PDA

View Full Version : Great Flypasts

BlueWolf
15th Jun 2003, 17:51
A year or so back, not far from here, two veteran pilots (both in their early seventies) went missing on a trip across the Southern Alps in a vintage Auster.

A few days of intensive Police and Aero Club searching brought closure to the tragedy.

Their joint burial service at the local cemetary was honoured by a flypast of the club fleet; a C152, a C172, and a Piper 160.

They were well known and well liked in the wider community here, and there was a very large turnout.

As a member of the club, I stood transfixed and watched as the three aircraft approached the cemetary from the west. It was late afternoon on a dull autumn day; the mountains to the east were shrouded by a dark leaden sky.

Just as the three ac banked left across the cemetary, a minute break occurred in the clouds; the planes were lit for a few precious moments by the sun, and looked for all the world like three brilliant silver birds, shining against a dark grey sky.

The cloud closed, the light faded, and the ac headed west to the airfield.

The beauty and enormity of the moment touched everyone, flyers and non flyers alike.

I wonder how many others have similar tales?

Regards
RP

SPIT
15th Jun 2003, 20:02
Hi
Some years ago (80s) a friend of mine who was at ATCO at Elstree was killed in an unfortunate car accident after surviving TWO Air crashes. Whilst we were at a small reception at the airfield (JUST AFTER THE FUNERAL) Sally B flew low along the main runway. When I say Low I mean LOW, but at the time it was such a fitting tribute that even today it still brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it.:O :{

Follow Me Through
18th Jun 2003, 11:06
10 years ago on 27 May, XV 193 crashed at Blair Atholl. Will never forget the flypast a week or so later over the cemetery by the banks of Loch Ness for the ALM(CH for those that knew him).

A most beautiful setting atop a hillside with the wind blowing down the valley. I think many of the attendees, who had flown in from Lyneham on same ac, had forgotten about the flypast. However, the 'route sqn' crew that flew it came up the valley and terrain hugged the whole way. I was waiting for it and only at the last moment did they pull up and did you hear the sound as they flashed overhead. That sound can still put a lump in my throat. Bang on time and bang on target. Not a dry eye in sight.

Samuel
18th Jun 2003, 12:54
The look on former Bomber Command Lancaster pilot the late Jack Currie's face at the start of the documentary he made,[some years ago now] when the BBMF Lancaster flew low overhead.:ok:

I'm sure he waited a few seconds before speaking.

RubiC Cube
18th Jun 2003, 19:09
Following the unfortunate death of a Draggie pilot killed by drink driver, he was despatched with full military honours which included a flypast by 4 Draggies. However, the second flypast with the wingman missing was a real tearjerker and a fitting farewell to a talented and popular guy.

The Gorilla
18th Jun 2003, 19:46
Follow Me

Yes I too was at that Funeral. It's the timing of that one that brought a lump to my throat. The Herc flew over the second the lone bagpipe finished playing his lament.

Not a dry eye in the house!!

:(

B9
22nd Jun 2003, 13:28
The funeral of Air Marshal Harris in Apr 1984 at a cemetary overlooking the Thames near Goring. As the RAF trumpeter played the last post over the grave, the sound of 4 Merlins could be heard in the distance as the BBMF Lancaster flew up the valley from the west. Just as the trumpeter finished, the Lancaster flew over and the wave of emotion that swept through the small group of mourners was unbelievable. As a footnote, the pall bearers were all current commanders of squadron that had served under AM Harris as CinC Bomber Command.

Pancake
22nd Jun 2003, 21:59
ANY flypast by a 'missing-man' formation raises a huge lump in my throat...

- P. :sad:

Indicating Full
23rd Jun 2003, 01:30
The year after the crash at Blair Atholl I got a lift up to Kinloss on the back of a SCOTTAC aircraft and took a visit alone up to the cemetery on the side of Loch Ness.

Whilst having a moments contemplation on a lovely summers afternoon one of the detachment aircraft flew overhead at low level returning to Kinloss. Needless to say there was another lump in my throat to match the one at the funeral for an impressive, if very private flypast.

For those of you still at LYN how often has CH been paid a visit by his former colleagues? Did anyone go back to Blair Atholl for the 10th anniversary? I believe LXX were planning a visit but I understand the guy stiffed with organising it had no links with the crew of the aircraft - Still a nice thought to remember the guys.