PDA

View Full Version : Aussies Military Flight Training in US?

46Driver
17th Jun 2003, 07:48
We had some Australian Army officers here today at NAS Whiting in Pensacola, Florida looking at helicopter training. Didn't get more than a few seconds to speak but the Aussies are evaluating doing some rotary training here instead of at Fort Rucker. Here in the States, if you are an Army helo pilot you start training in helos - if you are a Navy, Marine, or Coastie, you start in fixed wing and then transition to helos (after about 120 hours in a T-34C) Curious to know how the system works in Australia as well as England.

Double Asymmetric
17th Jun 2003, 18:49
Prospective Australian Army pilots complete a fixed wing course of approximately 100 hours on the CT-4B, a two seat side by side piston engined trainer. If completed successfully, they then progress to rotary wing training on the Kiowa. Refer below for all the gouge.

www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/Army148.html

Training Risky
17th Jun 2003, 19:40
Here in the UK:

All RAF pilots carry out Elementary trg on the Grob115E Tutor. (It used to be the Bulldog or the Slingsby Firefly T67M260.)
They are streamed FJ/RW/ME at the end of this course, then go on to fly either the Tucano/Hawk..... or AS355 Squirrel/B412 Griffin...... or the Jetstream T1(?) and then onto type.

All Royal Navy pilots do Elementary on fixed wing types (used to be the Firefly with the RAF and Army, but I gather the joint system of elementary fg trg (JEFTS) is being scrapped.)
Most RN pilots go to the tri-service DHFS at Shawbury to fly the Squirrel, and then onto either ship's Lynx, Marine Gazelle/Lynx, Commando Sea King, ASW Sea King, or ASW Merlin EH101.
A couple go to train alongside the RAF on the Tucano/Hawk.... and then the Sea Horror.

All Army Air Corps pilots carry out elementary trg on fixed wing with the Navy (but as I mentioned, I'm not too sure if the joint approach is being continued.)
Then they all fly at DHFS on the Squirrel, then down to Middle Wallop to fly Gazelle or Lynx. (I don't think the Apache sim is operational yet (?))

Hope this helps?

Low Ball
17th Jun 2003, 19:49
Training Risky: Just to let you and other 'Pruners' know the Apache Sim is operational and has been since December 2001. The second course of QHIs is just about complete and the first ab-initio Apache course will start in September.