PDA

View Full Version : Flying for Nationwide

George Tower
12th Jun 2003, 02:12
On a recent Comair flight I was chatting to the crew and the Captain told me about a mate of his that flies for Nationwide. The chap he referred to had a frozen ATPL and very low hours but had gone overseas and put himself through a type rating - Nationwide then employed him.

So the question is are Nationwide doing much of this and what are they paying their F/Os and where are there bases?

GT

linuxgal
15th Jun 2003, 00:04
Nationwide has been taking people who have paid for their own ratings, rather than sign a training bond. MY friend who flies at Nationwide says that a self-sponsored chap who has only instructional experience, has really battled on the route training side of things. So if I were you I'd get a little bit of relevant experience before making such an attempt, if you don't make it you won't be considered by any other airline in the future.
My friend also thinks that NW would rather go the training bond route and pick more experienced guys so as to prevent problems like this in future.
They have bases in JNB, CPT and DUR, but don't pay much - for the sake of ethics I wouldn't post info on salaries on a public forum.

George Tower
15th Jun 2003, 23:42
Linuxgal

Many thanks for your reply - as I'm coming to the end of my CPL I'm naturally thinking a step ahead. You have stated that a self sponsored guy struggled and prior to his line training had only instructional experience. What kind of career path would you recommend for the majority of guys and girls that have to pay for their training?

With regard to salaries I have to say I don't see the ethical problem. I am not asking how much you earn personally, but I feel that given the vast majority of people in my position make a huge financial under-taking to become pilots, i think that we should be entitled to know what we are working towards (not that I'm suggesting money is the only motivation to fly - far from it). In the UK such information is available, Easyjet for instance publish such information on their website.

Many thanks for your reply to my question

Regards

GT

linuxgal
16th Jun 2003, 02:41
Hi GT,
The best type of experience is to aim towards getting rated on a twin turboprop and prefereably with some two-crew operation. Even that can be difficult to get into at first - I was extremely fortunate when I started my (self-sponsored as well) flying career to get employed (after many months of not being able to get a job!) in a company that enabled me to work up from a C210, to all the Cessna twins, then to a Beech 1900. Afterwards I got employed by SAA. (many years ago though!)These days airlines look for twin or jet time, but very importantly two crew ops. Don't be scared of starting small but do try to get a job flying a 'proper' aircraft, as instruction is not a really sought after type of experience for airlines. Do it only if you are drawn to it.
Many guys in SA go into Africa, but you would have to ask others on this forum,
The salary will be enough if you are not supporting a family or wanting to drive anything bigger than an old Beetle...
Good luck.