PDA

View Full Version : Is TJ at it again at QF?

puff
18th Jun 2003, 12:02
Rumour is that ex QF ex AN and now at QF again TJ is implimenting at QF one of his greatest questionable decisions at AN to the the big Q now. That is a complete centralisation of port crewing. Any ex AN pilots here will tell you that the system was a complete joke at AN and took away a perfectly good system that worked well.

Port crewing officers knew the crew, and kept things at AN anyway running like clockwork, they were all either made redundant or moved elsewhere and replaced by a phone on the desk linked to Melbourne, however this was never answered as central crewing was always understaffed. Various incidents happened basically on a daily basis, and were NEVER rectified right up to the collapse....such as
1. Pilots calling up sick and no extra crew organised, delayed flights as no pilot was there, no one organised to cover the flight.
2. Complete chaos in regards to no organising of connecting crew, more delayed flights.
3. Pilots not advised of changes, IE a 737 crew would turn up to do FLTXX which was changed to a 767 the night before, but there would be no 767 crew and a 737 crew with no aircraft to fly, with a flight to pick up in another port....and just a general lack of knowledge......I remember hearing of a phone call made to central crewing that went along the lines of you have sent an A320 crew to fly a 737, what do you mean he's a pilot isn't he can't he fly anything....

As anyone knows crewing in an airline is a rapidly changing area by the hour, schedules change, delays occur, a well planned perfectly done roster can be thrown into chaos at a moments notice, the local finger on the pulse by port crewing was a great first line of defence against huge delays.....in the AN example at least it was a disaster, and beforehand pilots were told of all the great 'advantages' to them at the time....perhaps might be a case of be careful, lot of people believed he was still on the QF payroll over this decision, maybe he really does believe it works!

Buster Hyman
18th Jun 2003, 13:12
Never let both sides of the story get in the way of a good whinge puff!:rolleyes:

A new system is only as good as the amount of people willing to give it a go. The centralised process would have worked at AN, had it not been undermined from almost all sides. I include some management, some crew & certainly some poor choices for crewing officers.

Can you categorically say that prior to centralised crewing, any of your examples never occurred? How many times when there was a complete lack of crew, was it due to the fact that no crew were available or willing to do the duty? Or the communication process at the IOC had completely fallen down, meaning acft switches were unknown.

I'll agree that CCU was understaffed, given the sudden increase in sick leave that was not accounted for when levels were set, and the fact that the entire crewing process was underestimated by management. Don't forget, the APA & FAAA were included in the process for establishing AN's CCU!

Don't get me wrong, I'm no TJ fan, but if he goes down that path at QF, make sure the ex AN boys get a hearing & suggest ways to avoid the deficiencies experienced at AN's experiment.

PS. I'm aware of one ex AN crewing officers in SYD, get him involved too! He's ex port crewing at Tulla....:ok:

Sir Shiraz
18th Jun 2003, 13:21
This gem from Puff.

a well planned perfectly done roster

Well I'd like to see that........

invertedlandings
18th Jun 2003, 15:43
Latest rumour was that TJ was off across the Tasman to head up Jet Connex...I heard 6 more 733's to go across to fly the Tasman...

Evacu8
18th Jun 2003, 22:25
Not too sure about techies

But was told by a mel cabin crew scheduler yesterday that all cabin crew scheduling will be centralised in SYD as of Sept.

AlbertRoss
19th Jun 2003, 10:46
Interesting reading about how the system worked, or didn't, back at AN. Also interesting to see how it doesn't work at DJ either - funny how the 'great hope' FG brought in to DJ to fix up their mess was ex-AN too, and how similar the on-going problems at DJ are to what was experienced back at AN. Shear co-incidence I'm sure...........
But at least they can blame it on Geneva. Or that it has to be expected with a start up carrier. Or because of the introduction of Sabre. Or due to the commercial department changing the schedule at the last minute. Or whatever new reason they dream up next month.
But until someone takes charge and accepts that they have incompetent amateurs running the ops department the same old stuff-ups, a la AN, will continue to occur.
Sorry, now back to the QF thread. But I feel better for it :ugh:

Sly'n Smiley
19th Jun 2003, 21:03
I'll never forget being called to operate to MEL pax back to SYD. While I was waiting in the gate lounge, another FO was there to operate back. He had just paxed to MEL now operate SYD..same aircraft, same flights...

halas
20th Jun 2003, 00:45
l remember paxing from BNE down to SYD to be told the flight was CX, but flying would be rostered the next day in SYD. This was as l was trying to sign on to get a roster change.
Stayed at the hotel for the night. Next day, equipment substitution, no flight but a freighter tonight. That was rescheduled for another crew, but told to be on standby the next day. Rung to be told to operate flight back to BNE next evening.
Next night paxed home to BNE on the flight l was to operate. Sat next to another FO who had been given the same roster and changes as my self.
We were both in the same hotel for three whole days doing nothing, except accruing DTA.
Plus the crew who brought the aircraft down were paxing back, and the crew operating had paxed down

Well done IOC (Intellectualy Out of Control)

halas

TIMMEEEE
20th Jun 2003, 08:49
Yes the centralised crewing concept an AN was an unmitigated disaster for a few simple reasons.
Firstly communications (or lack thereof).

When there was a roster change you rang the crewing hotline only to hold for up to 15 mins.
I got a message (between flights) to call up crewing once re a change.
After waiting for about 20 minutes I finally got through and was told that I was to immediately proceed to a different gate to crew an aircraft to CBR which had its pax and cabin crew aboard and waiting.
Now this took me another 10 minutes to walk back to my a/c, get my gear then walk another 10 mins to the gate at the other end of the terminal at SYD.
Very god-damned efficient and 50 odd mins wasted!!

QF uses ACARS very efficiently as opposed to AN which simply didnt.
They will hopefully have more lines of communications and more staff than had AN.
Only then and with somewhat better trained staff will the system be able to cope with a minimum of inevitable hassles.

Sly'n Smiley
20th Jun 2003, 09:01
Does anyone out there have a copy of the infamous letter writen by a certain A320 FO. I'd love a copy, for posterity's sake...

Buster Hyman
20th Jun 2003, 11:20
Yes Timmee, ACARS would've been a godsend, but that was "owned" by flight dispatch & even those in crewing & ops at the IOC that knew how to use it, were not allowed....BTDT!:mad: