PDA

View Full Version : AAC Pilot Selection

Stuzer
14th Jun 2003, 04:05
Hi, I'm taking the pilot aptitude, medical and military knowledge tests next month, most of my prep is done and I'm just searching for any additional info that may be of help. Any guidance from a recent applicant would be much appreciated.:ok:

Thanks in advance'

Stuart

Flugplatz
14th Jun 2003, 05:46
Dear Stuzer,

I did the selection back in '95 (and passed, bizarrely enough), so I don't know how relevant and up to date my comment is (are you already in the Army?

1. The aptitude tests were mainly done on a computer and were tests of basic co-ordination, information management (relating graphical info to written info) and absorbing info and then making decisions. There was not a huge amount you could do to prepare for this (except actual flying) but at least it was not a test of knowledge where those with a good memory (or swots) would have an advantage.

2. The medical; well what can I say? are you a medical freak? if you are already in the Army I would expect you will get through this ok except maybe for eyesight (also do not tell the truth about units of alcohol you consume weekly if you are in the Army). I was told at the end that I fitted in an ejection seat (God knows what use that is to a chopper pilot but then the process was run by the crabs).

3. The Army specific tests. Of course the Army had to do its own tests (but not, surprisingly, involving a BFT). These you can prepare for. As I remember these tests involved Maths, English, Military knowledge (how many tanks in an armoured sqn, etc), Map reading (tough since against the clock, DO prep for this if they still do it - the maps are the usual OS scales and you will be expected to do re-sections etc) and fighting vehicle recognition (again something you should prepare for). None of the tests are at a very high level but you have to be quick, and, combined, they take all morning.

4. The interview: pretty standard at this point and all I can say is be yourself (cliched but true). Know SOMETHING about how the damn things work and how they are used in combat. The AAC doesn't just want pilots, they want people capable of formulating tactics and future strategies so make sure you have at least one question about the future (5 - 20 years) of Army Aviation and how new technology will be empoloyed (information war, digital battlespace, UAVs, etc). Be enthusiastic! and it is OK to ask about how your future career may be structured.

5. Finally, Good Luck! at the very least AAC pilots will get trained faster than the RAF jet pilots so you can expect to be in the cockpit a lot sooner and getting out and about and doing the business. :ok:

Stuzer
14th Jun 2003, 16:34
Flugplatz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, yes I'm in the infantry(picking up my third in September) and I fly a little Cessna down at Akrotiri.
Your comments have been very helpful and have confirmed that I'm on the right track with my preparation.
How did you get on with the course?

Thanks again,

Stuart.

FEBA
15th Jun 2003, 04:06
Flug'
When I was in the mob BFT stood for Battle Fitness Test, have things changed? I don't recall maths tests being part of the BFT !
Cheers
FEBA
And good luck to Stuzer, which Regt you with?

Flugplatz
15th Jun 2003, 07:17
Dear FEBA,

You are right old chap about 'BFT' standing for Basic Fitness Test (now replaced I believe). This was just my little joke since I the Army seemed to have a requirement at the beginning of every course that attendees would have to run a BFT - it didn't seem to matter what course you were on (could have been flower arranging!)

Flug :ok: