PDA

View Full Version : Emirates places largest aircraft order in history!

cyclops camel
17th Jun 2003, 02:13
EMIRATES PLACES BIGGEST AIRCRAFT ORDER IN HISTORY

Dubai-based airline gives Boeing and Airbus $19 billion in orders at

Paris Air Show

DUBAI, 16th June, 2003: At the Paris Air Show today, Emirates, the Dubai-based international airline, announced that it has placed the biggest order in civil aviation history -- worth $19 billion (approx. 70 billion Dirhams).

The fast-growing carrier confirmed purchase orders for 21 more Airbus A380-800s, and leasing orders for two A380-800s. The additional 23 aircraft bring Emirates’ total order for the giant double-deck jetliner to 45, the most ordered by any airline.

At the same time, Emirates announced operating lease orders for 26 Boeing 777-300ERs, 14 from General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS) and 12 from the International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC), and powered by General Electric GE90-115B engines.

They will provide much-needed extra capacity on existing routes and help it continue to expand its network, which has already risen to 66 cities in 46 countries since services started in 1985.

Emirates also announced orders for more four-engined A340s, purchasing two more ultra-long-range A340-500 and 18 of the larger A340-600 Higher Gross Weight aircraft, as well as leasing two A340-600s from ILFC, the International Lease Finance Corporation. This makes Emirates the launch customer for the A340-600 HGW.

The confirmed orders announced in Paris, along with those revealed at the Dubai Air Show two years ago, bring Emirates’ current total order book to $26 billion.

His Highness Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al-Maktoum, the Chairman of Emirates, said: "We need many more aircraft to continue our plans to become a truly global airline, and had already announced a major aircraft order at the 2001 Dubai International Air Show.

“Now we are placing more multi-billion dollar orders, and have chosen A380s, A340s and 777s to meet exceptionally strong demand from passengers and cargo customers. We will fund them from our own reserves, from banks and institutional investors, and through operating leases."

The extra Airbus A380 orders cover four versions: a 533-seat three-class aircraft; a 653-seat two-class aircraft; a 500-seater able to fly non-stop from Dubai to Australia; and two freighters. They enter service from 2006. Deliveries of A340-500 start this year and of A340-600s from June 2007.

Airbus Chief Executive Officer No'l Forgeard said: “Emirates has clearly shown its ability to turn vision into reality, as its growth and success over almost two decades has shown. We are pleased and proud that the A340 and A380 families have again been chosen to play a key role in its future.”

The move to acquire 26 new 777s follows Emirates’ experience with its current fleet of 20. Sheikh Ahmed said: “They have proved extremely popular with passengers, cargo customers and crew, and the new Extended Range version will provide the reliability and extra capacity which our forecasts show we need on trunk routes in years to come.

“By using operating leases we avoid burdening ourselves with large amounts of debt, and here we are delighted to be working with the two major aviation leasing companies GECAS and ILFC.”

Alan Mulally, President and CEO, Boeing Commercial Airplanes, said: “We are thrilled with this selection of our Boeing 777-300ER by Emirates, one of the world’s premier airlines. This is a great example of a broad, industry solution that expands the customer base of our longer-range 777s in a very fast-growing region of the world.”

The expanded order book will increase Emirates’ fleet to 125 aircraft by 2012, as part of long-term plans to serve many new countries. The new jets will also boost flights on existing routes to Australia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand.

Emirates’ emergence as a global brand reflects Dubai’s vision to become the leading aviation hub of the 21st century. By 2010 Emirates expects to carry 29 million people and 1.5 million tonnes of cargo a year, one reason why it is now the world’s biggest buyer of new aircraft.
:ok:

Sperm Bank
17th Jun 2003, 13:54
Tks for that cyclops. A very impressive order indeed. How many new pilots will be required for all that new equipment? Are there any plans for foreign bases outside of Dubai that you are aware of. The high expat population would welcome this I expect.

cyclops camel
17th Jun 2003, 17:37
SB,
Plans are for over 2500 pilots within the next 10 years. We presently have about 800 so some recruitment probably required. Otherwise we can do the USAF tradition of each having our name, rank and number of kills under the A380 captain side window!
As for bases, they want to keep all our money circulating in this economy. Also, they don't pay us enough to then go and pay half to the ATO! Shame.
CC.

DEAD ZONE
18th Jun 2003, 06:26
Yeah, great new aircraft with great pay but lets face it: Would you live there? I'd rather blow the froth off a few on Bondi beach looking at our slim sheilas

Australia2
18th Jun 2003, 07:58
Dubai or Darwin... ?

