PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity meat bombs.

Smoketoomuch
17th Jun 2003, 04:20
Look chaps, she's not exactly my favourite celeb but if you're going to throw them out I can think of far more worthy candidates.
I had that Paul Daniels in the back of the cab once.

Cheryl Baker
A skydive over Gloucestershire ended in agony for
television presenter Cheryl Baker who broke her ankle while
filming for new ITV show Drop The Celebrity at RAF
Kemble.

The 49-year-old had jumped from a Hercules, plunging
7,000ft at a speed of 120mph.

Crowds at the airfield were horrified as she landed
awkwardly then writhed in agony while she was given
medical attention.

Baker said: "It was my own fault. My instructor told me what
to do - I was meant to put my legs up but my natural instinct
was to put my feet down and run and my leg is now in a
plaster cast."

The show will be screened this summer, it features
twelve celebrities are in a transport plane circling an air
field. They have to prove their celebrity status by revealing
how low they have stooped for fame.

KPax
17th Jun 2003, 04:45
I believe that the REDS are on the next show talking about how low they had to stoop.

seafuryfan
17th Jun 2003, 05:09
"GETOUTTHECAB!!"

"What?"

"GETOUTTHECAB!! Thats what I say to poeple, when I want them to get out of my cab"

(burp) "Right you do"

Cheryl Baker got out the cab.

BlueWolf
17th Jun 2003, 07:39
Sounds like she got away slightly better off than another poor unfortunate I recall reading about; somewhere in Pomgolia a few years back a young lady jumped out of a perfectly serviceable aeroplane at an airshow of some description.
If memory serve correct, it was either a fundraising stunt or a prize for something, organised by a radio station.
Anyway, the said jumper drifted off course and landed in the still spinning blades of a helicopter which had landed moments before.
Maybe others remember more detail?

Archimedes
17th Jun 2003, 09:03
Blue Wolf,

Found a reference to it in Hansard - dating back to May 1989. No details of the incident beyond your recollection. A young woman, carrying out a parachute jump (her first) for charity, came down amongst the rotors of a helo, with fatal results.

The implication from the point raised in parliament (by Ann Widdicombe) was that her lack of experience meant that she didn't really have any idea of how to steer ; if she had, then she could have avoided the helo.

This was followed a year later at the same aerodrome if Hansard is correct by another woman (this time on her 35th jump) landing in among the props of a light aircraft, with identical results.

The Nr Fairy
17th Jun 2003, 13:54
There was an accident at Thruxton a fair few years ago - so far back it's fallen off the AAIB reports - where a parachutist wenth through the blades of a running helicopter. Procedures were changed to ensure aircraft crews called for start if parachuting was going on.

That's as much as I know, I'm afraid,

FJJP
17th Jun 2003, 14:36
After the para/helio incident, the rules were changed for airshows. All rotors and props have to be stopped when a para jump is programmed during the show. Usually that means that the pleasure helios depart before and return after the para slot.

Makes sense really...

MadsDad
17th Jun 2003, 15:01
Not as dramatic but some years ago someone I worked with did a parachute jump, collecting for charity. He also had trouble with his steering and ended up landing astride a barbed wire fence. :uhoh:

No permanent damage (allegedly anyway, we took his word for it) so it could have been worse.

(Also when I sponsored him I did a 'double for breakages' clause for a joke. Cost me that did.

Nozzles
17th Jun 2003, 22:24
Last year I was sitting in the passenger cabin of a cut-price airline's widebody at a Scandinavian airport that was hosting some kind of parajumping event. Despite being late, we held, engines running, short of the main runway for quite a few minutes. The answer came when various colourful parachutists began thumping in to the ground either side of us. Presumably after the last one had been accounted for, we taxied on, then roared off towards Blighty. Marvellous.

Rattus
19th Jun 2003, 09:21
I'd be 'ckin furious if some lunatic brolly dolly damaged anything I'd signed for.:{
I'd make her fill in all the forms for starters. :E

PPRuNe Towers
19th Jun 2003, 20:51
Pedants Addendum:O :O

The skydiving accidents happened at Thruxton and Headcorn.

Regards
Rob

newswatcher
19th Jun 2003, 21:49
Never could "Making your mind up" be more appropriate!

Surly Bondslipper
20th Jun 2003, 00:00
Luckiest parachutist/aircraft interaction I have heard of was the guy who landed just in front of a running warbird (P51 I think) at an airshow. The canopy caught on the spinning prop, which began to wind him in rapidly by the lines to his fate. The engine was killed just in time for the very last compression to tap him lightly on the helmet with the blade tip. He tottered off to the beer tent.

treadigraph
20th Jun 2003, 00:33
Surly, the P-51D incident was at the Biggin Air Fair in the late 60s.

The pilot was Charles Masefield, well it certainly belonged to him... quick reactions, very lucky jumper! :ok:

There was also - allegedly - an incident at the West Malling Warbirds show in the 80s when a chap jumped out of a DC-3 at lowish level, suffered a roman candle, struggled out of the main (against training?) and deployed his reserve which opened just as he landed in the kiddies' bouncy castle... further legend has it that he handed the attendent 10p as he walked out...

Captain Gadget
20th Jun 2003, 04:02
Wasn't there also an incident where a parachutist's canopy 'candled' and he fell, rather spectacularly, through a hangar roof?

When the onlookers arrived - expecting, no doubt, to find an economically small blob of strawberry jam on the hangar floor - they discovered that the jumping bean had, in fact, passed clean through a skylight without major injury; however his otherwise useless canopy had snagged on the frame and brought him to what must have been an excruciatingly ball-busting halt inches above the floor.

I very much doubt that he managed to walk to the beer tent unaided, though...

Gadget :ok: