PDA

View Full Version : Followup to BK117 crash in Wairarapa NZ

Steve76
17th Jun 2003, 10:36
Remember this one?
Pilot hits tree and loses skid. I went looking for the original thread but couldn't find it.
Here is the news caption.

Rescue helicopter written off and to be sold by tender

17.06.2003 10.36 am

The Wellington rescue helicopter badly damaged when it crashed into a tree in January has been written off and is being sold by tender.

The Life Flight Trust BK 117 helicopter hit trees in the Rimutaka Ranges after being called out to transport a patient from Masterton Hospital to Wellington.

One skid was badly damaged, a window was broken, a tail fin was ripped off and communications with the machine were disrupted.

Pilot Sue Dinkelacker was badly hurt but kept the machine flying and headed to Masterton where tyres were stacked to allow her to land the badly damaged machine.

It is understood she is unlikely to return to flying rescue helicopters.

The badly damaged machine has been taken to Ardmore in south Auckland where it has been offered for sale by tender.

Insurance assessor Graeme Tolley said the helicopter could probably be repaired and put back in the air but it would be expensive.

"But the underwriters decide to write it off rather than repair it," Mr Tolley said.

He said the machine could cost $600,000 to repair.

He said one consideration in the decision to write it off was the operational need of Life Flight Trust to get another rescue helicopter in the air.

Crew chief Dave Greenberg said the trust had another BK 117 flying on rescue duties.

Tenders for the machine close at the end of next month.

BK 117 (Bolkov Kawasaki) helicopters are considered ideal as rescue helicopters and several are flown as dedicated rescue machines in New Zealand.

They have a 450 nautical mile range when fitted with long range tanks and can carry two stretcher patients.

- NZPA

Helinut
17th Jun 2003, 17:14
Has there been any formal/official accident report to provide illumination??

Big Beres
19th Jun 2003, 10:23
I do know that the female pilot has indeed found a new job.
Flying ME SPIFR for a central North Island EMS operator......