PDA

View Full Version : Deaf pax

The Nr Fairy
18th Jun 2003, 22:11
I'll be flying on Sunday, all other conditions being right, with a family friend who's profoundly deaf.

I intend to give him a thorough brief beforehand, give him a sickbag, notepad and pen for the flight, and a debrief after.

Any other things I might need to do ? There's got to be ONE of you at least flown with someone deaf, even if it's only your grandmother or wife !

Lu Zuckerman
18th Jun 2003, 23:42
To: NR Fairy

Since your passenger is profoundly deaf I would strongly suggest that he/she be seated and belted in prior to start and rotor turn and in the same condition during shut down. Since the individual is profoundly deaf he/she will lack the aural input that would indicate the noise of the engine, rotor and especially the tail rotor. Make sure every thing is static before deplaning.

Have a good flight.

:ok:

SASless
19th Jun 2003, 04:42
Profoundly Deaf ??? Could be any long serving helicopter pilot.....know dozens of 'em! Where's my ear trumpet?

Old Man Rotor
19th Jun 2003, 22:03
Wanna sell your old David Clarks...?...or are you into Peltors as well.

Was that helicopters or your wife?

Capt Hollywood
20th Jun 2003, 16:23
Took a group on a scenic flight a few years ago, all three were blind!! They had a ball and just wanted to experience the 'feel' of flight.

Hollywood. :cool:

The Nr Fairy
24th Jun 2003, 13:05
Well, it panned out not too badly, after I got myself legal with a quick LPC beforehand !

Did the safety brief with the use of the R22-specific card, got him to show me seatbelt and door operation, then did the whole trip from start to shutdown with Richard strapped in.

Communication was pre-briefed to be written questions on a piece of paper, but in the end we didn't need it. I pointed something out, and his lipreading was excellent to the point where he only wrote one word down. And, best of all, he enjoyed it !