PDA

View Full Version : Planetair

galley-wench22
17th Jun 2003, 19:03
Does anyone know what has happened to Planetair and LBA? At the moment they are operating more like a tour operator and not an airline.

All their flights are charters using Air Luxor, Hola Airlines, Astraus and LTE.

Any idea if they are going to set up with their own aircraft? I heard a rumour that they were going to have MD83's least from Flightline???

bmibaby.com
18th Jun 2003, 02:13
When they launched their service always seemed to be more like a charter airline than a no-frills airline, in the regard that they only have one flight a week to most of their destinations, and that the airline only seems to operate on a weekend.

Apparently, they were starting off with an MD-80 or equivalent but with their current schedule, I doubt if they'll make it past October.

jmc757
18th Jun 2003, 04:17
Planet Air are in fact (at the moment) only really a tour operator. They buy allocations of seats on the mentioned charter airlines and sell them to the public. Don't be confused, the flights are not exclusively operated for planet air, other tour operators have seats on those aircraft as well.
To be fair to them, they have some really good fares on their website!! Whether they plan to get an AOC and aircraft in the future, I do not know, perhaps this way of starting business is a way of testing the market?? Good luck to them!!

682ft AMSL
18th Jun 2003, 06:31
The original plan was to lease an MD-83 (I believe from Flightline) which would be based at LBA between Thu-Sun operating 8 return sectors and would do some work out of PIK for the remainder of the week. At short notice, the agreement to lease the a/c and crew fell through and so Planetair were forced to reduce their programme and find alternative capacity in the charter market. Hence they have Hola (ALC), Luxor (FAO), Astreus (AGP) and LTE (TFS) operating their services. All are exclusive to Planetair, except the TFS which operates jointly with the MyTravel Group.

Seats are sold directly through the company website, by independant travel agencies throughout Yorks and by the main seat=only brokers on the internet. Seats on this basis are currently bookable until March 2004.

galley-wench22
18th Jun 2003, 17:44
I wonder if they will last??

When they first launched they said that they would be no frills. Acording to their web site, they are full service!!

Well, good luck to them!