PDA

View Full Version : College Freshman's Fake Airline Shut Down

Airbubba
13th Jun 2003, 23:07
I think we've seen a few of these vaporair operations puffed here on PPRuNe over the years...

Maybe his inspiration was the Guvnor...

AG says teen ran bogus airline

By Diane E. Lewis, Globe Staff, 6/13/2003

It seemed like a pretty good deal: Luxury flights from Los Angeles airport to Honolulu and back for as little as $89 each way, starting July 3.

Called Mainline Airways LLC, the online venture created by Luke R. Thompson, a Babson College student in his freshman year at the Wellesley institution known for its entrepreneurial studies, promised ''personal TVs in all classes of service as well as a very affordable first-class cabin.'' Another online pitch to consumers described Mainline as a discount provider with all of the amenities of more traditional competitors.

The company website, www.mainlineairways.com, also offered a cancellation and reservation change policy, links to other companies like Southwest Airlines, and two roundtrip flights daily from Los Angeles to Honolulu.

But six months after the 18-year-old from Yardley, Pa., launched his website, he and his business were slapped with a Suffolk Superior Court order Wednesday barring advertising, selling tickets, or making reservations for air travel. The restraining order obtained by Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas F. Reilly also prevents Thompson from withdrawing money from any of his bank accounts.

''In effect, [Thompson] has been grounded,'' Reilly told reporters at his office yesterday. ''He has been prevented from doing business as Mainline Airways. Our investigation indicates that this was not a legitimate business, a legitimate airline. ... It had no planes and no pilots.''

An investigator for Reilly, Dante Annicelli, bought a $428.92 round trip ticket from Los Angeles to Honolulu, but allegedly found that Mainline was unregistered at Los Angeles International Airport. Violation of Massachusett's consumer laws carries a maximum penalty of $5,000 per charge.

Thompson did not return telephone calls to his home in Pennsylvania yesterday.

A spokesman for Babson College said the college, which offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in business, could not comment on Thompson's actions. Babson is also investigating the student's business venture.

Consumer advocates said yesterday the case highlights the potential of Internet fraud. They maintained that as Internet use has grown, so have fake auction sites and bogus online service centers whose discount offers to shoppers are used to steal credit card numbers and, in some cases, personal identities.

''My guess is that this is the tip of the iceberg,'' said Deirdre Cummings, consumer program director at the Massachusetts Public Interest Research Group. ''It is very easy to start a website. For a $50 fee and an annual renewal rate of $25, you can start.'' She noted that a hosting company will provide a website for between $10 and $50 a month.

Court records indicate that Thompson registered his site with a company called Hosting-Network Inc. of Fort Myers, Fla. Authorities said they tracked down the hosting site by contacting a website registration listing service known as Network Solutions.

Meanwhile, Hawaii state officials are probing Thompson's business activities as well. Last week, they obtained a temporary restraining order against the teenager barring him from advertising his firm, selling tickets, or using any money he may have acquired through Mainline Airways' transactions.

Stephen Levins of Hawaii's Office of Consumer Protection in Honolulu said the investigation began after Thompson spammed the wireless carrier, T-Mobile.

''He sent e-mail messages to people touting $89 and $99 fares from Los Angeles to Honolulu and back,'' said Levins. ''Our investigation revealed that [the company] did not appear to be much more than a website. The website was detailed and comprehensive and told about the aircraft, leather seats, and individual viewing monitors.''

Levins said investigators grew suspicious when they discovered that Thompson had not filed any of the required documents with the state of Hawaii or with the Federal Aviation Administration. ''There was no prospectus,'' Levins noted. ''Even if you are running a charter operation you have to file with the FAA and you must comply with requirements here concerning our charter law. ''

On June 10, four days after Hawaiian officials slapped him with a restraining order, Thompson faxed a two-page letter to the consumer protection office there, denying any wrongdoing. The letter said Mainline Airways ''has decided to go beyond simply complying with the order you obtained to put a temporary hold on our sales. ... We have decided to voluntarily and permanently cancel all plans of chartering aircraft between [Los Angeles and Honolulu airports]. ... At this point, we feel that we will actually achieve better public relations by canceling our plans and insuring that all credit card authorization transactions are reversed rather than by continuing operations as planned.''

The letter also said the airline was canceling its operations because of ''negative public sentiment that has been received because of this action preventing us from engaging in any transactions with customers ... as well as lackluster sales.'' The fax said the firm had received ''just 120 prereservations'' from customers.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/164/business/AG_says_teen_ran_bogus_airline+.shtml

College student accused of creating fake airline
Friday, June 13, 2003 Posted: 1:33 AM EDT (0533 GMT)

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A college freshman created a fake airline that offered bargain-priced tickets on flights between Honolulu and Los Angeles, authorities said Thursday.

