PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines

happyrainbow
18th Jun 2003, 07:48
Does anyone know when Australian Airlines will be recruiting again? Ive heard they took on around 40 recruits in March, and was wondering if there was any news on further recruitment any time soon.

And for all you Australian crew, whats life like living in cairns?

downtheback
18th Jun 2003, 10:37
Hi Happy Rainbow,

Life in Cairns is great and most crew who moved here for the job have settled in well.

Flying has been affected by SARS as our destinations are are all in S. E Asia but things are about to start to pick up as the media hype has stopped and people are starting to travel again.

Next week we start flying to Kota Kinabalu, Malaysian Borneo . Our inaugural flight is from Sydney Sun 29th. In July we also start Bali and our other SE Asia destinations are regaining momentum.

Unfortunately -re recruitment. 40 more Cabin Crew were taken on in March and that was just before the SARs "outbreak" and hype. Since then we have had a surplus of staff and leave of absence or advancement of annual leave has been given in June, to those who wanted it.

Things are looking good for further recruitment later in the year but I have heard that they have people on the books whose training schools were suspended with the sudden downturn.

Most recruitment is announced via the website www.australianairlines.com.au

Keep your eye on that site later in the year and good luck

Hope all is well with you

downtheback

Evacu8
18th Jun 2003, 22:45
Was told the other day that the QF Cabin Crew Manager has stated that due to the crew surpluses at QF, and a need for crew soon at Aussie, they will let QF crew take a years leave without pay ...... at the same time getting preference to get into Aussie for a year to fly there. Then after their year without pay (but working at Aussie during that time), coming back to QF.

Anyone heard this?

Along those lines, can anyone tell me what the pay rates for Aussie crew are? I could do wtih a year in CNS !!!

SYD is a bit cold at the moment ;)

cabin secure
19th Jun 2003, 05:35
Sorry to burst your bubble Evacu8 but you wont see Qantas cabin crew spending a year at Aussie Air on a year off without pay.
Any QF staff wanting to come to AO must sit through the same interview process as everyone else and if offered a position, must first resign from QF before taking up a position.
Being a QF flight attendant doesn't mean you have what AO is looking for in its crew members.
Don't forget how many ex-AN didn't get through the interviews,
And of course vice-versa.
I had what AN wanted, AO knew I had what they were looking for, however I didn't have what QF, Sunnies, Impulse, Virgin, Alliance and National Jet were looking for in their F/A's.
All Airlines have different selection criteria based on their individual Airline "culture".
Being a subsidiary of QF doesn't mean our "culture" is the same.
Just ask any of our techies that have come across from QF!:O

raft rower
19th Jun 2003, 13:58
Further to what cabin secure has posted, the AO EBA doesn't allow for cross crewing between AO and QF. I think that there is the same amount of truth in that rumour as there is in the rumour that Ansett will soon be flying to LA:hmm:
All i can say to happyrainbow is that the airline industry is a continually changing business, so keep yourself informed and good luck.

QF skywalker
19th Jun 2003, 15:18
evacu8,

I think you will find that the faaa is in talks with QF about sending some surplus QF s/h crew on voluntary "secondments" to Impulse for 12months. Impulse are employing more crew externally when the positions could be filled internally.It's about time QF realise that QFLINK/QF are one wholly owned group - transfers should be easy and not hard as QF make it at the moment.

Sunstate and Eastern REFUSED many years ago to allow QF crew to have the option to fly with them so this is not an option.

With dixon saying no more full-time jobs for QF and more fixed-term, casual, contract - I honestly believe AO would be the way to go !

With many of us in the regionals waiting to progress we have no hope as we can only go across to QF in full-time positions. If QF do not have any more FT positions then we are STUFFED.:{ :ugh: :*

happy landings all
QF SKYWALKER

GalleyHag
19th Jun 2003, 17:14
I read a notice put out today by QFlink for QF Flight Attendants advising that recruitment will be happening within all regionals being Eastern, Sunstate and Impulse and we can apply to all 3 regionals. We must resign from QF as a flight attendant and join the regionals as a new employee. We will still be required to be interviewed however we bypass part of the recruitment process. We are not guaranted positions and they are not "secondments". Under the terms of Leave without pay we are not able to fly for a regional or so I am lead to believe, however the notice I refer to above clearly states we must resignf first.

No one knows what is going on Geoff Dixon issued a speech earlier in the week "The Future of Work" within Qantas and it was made VERY clear that "contractors" are the way of the future.

Maybe they are offering us the opportunity to resign before we are forced out. Under both the Voluntary and Compulsory Redundancy packages (the later not released YET) there are periods which must lapse before applying for ANY position within QF again.

As for the regionals especially Eastern I feel for you guys as the timing of Dixons speech on "contractors" just by coincidence of course came straight after your YES vote on the EBA.

I have heard QF are looking to slash 100's of crew from short haul and I personally believe this has NOTHING to do with the downturn but in fact cost they are wanting to bringi in cheaper crew (contractors) but first need to shed the more expensive crew.

We are also loosing more of our flying as all Tasman flying that we do will now be going to Jet Connect in Auckland (something like $23K) per year as apposed to us.

QF skywalker
20th Jun 2003, 11:08
galleyhag where can we view this notice to qf staff from qflink ? is it on the QF cabin crew site or intranet ?

