PDA

View Full Version : Logbook 'red entries'

FishHead
19th Jun 2003, 12:34
Could someone from the old country help an antipodean out....

I have come across some references to 'red entries' and (I think) 'green endorsements' in logbooks... I am guessing that 'red entries' may refer to operational missions - is that correct? and if so, what are 'green endorsements'?

Thanking you in eager anticipation...

FH

Ali Barber
19th Jun 2003, 15:37
A Green Endorsement is awarded for an "instance of exceptional flying skill and judgement" or something like that. You get it for doing something good in the air that doesn't quite rate a medal. You get 2 copies of the narrative (a bit like a mention in dispatches I suppose) and they are signed by the AOC. One you are supposed to stick in your log book (it is a Green Endorsement to your Flying Log Book) and the other you frame and hang up in your toilet next to pictures of members of the Royal Family you have met.

A Red Endorsement is, I believe, still possible to be awarded although it has been a long time since it happened. It's like a Green Endorsement, only it's for something bad that doesn't quite rate a jail sentence and usually follows an inspection of the AOC's office while wearing your best blues!

The only other colourful addition to your log book is combat time which should be recorded in green ink.

breakscrew
19th Jun 2003, 15:47
Ali is quite right about Green Endorsements. 'Red Entries' in a military log book are the annual and post tour summaries found in Part 6. Part 8 is the record of service (entered in blue or black.
Hope his helps.
BS

brit bus driver
19th Jun 2003, 17:13
Didn't TQF used to annotate Royal trips in red, or am I just going slightly mad?

Background Noise
19th Jun 2003, 17:24
When did ops stuff start going in in green, all the WWII-time logbooks I've seen had their op sorties in red.

SiClick
19th Jun 2003, 22:29
My grandad's logbook had all his operational missions in red, and SARBOYs, like to put all their callouts in red?

I doubt that helps any, but at least it adds to the confusion.

Ali Barber
19th Jun 2003, 22:58
Breakscrew, agree the summaries are in red ink, but back in the good old days of single-service IFS, I'm pretty certain a red endorsement was still on the statutes in the Manual of Flight Safety. Don't know if it still exists under the new tri-service organisation.

snaggletooth
20th Jun 2003, 11:19
On SAR Helos any SAROp, i.e. operational mission/job, is entered in red. Dunno if it's the same for our Kipper-fleet brethren.

just been info'd that the kipper fleet don't make red entries if they're on a SAROp.

just us weird helo peeps....