PDA

View Full Version : Ed Rivett RIP

fireflybob
17th Jun 2003, 03:29
Sorry to note in the latest copy of the LOG that Ed Rivett had passed away (ex Orion, Cambrian).

Ed was one of aviation's true characters and I have fond memories of his dry sense of humour and watching him puffing away on his cigars!

I am sure many other fellow aviators will remember him well.

411A
17th Jun 2003, 04:21
How about a 'RIP' forum for the dearly departed.
Why clutter up the 'normal' flow with these announcements...wonder why?

Yea, I know, liked by many (some anyway)...all the more reason for an appropriate forum for condolences.

Most newspapers don't put the obits on the front page...even the second/third page....usually at the end of section D....page 33:sad:

Boeing 7E7
17th Jun 2003, 05:12
Doing as we do it now is just fine.

Big Kahuna Burger
17th Jun 2003, 07:25
Wonder if anybody would even bother doing one for 411A, or more importantly care to read it.

willbav8r
18th Jun 2003, 02:14
Yeah - no offence intended, but howsabout a separate forum for all the 411a clutter?
Dork.

PPRuNe Pop
18th Jun 2003, 21:37
This thread is the chance, as others threads of a similar nature are chance, for those who knew the person to offer their own thoughts about someone they worked with or who were in the LHS or RHS with.

Then.....along come 3 posts so far out of place that they are completely pointless and in VERY bad taste. What is the matter with you guys?

My advice is get those posts off this thread! Now! And let those who knew a fellow aviator have their say.

MaximumPete
19th Jun 2003, 01:02
I had the privilege to fly with Ed in Cambrian.

Sadly missed

MP

AhhhVC813
19th Jun 2003, 18:47
Very sad to hear that Ed has passed on. A true gentleman, with a great sense of humour and that ever glowing cigar. RIP Ed, you will be missed by all who knew you.

BoeingBoy
24th Jun 2003, 15:28
Ed was my Captain on the first block of line flying that I did as an FO with Orion in 1981. I had completed the training and Ed was my first experience on the line.

We were rostered away for three days together and shortly after take off he found he had lost his glasses, and coudn't read a thing close up. Luckily I wore near vision specs at the time so we shared one pair of glasses for three days! (Can't remember why we didn't have spares!)

Ed was not want you wanted if you were asmatic as he used to chainsmoke Hamlets before, during and after all flights. In fact I never remember seeing him without one. Yet I never knew of anyone complaining. That was life in the airlines then.

However my fondest memory of Ed was some years later when we flew from Coventry to Palma together one night. Two Orion 737's were to operate the same route. The other Captain decided to operate into the 5 kt headwind on the south westerly runway, thereby risking a tech stop as the performance was very tight. Ed and I decided to take the slight tail to the northeast and make it in one go.

As we progressed down the runway it was very evident that the wind was anything but 5 kts and probably more like 15. We were not just tight on performance A, we were at serious risk of not getting airborne in the available length. I remember Ed raising the nose just as the end of the runway went under my side window. We carried on in total silence apart from standard calls and drills until at 10,000 feet Ed finally took the Hamlet from his mouth, pulled his half rims down (he'd remembered them this time) and looking across at me said..."A bit f*****g tight that lad". Nothing else was said for the rest of the sector!

His other claim to fame was that no First Officer would beat him into the office. He was always there two hours before with all the paperwork filled in so neatly it was a work of art.

One of the true Captains, a true Gentleman, and someone from whom I learnt my profession.

RIP Ed, from myself and Gina.

waco
24th Jun 2003, 16:10
Had the privilage of a couple of jump seat rides with Ed during my crewing days with Orion. Happy days.

Remember a night out in Paris on an Air Inter detachment, seem to remeber Ed buying the wine for all with the meal.

RIP Ed.