PDA

View Full Version : BMI in bed with Ghana Scareways ?

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 06:53
From the Airline forum ... think it might be of interest here ..

Baring any unforeseen disagreements between Government and England-based British Midlands International (BMI), a new company will soon be formed to take over the management of Ghana Airways. The company, Fly Ghana Limited, which is described as a ''Special Purpose Vehicle'' company will be expected to last a period of not less than three years and not more than five years.

The government of Ghana is also expected to hold a ''Golden Share'' in the new venture to ensure absolute control of the company.

Under BMI proposals, Ghana Airways, for the period that Fly Ghana Limited would be in existence, will function as a separate entity during the transitional phase and would continue to provide an operational airline infrastructure, an Air Operator’s certificate and its vested traffic rights as the designated national carrier of Ghana.

Eventually, Ghana Airways and Fly Ghana Limited will be integrated into a new company to be known as the ''New Ghana Airways''. The proposals of BMI have been sent to government and was recently submitted to Cabinet for appraisal. - Independent.

rags
18th Jun 2003, 16:05
I do not know if the Nigerian Airways/Air Nigeria saga was on pprone. Some British Company lost a lot of bucks in that deal that sound very much like this one. Stil fighting in the courts.

Sounds like this is going to be another deal with an African Airline that is going to cost some one a lot of $$$$$

Reminds me of a song that ends with "................When will they ever learn"

Guns
Now vanderm is going to hit me again

:ugh: :ugh: :ok: :E :E

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 16:15
Lo Rags,

Yeah it was discussed. I know you are new here. The SEARCH function on PPRUNE is really fantastic - if you ever want to search on something.

Just one word in a heading or a thread is enough to find it.

If yiou have time - very interesting if you go through the "history" here.

Cheers,

Gunnss

tally
19th Jun 2003, 07:57
Rags,
Regarding the WT/Air Nigeria deal, there was an unorthodox move to bring in Air Nigeria thru the back door. unfortunately, alot of people screamed foul, so it had to be dumped. I guess the point of my gist is, if you have to get involved in such deals, do it the right way. Signing secret deals with the minister does not guaranty success.

Time 2 Spare
20th Jun 2003, 08:03
Ghana Airways is currently using an A330-300 operated by Skyservice Airlines of Canada. The A330, C-FRAE was until recently flying for Khalifa in Algeria. Talk is that the deal with Skyservice is going long term. Hope they're getting the money up front!