PDA

View Full Version : Enhanced Learning Credits - Where's the catch?

gijoe
19th Jun 2003, 04:33
A little off of the beaten track but connected to the military...so here goes.

I have just signed a form to sign up for membership of the Enhanced Learning Credits scheme. This was on the advice of someone at the Royal College of Knowledge, Swindon. Signing the form hurts noone and doesn't cost anything...but where's the catch?

The blurb that came with the form said sign up and you can get £1000 per year to spend on courses for 4 years service from 1 Apr 00 and £2000 for 8 years service.

Lots of other rules about claiming after leaving etc but this effectively looks as though you could do a course for £6250 over 3 years ( not necessarily over consecutive years) and get the mob to stump up £5000 towards it. 80% of total cost etc the same as the Standard Learning Credit business ( £175/year).

So where's the catch?

I'm still trying to trace down the admin office's only copy of DCI JS 61/03 which someone has nicked and has all of the details in.

Anyone know any more?

:ok: G

SirToppamHat
19th Jun 2003, 05:37
Would have thought the DCI JS 61/03 would be available through the restricted-level intranet.

gijoe
19th Jun 2003, 17:27
Sir,

You are perfectly right in what you say...except I can only see up to 39/03 on my version !

G:confused:

slider
21st Jun 2003, 19:07
I am now registered and planning to start a course in April to coincide with the commencement of the scheme.

I understand that the individual will not see the cash, rather the learning provider will be credited direct. The information that I would like to know is what are permissible courses?

I am interested in the advanced bikini line waxing held at the Hooters Community College Texas, but I'm not sure if they will go for that!? Seriously, will they let me use it towards a JAA flying instructor rating? Vocational training after all.

If this pays out then the RAF should be congratulated on a scheme that may actually show some benefit to retention. Of course it is all too late IMHO. :cool:

opso
22nd Jun 2003, 07:34
The only catch I could find after pouring through it (if you'll call it a catch) is that the money is likely to be taxed, unlike the SLC. Still, even after tax, that's £600 that we wouldn't have otherwise received.

RubiC Cube
22nd Jun 2003, 18:15
If you are approaching retirement and don't intend to work, then the tax figure comes down. I retire a few days after the start date and have 10 years to spend my £3000 (32340). If your retirement is after the next 4 years, then that doubles to £6000. A good scheme to have up your sleeve even if you eventually don't use it. But you have to register now.

Hydraulic Palm Tree
22nd Jun 2003, 21:48
Some good information of the www.learning-forces.org.uk (http://) website.

The only potential snag as I can see is the need to fill in your Personal Development Record - now where did I put it!

HPT:)

gijoe
23rd Jun 2003, 16:51
Ops,

I thought it would only be taxed if you took advantage of the scheme after leaving - ie a 'benefit in kind' type thing. No mention of being taxed if you claim whilst still serving. The cut and thrust of this is retention after all.

G :confused:

Red Line Entry
23rd Jun 2003, 18:19
Have just registered for the scheme but what I don't understand is this: if everyone serving is entitled to register, and it's such a good deal, then why do we need to register at all? Surely, EVERYONE currently serving should automatically be included in the scheme without the need for this massive paperwork exercise!

It strikes me as if this is a purely economic measure to artificially (and to my mind unfairly) limit eligibility. And now that I have sent off my bit of paper, will I get an acknowledgement that I am now registered? - because if not then they're going to get a formal request from me prior to the cut-off date next year.

Thus we end up in the extreme situation of 200,000 application forms going in, to be followed by 200, 000 letters requesting confirmation, to be followed by 200,000 confirmation slips going out. How many manhours are being wasted here?

RubiC Cube
23rd Jun 2003, 19:38
RLE

Yes you do get confirmation, in my case about 2 months after my application. Now waiting for more details about what courses are approved and the detail about submitting a PDR.

Fox-1
24th Jun 2003, 04:40
It's all quite simple.

The scheme seems really generous because it is. The RAF can afford to be generous because they know nobody will be around in 8 years time to get the ELC. Everybody be out trying to get a pension worth something rather than the $H!T we seem to be edging towards. They might as well offer a GAZILLION pounds and 10 minutes with Kylie Minogue, they'll never have to pay!!!

RubiC Cube
24th Jun 2003, 18:21
Fox

You don't have to wait 8 years.

If you were serving before 1 Apr 00, register now and the money is available 1 Apr 04. If not you become eligible on 1 Apr 08.