PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair cockpit visits

Ham0
12th Jun 2003, 17:34
Is there a specific policy at Ryanair for cockpit visits? I mean, while Ryanair don't fly long routes, one can find cockpit photos of Ryanair planes' flight decks on the net- unfortunately most of them are taken while on the ground, very few are in-flight. Is there a usual way to request a cockpit visit (and photo permission)? May I ask about a jumpseat flight or is it just too much?

Thanks
H0

NigelOnDraft
12th Jun 2003, 17:42
Ham0

Sept 11th put a stop to all that... and I presume that applies to even Ryanair?

NoD

Ham0
12th Jun 2003, 17:59
I would not say 9/11 put an end to cockpit visits. There sure was a restriction but now it appears that there are pilots that allow it (just browsing through airliners.net, you can find dozens of cockpit photos in this year - yes, the visitors might have been friends, fellow pilots or relatives, but this doesn't seem to be true, judging by the photo comments) Don't know if it's approved by the airline or not...

Anyway, I'm still hoping.

MarkD
12th Jun 2003, 18:05
depends on how tight the next flight is for time I suppose... those 25 minute turnarounds might get in the way - something which even "full service" lines are adopting.

Ham0
12th Jun 2003, 18:26
Well, the fast turn-arounds might indeed be a factor, but it would still allow in-flight visits. Well, it might emerge as a pressure on the pilots, so that they would deny visits, but would it effect in-flight visits in some other way?

Chillyfly
14th Jun 2003, 03:00
At the moment there shouldn't be any uk airline or airline that operates over uk airspace allowing in-flight visits. Ryanair obviously belonging to the latter group. Even immediate family of flightcrew are no longer allowed on the flightdeck, whether it's to US or non-US destinations. The last few airlines that did allow it where recently told to tow the line or else... (Anyone who knows otherwise feel free to correct me) In the US it's operating crew ONLY, not even own staff with their ID's. Other destinations it's crew and own staff with a current valid ID. Of course in-cockpit pictures could have been taken by the crew themselves!

cphflyer
15th Jun 2003, 19:55
U wont definitely get in airborne, try on the ground but ull be lucky.

Final 3 Greens
15th Jun 2003, 22:22
Ham0

I would not say 9/11 put an end to cockpit visits.

Maybe not in Outer Mongolia, but Nigel On Draft is quite right over here and makes his point as an expert.

Ham0
16th Jun 2003, 15:48
Thank you for your opinions, I guess I'm going to ask for a visit on the ground then.