PDA

View Full Version : When is a field a heliport?

nimby
17th Jun 2003, 01:31
I live on the extreme edge of a town. I have a near neighbour with a farm who is regularly visited (roughly 2 movements daily) by a small 2 seat helicopter (a Schweitzer, I think).

The landing site is about 500m from my garden, but the helicopter passes about 500 feet away during approach and take-off. It also does a large amount of taxying at about 10ft agl.

Frankly I find this annoying. Firstly the whining noise spoils my enjoyment of the garden (otherwise beautiful views over the somerset levels). Secondly, the pilot doesn't seem to fly well within safe limits ...

- 500 foot rule treated as optional despite being on the edge of a large housing estate and near main roads (I'm not talking during approach either).

- no clearance turns despite being on a hill in Yeovilton ATZ (Harriers pass here), less than a mile from Westland's runway and literally next door to a helipad used (rarely) by WHL professionals for VIP flights.

- Apparently poor handling, slapping noises from the tail in turns, too much low speed low level and downwind, easily avoided tree lined LZ, no towering take-offs from limited area, etc.

- Obvious showing off to pax with low passes over nearby fields.

I just think this guy is a marginal and inconsiderate operator who one day will come unstuck.

Now I see the neighbour's put up a wind sock. At what point does this field need planning permission or CAA approval and what can I do to get this guy talked to by someone wise who cares whether he lives or not ... ? To date I haven't got his registration as the characters seem to be about 2.5 inches high on his tail boom.

Don't get me wrong - I love helicopters (A-W rules!), just not this one in this place!

Suggestions and contacts please ...

Barannfin
17th Jun 2003, 02:07
Try bringing your concerns to your neighbor first, mr. nimby :hmm:. You might find that would help tremendously.

md 600 driver
17th Jun 2003, 03:08
mr nimby

befor everyone bites

you seem very versed with helicopter practice

whats your angle in all this

what sort of aircraft do you fly

are you upset that the helicopter pilot can land at his home

or are you just winding up the forum

steve

Heliport
17th Jun 2003, 06:12
I don't think they're going to bite Nimby. But there are lots of people where you work who'll be able to give you suggestions and contacts. ;)

Heliport

bugdevheli
17th Jun 2003, 06:37
As far as i am aware, a field is a field and as long as whats on it can move, there aint a damn thing anyone can do about it the only time it becomes a heliport is when planning permission is applied for to put down a concrete pad. planning permission if granted is bad news if youve got you own heli,because all of a sudden you find out you cant do what you thought you could,
ibecause of rules and regs The best way to deal with the problem is to tell the pilot your really peed off, but might be persuaded differently if he gave you a go .

Ascend Charlie
17th Jun 2003, 15:01
Have we got PPFAN#1 back in another guise to wind us up again? Nimby's first post is a complaint.

Smells like a rat, Mr Moderator.:yuk:

Heliport
17th Jun 2003, 15:12
No, not PPFan#1. This one's an amateur in comparison. Spotted immediately. :D

Old Man Rotor
17th Jun 2003, 17:36
No, not PPFan#1. This one's an amateur in comparison. Spotted immediately

I was actually going to suggest he ring Poo Prune for advice............

Your suggestion of Poo Prune of not being amaterish is falashish....this is him and their "both" dills.