th Jun 2003, 22:12
Glad to hear you got right through! I think I know where I went wrong but you could be correct about the age limit. That may have been a good reason for them to turn me down.

Could you tell me more about the final interview stage? I am attempting a second shot at my goal of being an EK FA. Its worth a shot right?

If you had any more tips about the group interviews etc. then please let me know. I would be so appreciative. When do you fly over then? You must be so excited. How long did you wait before you got the confirmation of the job?

Cheers

craic1510:ok:

aerosurfer
1st Jul 2003, 23:31
i had interviewed in Bangkok last month. now i got a job and will fly to Dubai on August.

For my final interview...
they told me not to prepare about the answer, try to be yourself not fake..they want to see who you really are.
as i am 21, no experience, just graduated from university.
i didn't prepare any question and answer. I also didn't act so smart and mature. sometimes i act like children, sometimes joking sometimes shying. i was very nervous, but i always smile. for me smile is so important.
for my opinion, be yourself not being others.

ps. this was in bangkok, i don't know the process in your country.

good luck to you guys! :ok: