PDA

View Full Version : SLF security SOP's

cattleclass
19th Jun 2003, 03:14
Yesterday i flew BA out of CdG1 back to London, and as I stepped through the security gate, with my phone,laptop,and a slew of bits and pieces in my Backpack, I was stopped by the security officer, and had an Aluminium Karibiner removed from the Zip Loops of my pack, and I was informed that it was a threat, as it could be used as a Knuckleduster. I want to make it clear to the professionals amongst you, both Pilots and Punters, that I have NO issue with being pulled aside, it is what is, but as I have traveled that Pack from London to Oz at least 3 times, even through the righteously paranoid security in LAX and Newark, with the karabiner in full view(It holds together the zips of the computer section of the B/Pack so I dont dump the contents again like I did at Narita on the escalator in Big Rush hour!).
All I wonder is, is there an internationally agreed system of Yeahs and Nays concerning the contents,exterior,size,style et al of the carry-on baggage carried day in/day out on aircraft nowadays? It galls me a bit that 2 weeks ago I took the identical flight from satelite 5 and had no problems. Please enlighten me if you can, cheers,cc/xx:confused:

PaperTiger
19th Jun 2003, 05:20
internationally agreed system of Yeahs and Nays :D:D:D:D

Most of the time they can't even agree at the same airport :* , you are at the whim of whatever :mad: is on duty.

PAXboy
19th Jun 2003, 05:43
It galls me a bit that 2 weeks ago I took the identical flight from satelite 5 and had no problems.
Yes, that is what happens! :*

I have got used to some airports commanding me to disembowel my PC bag and others, the same day, waving it through. There is no rhyme or reason to it. The people running it might choose from half a dozen different excuses and reasons for this, I certainly don't have any (printable!).

I can only suggest a velcro strap to replace the karibiner.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jun 2003, 15:41
Yep, they love to give the people who keep them in business an inconsistent and irritating service.

As sadly has been made only too clear in some other threads, there is an element of ground staff who love to 'punish' people using their own values and sometimes citing 'security' as the reason.

Banana99
20th Jun 2003, 00:24
He probably just wanted a karibiner for his weekend climbing

SLF
20th Jun 2003, 04:50
Hang on a minute chaps!

The very unpredictability of the security is surely one of it's strengths - you never know jst what is going to get checked.

I'd much rather this than a "routine" which is easily circumvented.

And yes, I lost my nail clippers eventually.

bealine
20th Jun 2003, 05:46
TOSSAS - the lot of 'em!!!

Virgin Atlantic give you a cute little gadget in Upper Class to secure your hand-baggage zip - an inch diameter hexagonal metal weight with a strong wire fastener - an instant "knuckleduster" if ever In saw one! I don't recall any incident where one of these has been used in anger though!

How many bottles of whisky are sold daily and carried on aircraft in duty-free shopping bags. Do cigarette lighters or safety matches get taken away from you?.........Do They Heck!!!

Security confiscations are being used for the "reassurance" effect ........

Sorry you lost your karabiner - sometimes this industry gets a bit embarrassing - however, from the security standpoint, they do believe they're protcting passengers and crew and, as an airline, we want them to be vigilant! Every now and then, a British tabloid will highlight yet another lapse of security and security will start taking away Grandma's hat pin again!!!

Those :mad: of September 11th have caused the aviation industry no end of trouble!

The "nail-clipprs" confiscation is IMHO well "over the top" and always causes me an inward chuckle! Here in the UK, we had a very popular comedy show called "Dad's Army" set in WW2 where Clive Dunn (God rest him!) was giving instruction in "close combat with household objects". I can just see him now......

"Very Nasty weapon is nail clippers - they don't like it up 'em, cold steel - that's what they want!!!"

Final 3 Greens
20th Jun 2003, 08:30
SLF

The very unpredictability of the security is surely one of it's strengths - you never know jst what is going to get checked

El Al don't take this view.

PAXboy
20th Jun 2003, 17:08
The weapon that I carry with me on every flight - is my trusty laptop.

As it happens, I have a lighter one at 1.2Kg but the big ones weigh in at 2 or 2.5Kg. If you were to swing one of those at another human's face, or the back of their head, it would cause severe damage.

Curiously, I have never had my laptop confiscated, Actually, they encourage us to bring them on board as they provide power hook ups and now want to makes lots of money from on-line access.

Of course, I am tongue in cheek about this and they have to find a balance between what they can remove and what they cannot but if they have it wrong on the detail, then I reckon they have it wrong at the high level too.

Final 3 Greens
21st Jun 2003, 00:14
PAXboy

Shock, horror! You mean you also have a mains unit on a cable that could be used as mace and also a power cable to strangle people with :rolleyes:

buvenbee-hind
21st Jun 2003, 20:15
Clive Dunn (God rest him!)
Resting very nicely in his villa in Portugal I think.

wing_nut1
21st Jun 2003, 21:15
Ahhh the joys of the local airport securicor. Where i work they make up the rules as you go along. As i am a SLF agent sometimes i have to take the crew out to aircraft (after they have been stuffing their faces in the cafe :ok: ) somedays you are allowed to use a particular door to go out of (the quick way) and sometimes if they are bored they stop you using this door and make you walk around upstairs and through the way that the PAX would go to get to the planes. If there is a big queue there your in for a long wait!! :* Sometimes they converskate my keys off me and tell me to collect them when i come back into my work office (there is no pen-knifes on it or anything like that) The normal airport security are ok its just the monkeys that sit by the x-ray macheine etc. By reading some of the comments here it sounds like other people suffer the same problems :sad:

SLF
23rd Jun 2003, 05:54
Final 3 -

El Al don't take this view.

Yes, but we're a long way from that level of security staffing, cost, inconvenience etc.

Considering what a mind-numbing occupation it is, I think that variability is preferable to a consistent, easily bypassed system. All in all, I don't think they do a bad job.

wing_nut1
24th Jun 2003, 05:10
Dont get me wrong SLF it must be a boring job and the randomization must be good but its just a pain when they make up differnt rules. They should all have a few set procedures set in stoen and stick to them because some planes are often delyaed becasue of their 'personal' rules