PDA

View Full Version : safety in east africa

everynamestaken
13th Jun 2003, 15:17
hi all,

heading over to work in east africa in the next couple of weeks, just wondering what people in the know are saying about the current situation (crime/terrorism possibilities/places & countries not to go), never been to africa before and thought it would be a smart idea to ask these questions before i got there - the travel warnings are against kenya/tanzania/zanzibar/zimbabwe and of course the obvious ones like burundi/congo etc. they are also warning of ground to air attacks on charter aircraft.

all advice is welcome

thanks

everynamestaken:ok:

ShenziRubani
13th Jun 2003, 20:11
everynamestaken,

Really depends where you're heading for. Big difference between all countries. Which town?

everynamestaken
14th Jun 2003, 07:55
apologies:

possible countries are kenya, tanzania or botswana.

thanks

e-n-t

Kiwi Flyer
14th Jun 2003, 17:31
ent,

Botswana is in southern africa not east.....

petty crime common, violent crime rare. No wars or terrorism to worry about. Health, well we have the highest rate of HIV/AIDS in the world in bots, a bit of malaria, but not to bad otherwise.

Good Luck and all the best

KF;)

ShenziRubani
14th Jun 2003, 21:37
ENT,

Tanzania not bad at all. I am in Arusha, petty crime, some bad things occasionally, but still rare. Life isn't bad, typicall African country, 3rd World and it's nice side and harder ones. AIDS/HIV like every other country around, very very bad, but then u just got to be careful.
We have terrorists threats and had the US Embassy bombed if you remember, but you don't see it in everyday life. Of course the coast and Zanzibar are 99% muslims, but it's not bad.

A lot of flying, a lot of ****ty weather during the rainny seasons, a lot of corruption, a lot of beer, airstrips are really fun, no radar apart from the Dar area so lots of "freedom" still.

I'd say Tanzania is easier place to live than Kenya, especially Nairobi.

But I think people who choose to live here and got a flying job are happy, as long as you leave as soon as you're fed up.

Hope you get it and come join our skies.

shenzi_rubani_HTAR
19th Jun 2003, 23:38
Shenzi Frog,
Be careful? Did your rash ever clear up?
It best if you plan on coming this way! Down to PNC Park kesho. Nope no fireworks this time but plenty of the Canadian Amber!
Oh, for your safety, I'll bring all my left over Trojan Blues for ya since we no longer need them!
Kula Beava
Mpaka Kesho

ShenziRubani
20th Jun 2003, 04:24
Shenzi Yank,
Would have liked been at PNC for the 3rd game, the Pirates will eat some hot Canadian Beavas.
Headin' to Nairobbery kesho, nataka zile Trojan, use to know one with matitis mkubwa sana, I think Tadpole still has her number.

Down some Amber for mimi na tutaengea kesho

Africa very safe!!