I know where I'd rather be !!!!

Fox3snapshot
18th Jun 2003, 08:41
Oz2 , Dead Zone

Having grown up in the Territory, folks now living in Darwin, me living just down the road from Dubai.....I can assure you they are both outstanding places to live. Bar Tasmania, I have lived in every city in OZ and a few overseas so feel I can offer a sound opinion.

Bondi is one thing....Scarlets in Dubai on Tuesday nights (ladies nights) is another!

:}

Sperm Bank
18th Jun 2003, 10:22
Fox stop that please mate I am getting far too excited. I used to work with some English and Irish girls in europe who had previously worked with you guys. They had plenty of good stories and were very OPEN minded lasses indeed. I could certainly think of worse places than Dubai!

halas
18th Jun 2003, 14:04
l'm with you Oz2

Lazarus
19th Jun 2003, 11:15
If you like the sun, Dubai is a good place. Although it rained while I was there.

With 2500 pilots required will they look at non-jet guys n gals?

Would they be looking for S/O's?

HZ123
19th Jun 2003, 15:50
Well received in the Uk however it has clearly upset BA and a number of our European colleagues as they will only have 74 & 77. Both A380 operators will be able to offer even more competitive fares than availible now. I am sure there will be no shortage of drivers.

Reverend Doctor Doug
19th Jun 2003, 15:55
Lazarus

At present there are too many jet qualified guys applying. I just read on another thread an american with 15500 hrs is starting later this year.

On the other hand we take UAE national cadets with only 250hrs and put them straight into the RHS of a 330 or 777. So we have shown that it can be done, and we have a system in place to do it.

It seems logical to me then that when it becomes evident that the quick commands have stopped (this is still a few years away I think), there won't be the same sort of people applying(experience wise). EK will then have to look at people who are less qualified and prepared to sit in the RHS for quite a few years. I would think that turbo prop guys will come into consideration then. Also with our latest order of long range 777's and airbuses, it would follow that when the progression slows down, and we no longer need guys capable of moving to the LHS in 2 years or so, then second officers may come into play as well.

Cop U Later

The Rev

Sheep Guts
21st Jun 2003, 06:00
Reverend Doug,
I assunm you are a Captain. How do you feel hopping on a flight deck with a guy or gal with 250 Hrs? Is it conducive to good flying safety. From where I am in the carib its been done aswell and some say here, its not paying off. More incidents related to lack of experience in the RHS are happening left right and centre. Maybe the Airlines here havent got a good training system in or they dont have the economic rescourses to put it in place.

It may seem , that Im bagging low time FOs, but the statistics are rising?

Guys and Gals that comne through a Regional with Torbao Prop time, or Light Twin experience surely are the better choice. No amount of training can replace experience or experiences, when it comes to Crew Selection. But to have both, is ideal and should be the more sought after.

My question to everyone is, do you think Cadet Programmes have worked? I know some Captains out there who feel theyve missed out on some experience, due to their expedited Career Path.

Food for thought
Regards
Sheep

sandpit
21st Jun 2003, 11:28
I have to admit to having been a sceptic, having come up the hardway personally. However the EK cadets do an outstanding job. Their tech and procedural knowledge is better than most (they are keener!) and they are generally a great bunch of young guys who have been lucky enough to have had a fortune spent on their training. Sure it is hard for them and they lack real world experience, but the EK training system seems to be producing a pretty good product.

Reverend Doctor Doug
21st Jun 2003, 20:36
I would tend to agree with sandpit. I was sceptical at first, but with only one or two exceptions, i have been impressed by the cadets knowledge of the books, their demeanor and willingness to learn.

I believe we have a fairly good system in place, but having said that, the cadets must do 120 sectors with trainers before they are let loose on the line Captains. That seems to get them into shape for line ops.

Where the problems arise seems to be when things start to go a bit off the rails. You can train anyone to fly a B777 or 330, but it is only experience that helps you through a tight situation where the book doesn't have the answer. So you can quickly be reduced to a single pilot operation when the pressure is on.

The real test will be in a few years when reasonably large numbers of cadets will graduate to the LHS. We already have quite a few ex cadet captain, and most are quite good. And lets face it, just because you have come through the hard way doesn't necessarily mean that you will be a good captain either. We certainly have our share of 'western' captains who fall solidly into the 'average' range.

Come to think of it, I might be one of them!

Cop U Later

the Rev