PDA

View Full Version : RVSM Question

SandDune
12th Jun 2003, 01:00
If I am piloting an aircraft that is certified with dual FMS systems, would I be legal to plan a flight into european airspace if one of the systems were u/s? How would I be affected by RVSM and/or RNP? If anyone could give me a brief explanation I would be grateful.

Thanks

MANTHRUST
12th Jun 2003, 03:54
Check your MMEL, you should be OK in RVSM but not in MNPS.
Hope that helps.

Eckhard
12th Jun 2003, 04:22
Hi SandDune

As far as I know, you should be OK with one operating FMS in European airspace.
Most European airspace is subject to BRNAV above FL100 which equates to RNP5. if you have this capability, file 'R' on the ATC flight plan (equipment).
In addition, RVSM is active between FL290 and FL410. To fly within RVSM airspace you need two independent altimeter systems, an A/P with alt hold and a mode C txpndr. You also need specific approval form the state of registry, part of which will involve aquiring an RVSM operations manual detailing MEL, equipment requirements and operating procedures, including phraseology. More details at www.rvsm.com When you have RVSM approval, you can file 'W' in the flight plan.
I should add that all the above is from memory without appropriate manuals, etc., so please crosscheck what I've said. I think that the Jeppesen ATC section has a good explanantion of the requirements.
Hope this helps.

PPRuNe Radar
12th Jun 2003, 06:40
RVSM is entirely concerned with altimetry. FMS equipment is not required nor part of the equation.

More details on the European side of things from an approvals and equipment point of view here ...

JAA Temporary Guidance Leaflet TGL 6 (http://www.eur-rvsm.com/documents/TGL6rev1.pdf)

GlueBall
14th Jun 2003, 10:03
RVSM is about maintaining certain altitude tolerances which has much to do with the Central Air Data Computer, static systems, dual altimeter integrity, automatic altitude (Hold) Control and the inclusion of Mode S transponders for TCAS cabability.

FMS generally has to do with airplane performance, including Thrust Management (Auto Throttles), programmed V-NAV, L-NAV, etc....

Blacksheep
16th Jun 2003, 13:05
As long as your INS and either your DME's or your GPS are working, so that all the navigational data required by your serviceable FMS is available, your navigationa performance is unaffected and you're still RNP5. If you lose the other FMS while en-route, and it is included in your aircraft's Certificate of Minimum Navigation Performance (CMNP), you must declare yourself non-RNP5 to ATC and follow instructions. Basically, you will have to exit RNP5 airspace and descend under ATC below the RNP5 flight level applicable to the state you are flying over (This varies from state to state within Europe, naturally!) In the (admittedly unusual) case where an FMS isn't needed to maintain the required accuracy using INS with GPS or DME then you can fly RNP5 as long as you have these operating. Note that you could end up non-RNP5 even with both FMS serviceable, if you lost any navigation sensors that were required by the CMNP.

This information should be included in the operations manual, in the part govening RNP5 Operations. If it isn't, you aren't approved for RNP operations regardless of the accuracy of your navigational equipment.

Through difficulties to the cinema