PDA

View Full Version : Advice on TAP Airp Portugal

watergate
12th Jun 2003, 20:47
Over the next 6 months I will be flying Copenhagen/Stockholm/Copenhagen 46 times with TAP Air Portugal. Does anybody out there have any experience with this airline? If so, could you please share your experience with me. :O

busz
12th Jun 2003, 21:02
Hi.

I flew with TAP last summer Madrid-Lisbon-Madrid. I have to say, i was very impressed by the airline. The food was much more and of a better quality than i expected on a 1 hour flight. The airbus A-319s are really quite new, and have very comfortable leather seats. The cabin is very spacious too. Only problem i found was that as i was sitting close to the rear galley, we encountered some turbulance on takeoff, and the fittings behind me creaked an AWFUL lot. It was really quite annoying, although it only lasted a few minutes. If you can, it would probably be best to sit closer to the middle of the plane where i imagine it will be a bit quieter.

Hope this helps.

Alex:cool:

nooluv
16th Jun 2003, 06:03
The 2nd safest airline in the World! next to qantas.
Would have been the 1st if it hadn't buried a 727 on touch down at funchal.........

Tolsti
16th Jun 2003, 15:01
Flew TAP Paris-Lisbon and vice versa in March, excellent on both legs. 319 on the way back..... loads a leg room on the window emergency exits. Food was OK, staff excellent especially at quietening small children of which there were loads bawling their heads off on the way to Lisbon. Free newspaper/magazine of your choice after ticketing but before boarding seemed an excellent idea.

Pax Vobiscum
16th Jun 2003, 16:50
nooluv, while I'm not knocking TAP's safety - they have not got the best record even in Europe. Both Aer Lingus and Finnair are fatality free since 1970 and they both have significantly more flights than TAP (source AirSafe.com (http://www.airsafe.com/events/regions/europe.htm)).

As a (lapsed) actuary, I can tell you that it's difficult to produce a meaningful comparison of airline safety statistics. Because fatalities are (thankfully) an extremely rare event, you have to go back a long way to achieve anything more than a statement of who has had the most recent/worst accident (Swiss make a poor showing on AirSafe's league table, but I wouldn't claim this makes them 'unsafe'). On the other hand, who cares which was the 'safest' airline in 1970? Most will have radically changed their fleet, route structure and personnel since then.

The only thing the above league table tells us with any degree of confidence is that Turkish have a substantially worse record than any other major 'European' carrier - but then they operate many flights in a different environment where (I guess) safety and ATC standards are not as rigorous as Western Europe. And in many cases the only alternative to a THY flight may be on a carrier with a worse record still!

BAe 146-100
18th Jun 2003, 04:52
Hi,

TAP Air Portugal must have one of the most modern fleets in europe. They only operate Airbus aircraft.

TAP Fleet (http://www.tap-airportugal.com/eportalCom/v10/EN/jsp/empresa/frota/index.jsp)

BAe 146-100 :)

watergate
30th Jan 2004, 20:09
Just a small follow-up.
Now completed 52 flights with TAP and enjoyed every one of them. Brand new looking Airbusses (319) with friendly crew and plenty of space. Initially we were served sandwiches and refreshments but the last 4 months it was only refreshments. Always had cold portuguese beer onboard (although you had to press them sometimes to serve it).
Good experience :ok:

Coconuts
30th Jan 2004, 21:47
Flew many years ago with them. Food was excellent though I found some of the FA's very dour & serious compared to what I was used to on the Irish Airlines, otherwise it was fine.

AIRWAY
11th Feb 2004, 19:01
Hello,

Have travelled quite alot with TAP Air Portugal, never had any problems with them, the food i have to admit was yummiiii :} great, cabin crew was brilliant on most of the flights, as for the fleet indeed it is modern.

They will also be introducing 2 more A320 to the fleet and will be adding 3 more routes to their network, prague, venice and another one which i forgot :confused:

And as for Safety, they only had 1 accident with fatalities back in 1976 ( i think ) when a B727 tried to land twice ( bad weather ) and overshoot the very small runway, recently Funchal had a complete renovated airport, with a new runway ( 2740m rwy aprox ), new terminal for passengers and cargo and some other facilities, but that Funchal approach wow :ok: brilliant.