Luke Thompson, of Yardley, Pennsylvania, incorporated Mainline Airways in Pennsylvania, established a business address in the Boston suburb of Wellesley and set up an elaborate Web site, according to Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly.

Thompson, who attends Babson College in Wellesley, offered fares as low as $89 one way between Los Angeles and Honolulu, Reilly said. Flights were to begin July 3, but Mainline had neither planes, crews nor the required permits and approvals as recently as a few weeks ago.

Thompson told The Associated Press that the allegations were "absolutely untrue," but he did acknowledge that he was the only person behind the company, other than a consultant and an investor he did not identify.

"We had every intention of doing this operation," he said. "We had 15 airlines we had contacted or were in serious negotiations with, regarding the actual providing of the (air) service."

He offered no details on which airlines were involved.

Babson College student Luke Thompson
Thompson's Web site, which has been taken down, described the company's "fleet," outlined various policies and answered travelers' questions.

Reilly won a temporary restraining order Wednesday that keeps Thompson from using any Mainline bank accounts for anything other than providing refunds. A judge in Hawaii last week ordered ticket sales halted.

Thompson faxed letters earlier this week to Hawaii officials, promising refunds by the end of the week to 120 "pre-reservations" and maintaining that Mainline Airways was "only to be the tour operator."

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/06/13/phony.airline.ap/index.html

Cpt. Underpants
14th Jun 2003, 00:30
Possibly also inspired by 411A?

Problem is, he'll probably get an "A" for his final year thesis and go on to a multi-million $$ a year job as the CEO at your next airline!!

seacue
14th Jun 2003, 00:58
Cpt. Underpants
===============
Problem is, he'll probably get an "A" for his final year thesis and go on to a multi-million $$ a year job as the CEO at your next airline!!
===============

The founder of FedEx used the plan that became the airline as his biz-school thesis. It got a very low grade as being an unworkable plan. So much for b-school profs.

Airbubba
14th Jun 2003, 13:03
>>The founder of FedEx used the plan that became the airline as his biz-school thesis. It got a very low grade as being an unworkable plan. So much for b-school profs.<<

It was actually not a B-school thesis, it was an undergraduate economics term paper written at a trade school in New Haven, CT. This story has assumed urban legend status (see: http://www.urbanlegends.com/products/fedex_c_grade.html ), however, according to the founder of FedEx, it really happened:

...FedEx was actually developed in two stages: The first was recognizing that there was a demand for the service; I didn't start the second stage, actually launching the business, until some years later. The first phase really started when I was an undergraduate at Yale in 1965. I wrote a term paper for an economics class in which I simply observed that as society became more automated, companies like IBM and Xerox that sold early computer devices needed to make sure that their products were dependable. They had to be 100% reliable, or the efficacy of the device was in question.

For instance, if you were a computer manufacturer like Burroughs or Speary [sic] or IBM or Univac -- all the people in those days who were competing for bank business -- you'd go in and talk to, say, a banker in Amarillo and tell him he really ought to get rid of all his clerks and replace them with computers, which would be able to do the work much more cheaply, quickly, accurately, and so forth. And the argument was totally compelling except for one fact: The minute that computer went dark, the bank couldn't function anymore. When you automate a human function, either that device has to work all the time or you have to be able to fix it rapidly. It was that simple an observation.

So to build dependability into the product, you'd need to have a vastly different type of logistics and delivery system to keep that type of installed computer base running. IBM made its computers in Armonk, NY, which made it very easy for it to get repairmen and parts to Chase Manhattan in New York City. But what if you're the First National Bank of Amarillo? How do you get your computer parts quickly when your system goes down? You couldn't depend on the post office. I believed you'd need a faster, more dependable, and more far-reaching kind of delivery system. That was what the paper was about; it was not a full-blown business plan.

Today that paper is kind of famous, and it's because of a careless comment I once made. I was asked what grade I got on it, and I stupidly said, 'I guess I got my usual gentlemanly C.' That stuck, and it's become a well-known story because everybody likes to flout authority. But to be honest, I don't really remember what grade I got. I probably didn't get a very good one, though, because it wasn't a well-thought-out paper...

Excerpt from "How I delivered the goods"
By Fred Smith, FORTUNE Small Business
October 2002 issue

http://www.pbs.org/wsw/opinion/fredsmithessay.html