PDA

View Full Version : Too many forums on Godzone?

Hudson
14th Jun 2003, 22:31
Woomera. Any chance of a review on the current number of forums on Godzone, please? Suggest delete General Aviation, Aircrew Notices and Questions and lump the lot into Reporting Points. If not, at least cut out Questions and Aircrew Notices.
Compared to UK Pprune our pilot population is miniscule.

Anti Skid On
15th Jun 2003, 07:43
I agree with the above. Perhaps a poll is desirable?

OzExpat
15th Jun 2003, 13:25
This is something that I, among others, asked about straight after "the great split". Based on the replies at the time, by both Woomera and PPRuNe Towers, I doubt that the answer will be very much different now... more's the pity.:{

TurboOtter
15th Jun 2003, 14:28
I totally agree, this being broken up into segments drives me nuts, I can only get dail up here and it takes for ever to see what's new.

Maybe just two sections would be great, but this four sections :mad:

Other than that
Keep up the good work fella's
:ok:

Torres
15th Jun 2003, 21:12
Ahhh! My 1.5 Mb ADSL connection. I can flick through the forums with the greatest of ease.........:}

Travelling Toolbox
16th Jun 2003, 13:20
Torres

And me with only a 512kb connection :{

Oh well

I agree though, there are too many for such a small population.

(edited to include my comment - doh!)

Buster Hyman
16th Jun 2003, 13:21
We're all entitled to opinions here, however, I have to disagree on this one.

I'm more than happy with the break up as the single Dunnunda forum was getting out of hand. By that, I mean it was too big to have to scroll through multiple pages et al!

I'm quite happy with reading the RP page & occasionally flick through the others. BTW, I still have a steam driven, dial up modem to view it on...you see, Loadcontrollers can't afford ADSL or Cable like Pilots can!!!;) :p ;) :p :ouch:

Torres
16th Jun 2003, 16:25
Ah, but TT, we may have a small populations but many have lots to say! :}

OzExpat
16th Jun 2003, 16:33
There are a few of us pilot types who probably could afford ADSL and would even love to have it. But our various locations around the world are places that don't have it. We're stuck with dial-up, stuck with slow-speed connections - and, obviously, stuck with a mulitude of forums on D+G... :{

BlueEagle
16th Jun 2003, 19:56
I do remember when this sub-division took place, I thought it was intended to make life a lot easier! Keep the Wannabe and JetBlast stuff away from mainstream and separate GA from RPT/Airline etc.
Don't think it was done to help the administation, quite the opposite in fact, I believe the intention was to make surfing easier in that you would know where to find the stuff you wanted without having to wade through a whole load of very old jokes etc. Suggest a Poll, Woomera can think up some suitable options? My input here is strictly non Mod, just very interested, being a Magpies supporter and living in the most beautiful shire in the whole of Australia!!!!!:}

Binoculars
16th Jun 2003, 20:28
Have to agree with Buster, one forum was not enough. Just not sure the differentiation was made clear enough. I think the two GA forums are combine-able, that would be a start.

Overall I believe three forums would probably be ideal;

Reporting Points for items of interest to all involved with aviation as their livelihood in whatever form. I think this one works fairly well now, and should be the biggest forum.

General Aviation for all questions, advice, gossip etc concerning the GA industry

A generic forum for everything that doesn't neatly fit into either of those two. Blue Eagle, there is really no space now in four forums for Jet Blast type questions; try it and you will be howled down with "what has this got to do with aviation?" If you raise the subject in Jet Blast it is ignored because the vast majority of contributors are poms and don't know anything about it.

Just a thought.

PPRuNe Towers
17th Jun 2003, 18:46
Strangely enough Danny and I had been discussing this subject over the last week.

We were looking here and at our main wannabees forums. Present thinking is consolidation but not shrinking to a single forum. Load on the server was just too much.

In both cases we are wanting to halve the present number of sub forums and the Woomera team were on the case with suggestions to us in the UK as soon as this thread started.

We are happy to read all your thoughts while we think through the logistics of doing the deed - it's a huge job but luckily it is one where it is just a case of finding 8 hours of time rather than anything requiring rocket scientists.

Regards
Rob

Mr. Hat
17th Jun 2003, 20:31
Have to agree and disagree.

My idea if I may: 2 forums -

Airline (including questions regarding airlines and notices)

General Aviation (same as above)

The question and notices forums don't get the exposure they need.

Mr. Hat

Woomera
17th Jun 2003, 20:37
In His infinite wisdom, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away..

:uhoh: :ok: :cool: :\ :p

Buster Hyman
17th Jun 2003, 21:29
Can we have a Winstun's forum?:p ;) :D

PPRuNe Towers
17th Jun 2003, 22:08
Rationale for the compression of sub forums is that we feel a loss in the sense of community in a couple of areas on the site - on the other hand the number of threats from Australia's proven lawyers has really dropped since the changes.

Overall we're willing to face the potential increase in risk if you lot again set at each other's throats in the traditional way:O :O

Regarding the suggestion from Buster - we don't want to rush into things here: Winstun is indeed both special and already dear to our hearts. A forum simply wouldn't do justice to such talent and experience.

Thus we're preparing the business case for a solo site devoted entirely to this rennaisance figure. We would truly appreciate your thoughts on just whom we might approach as suitable advertisers - those who'd reflect the entire and stunning diversity of life experience which leaves us collectively gasping here at the Towers:uhoh: :uhoh:

I have to admit that Danny and I were aghast last night when this beacon of light to us all wasn't honoured as Aviation Personality of the Year at the Flight International awards. While grateful for the invitation to Paris and thoroughly enjoying the excellent (free) hospitality we were immensely disappointed that our nomination on your behalf was blatantly ingored by the judges.

Indeed Danny and I staged a lonely but pointed walkout (admittedly to the bar) when the award went to some Brazilan bloke who make aeroplanes with a happy and contented workforce.

Regards
Rob

Buster Hyman
18th Jun 2003, 09:32
I ask you Rob, what would Flight International know about aviation anyway?

There's no reason why we can't move on from the Kapitan's fan club idea & create our very own, "Poster of the Year" award & affectionately call them, "The Winstuns"!

We can have sub categories such as;

the Skasies .. Best tall story
the Rivkins .. Best pike!
the Winstun .. Best overall, self endowed, legend of Pprune
the Kaptin .. Most humble poster
the Buster .. Poster with the largest...:ok:..oh you get my drift by now.

I know this has been suggested & done before, but lets formalise it with thousands of Euro's as prizes!!!!:E Okay, it was a longshot I suppose!:}

Hudson
18th Jun 2003, 18:56
Mr Hat. I agree wholeheartedly. Two forums in Godzone. Airline and General Aviation. The professionals and the ratbags...go figure! :p

OzExpat
20th Jun 2003, 20:45
:ok: Ripperbloodybewdy! There goes the neighbourhood! :)