PDA

View Full Version : Paphos Airport

tampabay
14th Jun 2003, 01:20
Hi,

Hi im heading to Paphos for my summer vacation and having never flown in Eastern Europe before im not really sure what to expect. How big is the airport? Is it dirty/clean? Good/bad? Also does anyone know the kind of plane i will be flying in...its MYT Glasgow - Paphos, i suspect it'll be either an A320 or a B767

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Buster the Bear
14th Jun 2003, 05:33
Eastern Europe, especially Paphos is full of quite nasty bears who will snatch your wallet and your sarnies without a thought.

If you are flying with MyTravel, their appalling attempt at honey sarnies is disgraceful!

My advice is to cancel your holiday and go to Cyprus, much safer there!

As for MYT, sometimes they are allowed to land if they pay the Godfather a huge sum of cash.

As for flying on an A320 or B767 don't, BAC 1-11's are far noisier, but alas are banned!

Well this is of course told to me via McSporran the bear!

Have a nice holiday, Whipsnade is however, far nicer!

upperecam
14th Jun 2003, 19:08
Hi there, just type Paphos into "Google.com" and it will show you all you need to know about Paphos and where on Cyprus it lies. Good basic facilities on a par with the eastern med island airports of Greece and Cyprus. Overflying some of the old Eastern Countries is relatively normal these days despite the good though heavily accented English. It sure beats my Albanian, Greek or Turkish lingustic abilities!!!

It also gets very hot so plenty of sun factor 50!!!!!!!! You should have a great time.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

johnwalton
14th Jun 2003, 20:03
Well i've flown into Paphos airport twice, and the second time was after they had "expanded" it. Its pretty much just a runway and a building no larger than your local supermarket. As far as I can remember, there are only 6 or 7 departure "gates" (by gates, i mean doors onto the tarmac).

I wouldn't wait until you're at the airport to buy your duty free because the shop is only about 10 sq ft. The departure lounge is relatively clean, but not large enough for any more than 3 or 4 flights really. I doubt very much a 767 would be used to this airport, the largest would be a 757 i expect (in fact, i'm sure it wouldn't be a 767 because the aircraft have to turn around at the end of the runway and there wouldn't be enough room for a 767). Don't rely on gettin more than a sandwich and a bar of chocolate in the airport "café". Check-in can be a nightmare, as again there are only a limited number of check-in desks.

The arrivals hall consists of two (or three i can't remember) belts, which can obviously be quite busy if their are a few flights turning around. The authorities in Cyprus always stamp your passport on the way into the country and when you leave with a "maximum stay 3 months" stamp, I think this is because they arn't in the EU and because of the whole Turkey occupation thing.

Overall, its a decent small airport providing its not too busy and you arn't delayed.

The first time I flew to Cyprus was on Air 2000 during the Kosovo 'crisis', the flight had to reroute slightly and the cabin lights were dimmed as we flew over because of the military action (!). Wouldn't have thought there's anything like that now though.

:cool:

tampabay
15th Jun 2003, 02:54
Ok guys thanks for the info :ok:

pilot_will
15th Jun 2003, 08:20
Have been to paphos twice in the past and am planning to go again this summer. The taxiway next to 29/11 is fairly new I believe so the 180 turn backtrack isn't needed anymore.

Saw a Britannia 767-300 next to us last year on stand :D .

From what I saw the terminal was very clean. The cleaners seemed to be around incase any litter was dropped.

What's great about LCPH (Paphos) is that if you don't have a airport bus come to collect you, you get to walk to the arrivals building. 37 degrees and get to walk around the aircraft that has carried you for 4-5 hours :cool: .

Also the terminal is well air conditioned as I remember which is a great thing.

On the approach into runway 29, you tend to fly to the right of the airfield (left hand downwind) which means you get a good view of the airport on the approach. If 11 was active I suppose you would see lots of Swimming pools/Hotels/Bars etc.

Have a great time :D

Pilot Pete
16th Jun 2003, 04:08
Yep, 767-300 last week, no problem, except the handling agent and ramp staff who bu**ered off after we had been given start clearance to go and start a couple of 'locals'! Not impressed. The new ramp has a taxiway that approaches the runway about a third of the way down. You then have to cross the active to taxi along to the start on the opposite side to the terminal.....a bit of a delay sometimes.

Enjoy the island, great people.

PP

Fraudsquads
16th Jun 2003, 05:06
I've been paxing into LCPH for the last 13 years, summer holiday visiting the folks, lucky for me they've moved to Brisbane so I'm off there in October instead.

Paphos has a seperate arrivals hall with 2 belts, generally not showing your flight number and very often the the flights arrive in batches so there will be 3 or more flights luggage going around.

No smoking area in arrivals but there is a duty free shop so you can get fags for c£11 when you get there.

Departures is ok, I generally haven't spent more that 30 mins in the lounge as its often packed so I usually get the fags and head to the gate. They have a couple (4?) proper gates.

Runway in use is usually the westerly even though there may be very light breeze.

The largest a/c in Paphos I think is probably the Uk charters A330 which lost a wingtip on the apron before the new parking positions had been painted.

763's are common at PFO from the larger uk airports.

Enjoy your stay.

FS