PDA

View Full Version : Messenger Service

touch&go
17th Jun 2003, 00:25
Just started with a problem this afternoon, keep getting messages appearing on my screen, asking me to got to various web site.

Firstly, what have I done to get these messages?
Secondly, can I switch off the messenger service?

amanoffewwords
17th Jun 2003, 01:44
This was discussed previously here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86895&highlight=messenger)

hth
amofw

BEagle
17th Jun 2003, 03:00
Having received intrusive 'messages' via Windows messenger minutes after I connected my new laptop to the Interent, I've disabled the irritating program. But I cannot get rid of that stupid '2 fat ducks' icon from my taskbar - how does one do it.

Another daft idea from the brain of Bi££ Gate$......

amanoffewwords
17th Jun 2003, 04:32
The problem is not caused by MSN Messenger* as discussed in the thread I referred to - but if you want to get of it - at least prevent it from loading you need to double-click on the icon in question, choose Tools, Options and the General TAB. Uncheck first four click OK and reboot.

YOu can also uninstall via Add/Remove programs though I don't think it completely goes as I believe it forms part of Outlook Express (assuming you have that installed too).

amofw

* I like it, it keeps reminding how well my Marconi shares are doing :mad: :{ :uhoh: :yuk: :( :* :sad:

touch&go
17th Jun 2003, 04:33
I have been using the XP firewall for years, so the info from the link to Microsoft doesn't work, any other ideas?

amanoffewwords
17th Jun 2003, 04:35
yes, get a real firewall (and make sure you have SP1)

touch&go
17th Jun 2003, 06:41
amanoffewwords , got the latest SP from Microsoft and also added the eTrust fire wall to my existing eTrust anti virus software.

BEagle
17th Jun 2003, 14:05
Thanks - got rid of the little barsteward at last! Had to open Windows Messenger, go to 'Tools', then 'Options', then 'Preferences' and then uncheck all the 'General' boxes......

Dear Gate$ - I do NOT want stupid messages popping up from unknown people when I'm using my computer on the Internet. I suspect that I'm not alone in this!

amanoffewwords
17th Jun 2003, 15:13
Strictly speaking it's the not Microsoft's fault - the ability to deliver messages that way is built-in for network administrators to use. Unfortunately we live in a society where some people think it's cool to go abusing the system, and in this case confusing the hell out of computer users by deliberately amending the title of the window that appears on your screen.

Out of interest BEagle what version of MSN Messenger did you have - the proc I write is for #5 so I guess they must have the changed the layout of the settings panel?

touch&go - I was assuming that you meant the built-in Windows firewall - which I heard is not very good/strong. I am not familiar with the one you have but I can only think that there is a setting somewhere in it that needs amending to close a backdoor of some sorts. You could try Symantec's (http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=in&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=) security check to see how tight your current definitions are.

Cheers

Julian
17th Jun 2003, 15:36
Symantics are one of the annoying gits sending pop ups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fobotcso
17th Jun 2003, 17:44
This is what the Messenger Service does:

Messenger Service. Sends messages to and receives messages from users and computers or messages transmitted by administrators or by the Alerter service. If disabled, Messenger notifications cannot be sent to or received by the computer or by users currently logged on. NET SEND and NET NAME also will no longer function

Now, if you're a single stand-alone PC you won't need to hear from the Administrator this way. Mine just yells at me from the kitchen.

But the Alerter might just need to tell you that, for instance, your hard disk is showing signs of distress and you might want to back-up and replace.

Windows Messenger is what I would like to refine next autumn/winter. Before the grass started to grow, my chum and I were on the verge of being able to make free "telephone" calls on Windows Messenger with an "always-on" Internet connection. And this would be world-wide if really properly configured. You can configure it so that you will only ever get messages from those to whom you have given an e-mail address. Needn't be one you ever use for e-mail - just a special one that will show him/her that you are on the Web and available for text or voice contact.

So I suggest you don't get too heavy handed with either of these; they are both potentially very powerful and useful. They just need a bit of time and trial/error to get the hang of them.

KYGMSY
17th Jun 2003, 22:29
Touch&Go,

Had the same problem here in the office, solution to this is to do the following :-

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Component Services.

Click Services (Local) and scroll down for Messenger. Right click properties, then on the General tab :

Ensure Startup is set to Manual, then click Stop and Ok.

Has worked for me using Win 2000, maybe different procedure for XP.

Mat..

(PS - That job didn't happen in the end)