PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft taking legal action against spammers in the US and UK

PPRuNe Pop
18th Jun 2003, 17:42
This report from FoxNews:

REDMOND, Wash. — Microsoft (search) Corp. said Tuesday it has filed 15 lawsuits against people and companies it claims have collectively flooded its systems and customers with more than 2 billion deceptive, unsolicited e-mail messages.

The lawsuits address some of the most misleading, deceptive and offensive spam e-mail received by Microsoft customers, the company said. The lawsuits accuse the companies of violating laws in Washington state and the United Kingdom (search).
Microsoft cited a Washington law that allows Internet service providers to take action against spammers.

"Today's lawsuits are exactly the kinds of action we need to put illegal spammers out of business," said Washington Attorney General Christine Gregoire (search), who joined company officials at a news conference near Microsoft's Redmond headquarters.
In London, Microsoft announced a regional anti-spam initiative that includes two lawsuits alleging the unlawful gathering of e-mail addresses and other practices that violate U.K. law.

Microsoft is seeking court orders to stop the spammers and requests unspecified monetary damages, general counsel Brad Smith said.

Representatives of the companies either could not be located for comment or did not return messages left by The Associated Press Tuesday.

Washington state's anti-spam law bans bulk or commercial e-mail with misleading information in the subject line, invalid reply addresses or disguised transmission paths. It allows for damages of at least $500 per message for individuals and $1,000 for Internet service providers.

Earlier this year, Microsoft sought unsuccessfully to weaken provisions of the law by capping the amount that could be awarded to $25,000 a day, saying it wanted to protect itself and other service providers from people seeking to hold them accountable for spam.

But the hefty financial penalties were among the reasons Microsoft decided to sue under Washington's anti-spam law, said Tim Cranton, Microsoft's senior corporate attorney.

Microsoft's suits follow similar ones filed by rival Internet service providers America Online and EarthLink Inc.

fobotcso
18th Jun 2003, 18:19
Thanks PP. Well, it's a start and better than nothing but the long-term permanent solution is going to be prevention of this rubbish before it is created, not retribution afterwards.

That will, inevitably, lead to some loss of freedom and increase in costs to all of us; including the spammers themselves.

I've got to the point where, if I check e-mail and don't get at least 5, and sometimes 20 spam rubbish messages then I begin to wonder if my equipment is performing properly. (If you know what I mean! :p )

So it is a kind of diagnostic tool.:*

PPRuNe Pop
18th Jun 2003, 18:23
I am not sure about the relevance of this. But, I have not received any spam since I have been on broadband.

Be interesting to hear if that is now a general experience.

Still get those bl***din pop-ups though! Driving me mad it is :{

Bre901
18th Jun 2003, 19:49
PPRuNe Pop : To avoid those "bl***din pop-ups", just refrain from using M$IE.

Opera (http://www.opera.com), Mozilla Firebird (http://texturizer.net/firebird/) and Netscape 7 (http://www.netscape.com) have a built-in control of pop-ups.

Opera 7.1 has some difficulties with some non-standard javascript (for which I switch to M$IE or Netscape), but, generally speaking, it is a very nice brower. Haven't tested Mozilla Firebird yet.

fobotcso
19th Jun 2003, 00:32
PP, been on Broadband 6 months and no change here; gradual increase in volume of Spam all the time.

Maybe you changed your e-mail address? Or maybe your Servr is doing a better job than mine (BTOpenworld).

ZoneAlarm Pro kills Pop-ups dead! :cool:

Mac the Knife
19th Jun 2003, 02:00
MailWasher bless it gets rid of the trash - been in for a couple of months now and I don't know how I lived without. The extra filters help a lot and so does the autocheck with the Spamcop list. The deluge started about a year ago for me (now running at 1:26 normal:spam) - I wonder what made it reach crit. mass?

McAfee's Internet Security does an excellent job with ads and popups.

I notice that only when spam starts to hurt M$ on it's home turf does it suddenly get all righteous and start doing something about it.

But M$ always figures out a way to turn things to it's advantage - expect them to ram through a new spam resistant MIME/OLE email standard that can only be generated and read by (yep, you guessed it) an M$ OS/mailapp.

Wait for it guys and girls.....

PPRuNe Pop
19th Jun 2003, 04:40
I tooks fobs advice and bought Zone Alarm Pro. A mighty powerful tool. Guess what? All the pop ups have gorn! :ok:

But..............suddenly I am getting another type of pop-up :eek:

"Runtime error" "do you wish to de-bug?" What is that? I have heard of it but never seen it - til now.

Any help with this one people's please?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Jun 2003, 06:33
PPRuNe Pop,

A "Runtime Error" is a Windows error. It means the program in question is crashing.

Which Program is causing the error?

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

PPRuNe Pop
20th Jun 2003, 04:56
Seems that it is only when I try to access CNN, ABC or Fox News Richard.

Haven't noticed it elsewhere as yet.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Jun 2003, 06:29
PPRuNe Pop,

All three of those Websites are written in Java Script. If you have loaded SP1 you should have JVM from MS Loaded. If not, try updating your WinXP Home to SP1.

If you would like to try a non MS Program, try loading:

Sun Microsystems Java (http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp)

Take Care,

Richard