PDA

View Full Version : Kenya

rags
15th Jun 2003, 17:02
From the Flight Safty.org Newsletter

Let this be a warning about Kenya.

"Two Russian pilots yesterday pleaded guilty to landing in Kenya illegally and were fined Sh40,000. Captains Niktor Konkin and Yurii Zlenko will go to jail for one month if they cannot pay the fine. They were also fined Sh1,000 each or three months in prison for lying that they were not carrying passengers in their aircraft when, in fact, they had 57 on board. They were convicted after they admitted contravening Kenya's laws by not seeking permission from aviation authorities to land at Nairobi's Jomo
Kenyatta International Airport. They also admitted giving false information to airport officials that they had no passengers in the aircraft. The pilots, who flew from Russia, had applied and were cleared to land at the airport on June 6. They, however, arrived on June 8 without alerting the authorities of the change or making another request.
When they sought permission to land, the pilots had told airport
officials that they were alone in the aircraft. On arrival, they were arrested and locked up. Their lawyer, Mr John Njongoro, said this was the result of a communication breakdown.":E :E :E

B Sousa
15th Jun 2003, 21:57
"Their lawyer, Mr John Njongoro, said this was the result of a communication breakdown"

Kenya IS a communication breakdown. Seems to me they didnt pay off the right guy upon landing and probably got in someones face.....

16th Jun 2003, 01:43
You need somebody that knows how to work with these guys to get your permits. Most permits are only valid for 48-72hrs and you shouldnt change aircraft types or registrations, absulotely nothing from the original request without advising anybody.
I for one do NOT EVER want to get stuck in a prison in Africa. Ouch thats gotta hurt.
I never took any chances as far as permits are concerned when flying in Africa. Even if your flying to a relatively friendly country....

Like Bert said: They probably got in someone's face by offering too small a bribe:confused:

rags
16th Jun 2003, 14:38
126.7 hit the nail dead centre

DO NOT FOOL AROUND WITH CLEARANCES

Addis wil not let you into their airspace without a clearance. Stay on the approved airways. Do not go near the border with Eritrea. They are, as we know, triger happy.

Do not fool with the DRC. That will cost you a lot of $$$$$

Gabon is short of money. Be careful

16th Jun 2003, 15:53

Date 29 AUG 1999
Aircraft type Learjet 35A
Registration N350JF
C/n 35-219
Operator Corporate Jets
Total occupants 2
Total fatalities 2
Ground/collision fatalities
Location Adwa

Remarks: Shot down by the Ethiopian Defense Force while en route Luxor-Nairobi at FL450.

Plenty of speculation about the whys and how comes. Poor guys probably thought FL450 would be safe.....

Gunship
16th Jun 2003, 17:20
Boys and girls .. I have not had too much sleep so sorry if I might make a wrong statement.

But ...

These Russians where WRONG and wrong is wrong ? :}

How can you NOT have clearances ?

How can you "just arrive" with 57 extra pax?

Sorry guys I have worked too long with Russians and their "comms problems" - to feel sorry for them.

No I did not smoke something .. or drink ... my feelings anyway ..

Russians are very blatant and ignorant of laws and regulations (normally) ... and they have been here for a while to learn Afrikaans :p

FIRE at me :E

rags
16th Jun 2003, 21:33
Guns

What you say is correct. I have no problem with that at all.

In the thread about the Frenchies poling miracles around, I expressed concern about ghost riders, i.e. Ruskies. Crews like them are a danger to our sky. (I do not say that this crew were ghost riders, as I do not know the full story) We all know how they operate.

I posted this thread to warn the good law abiding pilots to be careful. I do not want ANY of our mates, whom are trying hard to remain within a very confused African law system, to get the same treatment

Gunship
16th Jun 2003, 23:43
Rags mate .. fully understand !

We had a few of these discussions before. It is a great worry - definately here in the West for us .. dunno so much about flying in the East and The North of the Great continent ?

ShenziRubani
17th Jun 2003, 17:10
Raggs, Guns, totally agree with you guys, and no sympathy for those Russian pilots, they were in the wrong anyway, trying to sneak in.

Komba
18th Jun 2003, 12:36
Due to the 'high security / terrorism risk' in Kenya at present and the subsequent suspension of several airlines operations into Kenya, the Kenyan authorities are doing their best to clamp down security wise.

The majority of tour operators (and this will eventually filter down to most other businesses) are suffering terribly because of the lack of overseas visitors and the authorities are doing what they can to comply with requests and instructions from many countries re security issues.

To try to fly into / over Kenya at present without a valid clearance would be a VERY silly thing to do.

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 16:09
I am trying to find a thread I stumbled accross last night. It was "fantastic".

I think the heading was something about how boring flying has become.

I still wanted to give an African Pilot perspective but I git so fascinated reading it.

MAIN complaints (and there was many) was this terrorism threat / SARS / extra paperwork ... other than the extra paperwork maybe I think we still have the best ..

If somebody stumbles on to it (5 star rating) please post here - very interesting if you take this link also in consideration !

Our "own" Capt Underpants had a nice paragraph or two there ;)

Cheers and fly safe out there .. :ok:

Gunssss

18th Jun 2003, 17:00
Is this the one youre looking for??

http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=92403