PDA

View Full Version : It`s getting boring on the ramp

Angel`s Playmate
12th Jun 2003, 19:36
It`s a similar to the post "Where are the good old days", nowadays if you are sitting on the ramp somewhere in Europe and "spotting" the others---what do you see...

a bunch of A320 and 737 NG.......boring!!!

No more classic 727`s, A300`s, L-1011`s, DC-8`s or 10`s,
even a classic 74 is hard to find. What a pleasure was that MyTravel DC-10 in Ibiza couple a days ago.

Looking pretty much forward to my next flight into MIA, where at least some of the old horses from South America are showing up!

:{

GK430
12th Jun 2003, 19:43
Couldn't agree more.
Look down on Ostend if you are passing there's usually a couple of DC-8-55F's and the odd stretch 8.

The old battered 70 is still sinking lower west of the main apron.

timmcat
12th Jun 2003, 19:46
Anyone seen a Caravelle recently?

treadigraph
12th Jun 2003, 20:19
Timmcat, yes! But sadly it was hanging from the roof of the Brussels museum!

Pilot Pete
12th Jun 2003, 20:38
I'm sure there is a Caravelle lurking in the long grass next to the apron in Thessaloniki..............

Sadly it does not appear suitable as a chicken shed, let alone as a flying machine...........:sad:

PP

BRISTOLRE
12th Jun 2003, 20:58
Good post!
Its getting boring at most major airports, all new and modern generation stuff - not a great deal of "hairy types" to be seen on the ramps, not the human variety either.

Some "sud" Caravelles down in deepest darkest Africa still flying, one in Freighter config!

PAXboy
12th Jun 2003, 21:04
You wanna see the old girls that are still plying their trade? ;)

You wanna see the freak shows?? :cool:

Go to Africa! A never ending series of machines that show the warp and weft of time and the crews that do wacky things with them.

Hold on to your hats, coz Gunship will be along any moment now to tell you about the funkier aspects of driving old machines in an old country. :)

GK430
12th Jun 2003, 21:36
Anyone seen a CV880 or CV990 - oh those late summer evenings when the Cedar Jet or the Swissair ones left 4 trails of smoke the whole way to the south coast.

The remains of a Spantax one lie behind the military ramp at LEPA.
Who needs a Sonic Cruiser - bring back the Coronado!

Johnny F@rt Pants
13th Jun 2003, 00:12
There's a Caravelle parked up at Stockholm Arlanda by the side of the two 74 Classics that were Transjets.

Southend's a goodplace for some of those older types, DC8's, 707's and 72's, maybe the old BWA 1-11's are still there too.

PaperTiger
13th Jun 2003, 03:41
GK430 it's been ages since any CV jet felt wind under its wings. At least 10 years, I'd guess.

There are two separate organisations involved in trying to restore one of each. There's a CV990 in good nick at El Paso and an 880 in not-so-good nick somewhere else (I've lost track). I wish them well, but I imagine trying to get either airborne again will be a very daunting task indeed.

I recently saw a fuselage at Sabadell (Spain) airport which seemed to be in use as a shed !

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 06:33
PaxBoy your wish is my command : ;)

Ok I was at our airport today and this is what I saw (the boring one's I have left out) !

1 x American C-130 landed for evacuation of the Liberian crisis.
4 x UN Mi-24's fitted with 30 mm guns
3 x UN Mi-8's
2 x UN Mi-17's with rockets
1 x IL 76
1 x AN 144 ? THAT M A A A A S I F E one ..
2 x UN Mi-26's (biggest heli in the World)
2 X Let 410's
1 x AN 24 (West Coast Airline)
1 x DC 9 (Millionair)
1 x DHL Caravan
1 x RSLAF Mi-24 with 80 mm rockets fitted and 4 barrell 12, 7mm gattling gun in the nose

I hope it gives you insight in Africa ... :E

Cheers and brgds,

Gunnsss :ok:

Smokie
18th Jun 2003, 19:14
Then of course there is the Wingless COMET at LGW, wonder where the Cometless Wing is ?: :D

Gunship
18th Jun 2003, 23:04
Talking about Wingless ..

Was a pax from Amsterdam to LGW .. maybe GAT ?

I saw a Green 747 look alike at both locations. No wings ?

Is that a sim or training module for fires ?

Sorry both was on short final - sure you guys will no M U C H better ...

Cheers,

Gunns from Africa ..

surely not
19th Jun 2003, 04:13
About three years ago I travelled through Columbus Apt. Ohio and was greeted by a B17 Flying Fortress on the exec ramp and a Sud Aviation Caravelle by the museum, plus a couple of Daks.

Generally I agree that airports are getting boring, and whatever variety there is all looks pretty similar.

I remember going to LHR as a youngster and watching Ambassadors of BKS, Breguet Deux Ponts of Air France, DC-4 of SAM etc etc

That said the colour schemes are generally much more inventive and inspiring these days.

Smokie
19th Jun 2003, 09:17
Guns,

The creature you saw at LGW was a fire training Mock Up.
forward section 747 ish and the empanage, DC10/Tristar ish.

There is also a wreck of an old B25 Mitchell at CVT
and either a Varsity or Valletta at BRS. :{