View Full Version : New European colours

starbag
16th Jun 2003, 22:26
Looks a little like Astraeus

http://home.wanadoo.nl/tonjochems/front/DSCF1338.jpg :confused:

BAe 146-100
16th Jun 2003, 23:14
Hi,

I do agree that it looks a bit like the Astraeus livery, but it is a big improvement from there old one. :D

http://home.wanadoo.nl/airruud/747euro.jpg

BAe 146-100

ZZzzZZ
17th Jun 2003, 02:23
Big improvement on the colours, and very Astraeus agreed, shame they are such a terrible airline to work for. So now European, are they going to be known as European Aviation Air Charter, EAL, EAC, EAAC or C.R.A.P?
Look at their web site...No mention of the livery change there, no big fanfare announcing the new corporate image, notice the new livery does not match their image on the web site, you'll find the web site, out of date, neglected and not very useful to any new prospective customers.
http://www.eaac.co.uk

airsmiles
17th Jun 2003, 03:37
ZZZzzzzZZZZ ....... your contribution sure cured my insomnia.

Another well-reasoned, professional offering from one of the winging ex-employees who couldn't hack it. You need to understand that the EAC's of the world will never be BA's or Virgin's and treat their staff the same. They have different business dynamics.

I have every regard for other disciplines other than my own, but whatever the job title, negative no-hopers will never fit in.

cheers
airsmiles

bearkeeper
17th Jun 2003, 06:04
New colour scheme looks good, but for those of you that can recall the original "European" colours of 1993 (pre-red tails), it is actually quite retro.

ZZzzZZ .... Your comments about the EAAC/EAL website are fairly accurate - it certainly has not undergone a major update during the last 2 years. However, your views on European seem somewhat jaundiced. As an ex-employee, I can honestly say that I found the company to be a variety of things but, despite its failings, it was exciting and fun to work for (certainly, at least, in the early years) with an added ingredient of frustration thrown in for good measures. So how is this any different from any other airline ????

I wish all of those currently involved with EAAC the best-of-luck for the future. With the input of Palmair & Travelcity into the equation, European is once again on the change. Perhaps those that initially criticise European, will give a thought to the fact that they have now been operating for nearly 10 years - something that the majority of "budget" airlines cannot boast !!!!!!!!!

Buster the Bear
17th Jun 2003, 06:08
Looks like the new "BlairForce 1"!

Caledonian
17th Jun 2003, 06:29
I notice this old girl (XG) is doing some charters into Basra, from Teeside last night of all places!!

Guess the Britmil are putting a wee bit of work there way.

ZZzzZZ
17th Jun 2003, 15:08
Where did you get the impression that I ever worked for European? I have never worked for them, I know people who do and have chosen not to apply to them. I work in a related part of the industry. I speak as I find. My comments are based on what I see happening to my friend. Get your facts right Airsmiles.

Yak97
17th Jun 2003, 16:29
I presume that this aircraft was one of the 2 repainted for the SV operation early this year.

It makes sense to keep these type of "simple" schemes especially if you are into "wet-lease" operations. The cost of painting & then overpainting the black European scheme must have been very high. With the new scheme its a simpler matter of repainting the tail & engine covers (assuming the european is a decal).

Good luck to European & Ecclestone/Minardi!!

tampabay
18th Jun 2003, 00:23
Am i alone in thinking that the old livery was actually quite attractive, especially the yellow one, at least it was different. The new one looks like any other airliner...boring!

Having flown on European i must admit it wasn't one of the best flights i've been on but it got me there and back in one piece, and i also thought the livery was cool

surely not
18th Jun 2003, 04:03
I'd been wondering where Viking 9 had gone, but the post by ZZZZ etc seems to have a lot of the mean minded factless vitriol which I remember from Viking 9 posts

ZZzzZZ
18th Jun 2003, 04:06
What European needs is to get rid of the 35 year old 747-200s and old Sabena 737-200s and invest in new aircaft,then people might take them seriously. Even the flight deck and cabin crews think the aircaft they fly are a joke.

bearkeeper
18th Jun 2003, 06:06
ZZzzZZ,

Your last post regarding the age of the B747 & B737 fleets is a debatable point. Whilst everyone likes new aircraft (Flight Crew, Cabin Crew, Engineers, etc.), how many Airlines have we all witnessed "go down the tubes" due to the lease rates on new 737's/A320's, etc.

European was formed in 1993 utilising ex. BA BAC1-11 aircraft - arguably one of the finest aircraft ever built - which were purchased outright, along with a significant spares package. It is rather ironic that BA "retired" these aircraft in 1993, only to have European make good money with them until finally phased-out in 2002 !!

The point I am making is that, one man's meat is another man's poison (sorry for being sexist). The fact that European made the old BAC1-11 pay by being cost-concious and (fairly) self-sufficient and that they have adopted this philosophy with the ex. Sabena B737-200's and BA 747-200's, surely is a credit to the quality of the people employed.

The airline earns it's money (mainly) through the ACMI charter market. This market, as most of us who have spent a lifetime in the industry can vouch, is volitile and for ever changing. Crews may grumble about roster changes, etc., but without the ongoing ability for EVERYONE to remain flexible, European (and other similar airlines) would not work or be in business.

It is all too easy to criticise a company and it's practices but, at the end of the day, let's just remind ourselves that European provides work for well over 500 people. As I have said before, European have now been in existance for nearly 10 years- whilst they may not be perfect, they cannot be doing everything wrong, can they !!!!!!

The aircraft might not be new, but a joke - I think not !!!!