Trollywally
20th Jun 2003, 11:12
Hopefully now with SARS on the decline and confidence slowly begining to return to the travelling public AO will soon be full steam ahead again. I know that flying rosters were cut dramatically for AO crew can anyone out there tell me if you guys are back to full flying rosters yet or will be soon?
Some people who went to interviews earlier this year and got through that initial stage have recieved letters saying that there "application is on hold until 31 Dec 2003 for consideration in the final stage of the process, the overall assessment." I would assume that these people (not sure how many there are) would be concidered first for any recruitment.
On that subject , with new routes starting in June and July and with a 5th aircraft coming late Oct. would it be just wishfull thinking on my part to HOPE that this recruitment might happen sooner rather than later??????????????

cabin secure
20th Jun 2003, 12:25
Not quite back to full flying, but things definitely on the improve with the introduction of 2 new destinations at the end of this month.
No interviews for some time yet, however the minute we hear we will post and you can keep checking the website.
Good luck!:ok:

vdd
21st Jun 2003, 20:18
As per travelbiz.com.au

First Australian Airlines Bali flights sold out

All seats on Australian Airlines' inaugural flights to Bali on June 27 and July 4 have been sold, according to the airline.

And the carrier claims only a "handful of seats" remain on its inaugural service to the Malaysian state of Sabah on Borneo island on June 29, and also on the following two flights.

Acting ceo Andrea Staines said the "response to these flights was justification for the airline’s decision to launch regular services to the destinations and also great news for tourism in Bali and Sabah".

Non-stop services to Bali from Sydney and on to Singapore three times a week begin on July 25.

Services between Sydney and Sabah start on June 29 followed by services between Cairns and Sabah via Singapore on July 30.

20 June 2003

kaka1973
24th Jun 2003, 09:53
I heard that Australian airline will be opening syd base sometime..

Is this true???

missleadfoot
24th Jun 2003, 14:29
kaka 1973,

This question has been thrown around so much since AO began operations and there is still no word on where or if a second base will be created. It would have to be worth while for them to create a new base and even though they are starting flights ex Sydney I think you will see there are only about 3 per week (2xDPS + 1xBKI), plus the 6 weekly shuttles between CNS-SYD. It may be a good start but I am sure there will have to be much more capacity out of SYD to justify a base there. Currently the Cairns base operates 34 flights per week on normal schedule. If they can continue with their plan, which is to focus a bit more on outbound tourism who knows, but at this stage there has hardly been word said at all of a second base, just speculation. Who knows, this industry is so unpredictable at the moment. My money however is on SYD, followed by MEL, DRW, PER. We shall see but I wouldn't expect anything in the short term. I would say another 18-24 months before there is a 2nd base, and I am trying to be realistic here.

Alpha Charlie Bravo
25th Jun 2003, 12:44
Cabin Secure you've stated the official line very succinctly, however, the official line was established pre SARS and we all know how 'fluid', to borrow a management phrase, the current situation is.

Do the likes of you or I know what is going to happen? No, not even management and the unions know, for now. Maybe QF crew will be seconded, maybe they won't. Bet your bottom dollar thats what the FAAA will push for prior to the company moving to CR for mainline crew and before AO recruit off the street. Same same for Impulse.

Best advice to all prospective punters, keep your documentation up to date, your interview techniques polished and a bag packed and ready to go at a moments notice. Nobody knows with any certainty how this will play out, except for Cabin Secure it would seem.

GalleyHag
25th Jun 2003, 18:10
QF Skywalker

Sorry for the delay.

I read the notice last week in the Sydney base was on QFLink letterhead and no it is not available on the QF CC website that I know of.

It stated that we would have to resign etc etc, the relevant EBA's, how to apply, the bases available and the relevant managers name and OCS address.

I hope this helps.

qfmike737
26th Jun 2003, 09:11
Is food and beverage experience a "must have" when applying to Australian Airlines? I was unsuccesful last time I applied and I've heard that food and beverage experience is highly regarded.

raft rower
26th Jun 2003, 12:01
RE: beverage experience (qfmike).
F/B experience wasn't a must have last year when I started and still don't think it is essential for employment. You must have the RSA and Senior First Aid though. AO want people who have a knowledge of Asian customs/culture and knowledge of a senond language is desirable. Hope this helps. Good luck.

mid assist
28th Jun 2003, 18:38
Alpha Bravo Charlie

The culture is very different at AO, I dont think there will be any Qantas cabin crew being seconded up in Cairns. If a QF employee wants to work for AO and were successful in there aplication, then they would have to resign. I worked for QF for 5 years before starting with AO, and it was the best move of my career. I tell you AO is a great little airline, forging a reputation for outstanding service in it's first few months. We all know it's not as glamerous as QF long Haul is, but these days the travelling public isn't really looking for glamour.

Cabin Secure, i think you are right on the money.

SinSling
30th Jun 2003, 20:08
qfmike737 - Although F&B experience specifically may not necessarily be required, I can tell u that the recruitment teams here are looking ppl with not less then a min of 2yrs Customer Service experience (amongst other things of course). This could be in one of various fields. As also mentioned, enthusiasm and an understanding and respect of Asian culture is essential. Proficiency in one of the priority languages would be of great advantage, however may not be necessary, dependant on intake. I wish u good luck with it all.:ok:

Cabin Secure, I'm with you! ;)

qfmike737
30th Jun 2003, 22:36
Ok thanks for the replies guys it has helped. I haven't had very much food and beverage experience. I have the RSA and Senior First aid plus a few bar courses etc + the extra language and asian customer service experice etc However....the 2 years minimum customer service experience may have something to do with it! :-)

Hypoxic Harry
1st Jul 2003, 11:02
Sure you have had customer ervice experiance. The flight attendants are your customers. You should really make the interviewers aware that if you do not give the correct ammount of catering or the right meals its the flight attendants that will be contacting you to fix the problem. We are your customers in a way. Internal customers. You can really run with that if you use your imagination. Its all true though, I know with our catering, I often have to liase with the guys.

Just an idea for you. Dont be to quick to think that you have not got any customer service experiance..... You guys do a fantastic job!:ok: