PDA

View Full Version : XP Slowing Down

Bluebottle
15th Jun 2003, 16:20
Has anyone else here noticed a degradation in speed since downloading recent xp updates? because I have .

Athlon xp+1800
msi K7T266 pro2
Seagate Barra iv
512mb pc2100
128mb leadtek ti4200.

fobotcso
15th Jun 2003, 17:25
Can't say I have. There's always the "getting used to it " factor.

Which version of XP and which update(s) in particular?

Mac the Knife
15th Jun 2003, 19:37
This is a widely recognised problem with one of the recent security patches. Google for - XP update patch slow

M$ are working on a replacement patch (or a patch for the patch) and it may already have been released.

Luckily the buggy patch can be uninstalled.

See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

knackeredII
15th Jun 2003, 22:07
Uninstall your most recent updates. I had the same problem and this worked. It was about a month ago so if you have one installed about that time frame that should give a clue as, unfortunately, I can't remember the specific patch.

If you read the fine print on these patches, they are often not required for a typical home setup so you can often get away without installing them. I'm now more selective after this last episode.

fobotcso
16th Jun 2003, 00:16
RTO, excuse me for asking, but is your machine running continuously? Doesn't it recover from its slow down when re-booted?

Something not right if it doesn't. Check your Task Manager for a "Leaky App" that's using up your RAM. They are about and they're usually freeware or shareware.

Right-click the Task Bar. left click "Task Manager", on the tab "Process" under Mem Usage look for an application where figure is slowly increasing and identify the Process or Application.

Consign it to Room 101!:D

BlueEagle
16th Jun 2003, 07:38
MS XP patch 811493 did cause a problem and I think that is the one MS are working on.

Ausatco
17th Jun 2003, 01:25
811493 was the problem and it has been fixed. If you DL and install the patch, you will get the new version. It seems ok on my machine.

AA

Bluebottle
18th Jun 2003, 07:40
Thanks for replies folks, 811493 appears to have been the problem, all well now. :D

BBDO
19th Jun 2003, 17:26
sorry to be a dullard but on the patch page that mac the knife linked to it refers to Windows XP 32 bit patch or 64 bit patch.
I have Windows XP home edition (with the service pack 1) so which patch do I need?
Thank you!

phnuff
20th Jun 2003, 02:28
Yep, worked on mine too although it did warn me that just about anything not created by Microsoft (I.e. all the good stuff) may not work (which it did.

Nice one Microsoft, putting out a slow you down patch is just what the doctor ordered. How about not putting the bug in to start with!