Pirate
19th Jun 2003, 00:17
Nothing wrong with old aeroplanes. I was in the flight deck of one of Europeann's One-Elevens a few years ago. As the door was open (happy days!) I overheard the following at the forward entrance door:

Boarding passenger - "Isn't this rather an old aircraft?"

Senior Cabin Crew Member - "Sir, the Titanic was brand new."

Confundemus :cool:

2engop
19th Jun 2003, 02:19
Surely they could have thought up an original colour scheme rather than going out and copying another airline!

skyboy1919
19th Jun 2003, 07:04
Hi all

I think the new look makes cene, being called european and everything, but I must say I did also really like the old look, but i hear it could get very hot bown the back of those 747s.

I think the sceme is simple, and as others have said, because of the market they are in, its very simple to change, however I feel it could have been even better

Good luck to them
Met a few of the crew in Orlando, and they are a nice bunch

;)

Chillwinston
19th Jun 2003, 18:17
With Bernie the Bolt buying into Stoddarts Minardi team I read a quote from an F1 site that Bernie would be intrested in using a 747 for moving the teams cars and associated equipment to the various races and this was one of the reasons for him taking a stake, to have access to such an aircraft.

The quote mentioned that Stoddart had not yet agreed to sell European to Bath travel, is this correct??

I was under the belief this was already a done and dusted deal, anyone shed any light on this??

coopervane
20th Jun 2003, 04:33
Quite like the new livery. Its clean and simple and call me old fashioned but I like an airline's fleet to be painted in all the same colour scheme. Gives a sense of order and continuity.

I remember working at Filton when squadrons of One Elevens appeared one dinner time and parked up on the disused runway.
I was working for Aviation Services Airbus having been out of work for a while after being made redundant from Dan-Air.
I thought I would never touch a One Eleven again after Dans but low and behold, one of them was brought upto the giant Brabazon hanger. A few of us were press ganged into making it fit for flight. A jolly was being arranged at European for some VIP's and off it flew. Everybody involved thought European would be a flash in the pan but rightly said, they are still around 10 years later.
I like the alternative airline game as it always brings out the pioneering spirit with all involved. The only critisism I have of European is that the aircraft, although tidy, always seem to be painted in the product of whatever spare paint was in the gun at the time. Must have had a job lot of red in the corner of the hanger and the scheme looked like it was designed on the back of a fag packet.
Nice to see after all those paint jobs that sense has prevailed!
Often thought that the black 747 must have got itself rather hot when parked out on a sunny ramp.

So to all you Europeans, I hope you prosper in your new colours and long may you fly other people,s cast off's instead of becoming a faceless clone of modern aviation.

Coop

PS Say hi to Capt. Linda F. for me.

Oscar Duece
20th Jun 2003, 17:52
Chillwinston

The person who writes that F1 article, knows as much about aircraft as blair does about the location of WMD.

We all know thoose old 742's are only pax config. So would be of no use to the F1 circus.

The only element of truth he touched on was about Stodard and what he owns. Or rather doesn't unitl he's actually paid of the loans on this. (he still hasn't paid the Rummi family the last few millions for the Minardi team). and correct me if I'm wrong but the 742's are still not paid for in full.

As for Bath travel and others. the term I heard used was that they were 'investors' in Eal, not buyers as such......

BOTFOJ
20th Jun 2003, 18:26
There is at least one other tour op with a financial interest in EAL. I think the new scheme is borne out of the practicality of putting the aircraft into/out of Saudia Scheme, you cant say its nicked from Astraeus when several other airlines have sported similar schemes in the past, off the top of my head:

like this (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/329106/M/)

or this (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/369634/M/)

I also heard that Bernie has bought into Minardi with a view to selling it on and ousting Stoddart as soon as possible due to his inability to fit in with the rest of the clones on the grid, his whining about the concorde agreement was the last straw. I understand Bernies money has helped buy 5 arrows cars from the receiver.

bearkeeper
21st Jun 2003, 05:49
Coopervane,

Nice to hear from someone that was also at FZO during the early/mid nineties when the 1-11's arrived.

Can I perhaps draw a similarity between the "red-tail" colour scheme of European and the Embassy cigarette packet !!!!!!

As an aside, my sources tell me that the original five B747-200 colour schemes (red, blue, yellow, green & pink) were chosen from a pack of "highlighter pens" sitting on a desk. Could well be true - anyone confirm this ?

Yak97
22nd Jun 2003, 17:33
O D

Correct me if i'm wrong but can't you get an F1 car (on its narrow 'donkey' wheels rather than racing tyres) into the belly hold on a 747 (especially without the front & rear wings which come off pretty quickly?

So if they could get the cars & latest "gizmo's" to the race with all the rest of the team the more mundane articles I assume could go by scheduled cargo service? Who's responsibel for shipping the tyres which are probably the only other large item - the teams or Bridgetstone / Michelle?

Rgds from Sunny Bishkek

Crewing Gimp
22nd Jun 2003, 20:17
:ugh: Shame

Thought the old colour scheme was a good idea. Its was such a refreshing change (would of been nice to see them all be parked up together one day). Still can understand the reason behind the change.

ann1979
28th Jun 2003, 23:56
European Aviation is going through so many changes at the moment, and they will be for the best. As with all expanding companies, it takes time to get everything right, and there will be a lot of trial and error.

I have worked for European and it is a great company to work for, but a hard slog. The new logo will be recognised throughout the world and many more people will be aware of European.

There are a lot of people there who are working very long hours to make it a smooth running charter airline and they deserve recognition for the hard work they do.