PDA

View Full Version : do you ever sweat?

yanluxor
16th Jun 2003, 02:51
hello to all,
my name is yan, I am belgian, 23 years old and a newbie steward in a portuguese airline called Air Luxor( operating 6 a 320, 1 a 321, 2 a 330 and 2 lockheed tristar 500).
my problem is this, I always sweat during the service and when putting on my coat to welcome or say good bye to passengers, it is very hot here in portugal, but why do I sweat in an air condioned aircraft? I know the stress plays a big part in this but after 2 months I should be used to this, sometimes I just sweat because I think people are stairing at me... and during a full Y/c class flight of 1 hour and 20 minutes with hot meals then a really sweat buckets.....it is quite anoying to sweat when the major part of the passengers are cold in the aircraft, I just wanted to know if it is normal to sweat when you are a flight attendant and how mnany of you do? thanks alot, hope to get some replies on this and maybe some tips on how to cope with this,
:cool:

gashbag
16th Jun 2003, 03:40
I think maybe you should go and see your Doctor..he/she will help:8

Ray Ban
16th Jun 2003, 05:02
Perhaps this should be moved to Medical and Health -Hyperhydrosis is a medical condition.

Loc-out
16th Jun 2003, 05:37
Try leaving your coat off!!! Especially when it's hot. It might help.

Shadowpurser
16th Jun 2003, 06:41
I know what your sayin mate. At BA we have stupid things called in-flight jackets. As thick as uniform jackets but meant to be worn during the service.

Last time I wore mine......hmmm...can't remember!!! Usless!!

Get so hot in it it's like a rainforest underneath my armpits. So....I don't wear it and don't ask my crew to wear it either. But hey that's the advantage of being in charge.

If it's hot...complain to your in-charge crew member. My attitude is happy crew..happy pax...job done.

Lozza2002
16th Jun 2003, 14:31
I have known a few ppl who also suffer the same symtoms. As mentioned earlier,I would also seek some medical advice as this could be related to some sort of anxiety disorder. I'm sure as time goes by you will become more comfortable and confident in the cabin.

Regards
Lozza :ok:

flying clea
16th Jun 2003, 16:06
Hi,

Try wearing a T-shirt under your shirt.I wear 1 and find this is more comfortable and also if you do sweat you can't see it through your shirt.
Problem solved.

Ianj
16th Jun 2003, 20:05
Hi Yan!

I completly understand where you are coming from. I sweat a lot especially when working in the galleys with the ovens. Although the passengers may be cold, you are constantly walking up and down the cabin, and perhaps sometimes even "stressing" to ensure that you have done everything you should have done.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, all of the crew I were working with yesterday had the same problem and we were in the u.k where it isn't that hot!!!

Ian :rolleyes:

yanluxor
16th Jun 2003, 20:18
thanks for your replies guys,
from what I understand some of us sweat and others don´t, actually it doesn´ t get trough my shirt but its anoying for me to feel hot all the the time, nice to see a big sweater like me ianj maybe all people named ian like us sweat a lot, once again thanks, have goods flights ;)

haamdhanimaid
16th Jun 2003, 21:24
Could be your body can regulate its own temperature properly.

Make sure you drink lots of water or you could end up very dehydrated.

Safe flying!

starbag
16th Jun 2003, 22:20
Something you can buy over the counter at Boots here in the UK (and I'm guessing most other places) is Anhydrol Forte (I think that's how you spell it). Goes on like a roll on deo, and sorts out the moistness. Also, agree with the T-shirt under your shirt. Stops those see through patches that are oh so attractive when leaning over three seats!!

Heathrow09L
17th Jun 2003, 17:25
It must be be worst when lading in the Gulf at night or day, like Qatar or Abu Dhabi in August is like stepping into an oven sauna.

The glass air birdges in DXB is also warm.

haamdhanimaid
17th Jun 2003, 18:44
Try getting onto an aircraft in the Gulf that has sat there for all day in the heat and you arrive for duty at 3pm! You'd get arrested in the UK for leaving a dog in a car in less heat!!

Is there a name for a welcome champagne/sweat cocktail? Pitt's fizz or something????

But I digress! Another good Sweaty Pits treatment is Vichy 7 Day Treatment - great stuff.

:cool:

AGPbabe
18th Jun 2003, 20:25
Try DRICLOR, its available in UK not sure where you are. Make sure you read the instructions or your armpits will be so dry they will crack. And Im not joking!

Hope it helps

AGPbabe

myflybhx
26th Jun 2003, 04:22
Hi Yan,

If you go to your local pharmacy they should stock some extra strength anti-perspirants, which should help.

I had a similar problem when I first started flying, only our uniform was very unforgiving as the shirt is blue so the slightest drop of sweat was visable to to all!

Arabian Aussie
27th Jun 2003, 20:44
yes i have to agree DRICLOR is fantastic product. buy it from boots use it for at least a week and you will be sweat free great product works well even in dubai's hot summer. yes those glass airbridges in dubai just what were they thinking. welcome to the greenhouse!!!

Towering Q
28th Jun 2003, 11:35
Yan the man, DRICLOR will solve all your problems. I had the same issues and it can be very annoying. Roll some of this stuff under your arms before retiring for the night, it can itch for a little while, but in the morning the underarm taps have magically been turned off...bingo!:ok:

galley-wench22
28th Jun 2003, 17:58
I agree DRICLOR and Anhydrol Forte are fab products. They work like magic. Loads of my pals at work use them. Male and Female. Even the smallest of wet patches can be really anoying during the safety demo.

I use Anhydrol Forte, it does string and itch a bit but works like a dream!!