PDA

View Full Version : Young Eagles Cumbernauld - 14/06/2003

Flypuppy
15th Jun 2003, 05:07
My mother runs a Girl Guide troop who took part in today's Young Eagle event at Cumbernauld Airport, and she would like to thank Richard Wakeford and all the pilots who took part.

She would also like to especially thank the pilot who took the disabled Guide flying. The young lady apparently still hasnt landed back. She loved it so much. :ok:

It is heartwarming to know that people are still so willing to share our passion for flight with young people. In these days of flightdeck visit bans this could be one of the few ways that people will get their first taste of looking out of the front end of an aeroplane.

The only downside is that my mother is now considering doing her PPL... ;)

HelenD
15th Jun 2003, 06:22
Flypuppy , thats good to hear please pass on to them the web address of the British Disabled Flying Club http://fly.to/bdfc
people with disabilities can fly and manage to get licences.

stevethescotspilot
15th Jun 2003, 07:22
I was one of the pilots who took part today, myself and my friend Gregor flew up from Prestwick in an AA-5, picked up two girls from 32F squadron ATC and took them on a short hop back to PIK, before another two of our pilots returned them to Cumbernauld and picked up another two.
I'd like to congratulate the organisers, as the cadets and Young Eagles looked thrilled to be getting the chance of a flight, and it seems to be a well-run and worthwhile scheme.
I'm proud that I got the chance to help out today, and if there are any more events like this organised in the West of Scotland, let me know, I'd love to do the same again!
(And it didn't cost us a penny!:ok: )

kisbuilder
16th Jun 2003, 01:14
As the organiser of that above mentioned Young Eagles event I am glad that it was enjoyed so much. Mind you, that's one of the reasons that we've done it every year for the last seven years now and we will continue to do so. We are very fortunate in having obtained AVGAS soponsorship from BP each year and free landings on the day from George Cormack, the owner of Cumbernauld airport.

Of course the pilots still have to pay for the running or hire of the aircraft but, with 14 aircraft taking part in yesterday's event, it just shows how much goodwill there is from the aviation fraternity and I would like to thank all the pilots who gave of their time and aircraft. I flew 8 YEs myself yesterday and it's always a thrill to see the terror of what flying in a small aircraft might entail to the sheer joy at the end of it - never fails to put a smile on my face!

fernytickles
17th Jun 2003, 13:33
Just read your post, and have forwarded it to the YE department at EAA as I thought they might enjoy reading of YE events outwith the USA having such a positive response.

radar707
18th Jun 2003, 17:06
I was one of the Glasgow Controllers handling the flights out of Cumbernauld, we weree wondering what the Young eagles were.

Now we know and a worthwhile cause it is too.

Well done to all involved, just jope the kids enjoyed the flights.

fernytickles
19th Jun 2003, 11:03
Radar707

If you have time, go to www.youngeagles.com EAA is planning to have flown 1 million youngsters aged between 8 and 17, worldwide, by 17th December this year. The world's largest logbook is kept in Oshkosh, and anyone who has flown as a YE will be logged in it.

Having flown a couple of the kids, whose reactions range from awed silence (followed by "way cool") to non-stop chatter, I have learnt that it is a really worth while program.

With the ban on cockpit visits nowadays, the chances of getting near aeroplanes are few and far between and this is a great opportunity to learn about flying as well as have a shot at taking the controls. It also gives the parents a chance to see planes as something other than airborn buses or tools for terrorists.

Flypuppy
1st Jul 2003, 00:30
Just to add to this story a little here are a couple of pictures from the day:
A pilot made someone's day very very very special
http://www.fototime.com/{AFF6810F-2BA7-4B72-AE7A-216E71596513}/picture.JPG

Maybe my PPL next?
http://www.fototime.com/{0681F078-2C8B-4501-99BF-E18735EE8BDA}/picture.JPG

Some future pilots?
http://www.fototime.com/{2F1D9AC1-66E6-48E0-9E8B-3BE2A4BB5FE6}/picture.JPG

Once again I would like to thank everyone who took part and made the whole day very enjoyable and memorable for so many young people who would not otherwise have had the opportunity to experience something as amazing as flying.

Now, should I scare my son by taking some flying lessons?

Flypuppy
26th Jul 2003, 21:56
Here is a link to the PFA strut report of the Cumbernauld Young Eagles Day (http://www.cix.co.uk/~rwake/page4.html)

PPRuNe Radar
14th May 2004, 12:48
The 2004 event will be held on Saturday 12th June 2004.

Got an aircraft booked and have asked the ATC computer for CAVOK and calm winds that day, so hopefully should be able to get a few more young ones up in the air :ok:

I have started a thread on the Private Flying Forum so if anyone else is interested in taking part, let the organisers know.

Just had a scary thought .... I might get to fly Flypuppy's mum !!!!