PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans/Arnage Airport

Michael111
18th Jun 2003, 02:28
Evening all

I have just got home after a fantastic weekend watching the Le Mans 24 hour race. We were camping opposite the airport and as well as hundreds of private aircraft and dozens of helicopters, there were a number of commercial aircraft evident. I noticed KLM & BA and there were others (all white 146/RJ) .

My question is is this a regular route or were they charters? I suspect the latter is true as the airctaft seemed to be in situ over the weekend. Does anybody know where they fly in from?

I wonder if the crews stayed on a campsite as the nearest hotel I could find was about 40 miles away :rolleyes:

Any info appreciated

Michael

Flat Cap
21st Jun 2003, 02:38
M111

I have done a couple of 24 huere du Mans trips myself along with a few mates in a Cherokee 6, hugely entertaining and being home on Sunday by 8pm in time for a beer or two certainly beats fighting your way through the post race traffic out of Le Mans. The a/c parking is a bit expensive about £90 3 days but on the whole its well worth it.

Yes almost all the aircraft you saw were charters, I think regionale operate a schedule service but don't quote me. Several companies offer seats on these charter flights from various destinations around the uk. I have a vague collection that a ticket london le-mans-london costs around £400 or there abouts. They advertise in the back of the various Le Mans glossy mags avaiable through out the year prior to the event.

hope this helps
Flat Cap