PDA

View Full Version : CD/RW Disk recognition issue

Parapunter
11th Jun 2003, 17:17
I run a Cyberdrv cd/rw drive under win xp home, athlon 1600, 40 gig affair & suddenly, my cd drive has stopped recognising disks put into the drive - at worst, the pc doesn't recognise a disk in the drive, at best it does but says 0 bytes free, 0 bytes available, even though I know the disk is full of data. On the bright side, I therefore at least know that the cable is connected.

Getting a bit nervous, since I want to back up my data to disk & the hard drive is a little wobbly at the mo.

Any ideas?

Ta.:bored:

Chaps,

Kicked Mr. Norton out as a last resort & fixed the prob. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

The Punter.:O

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Jun 2003, 00:20
Parapunter,

Usually the first indication that your OS has been corrupted is Antivirus Programs causing problems with your comp. If you keep having problems with your comp crashing, it might be time to re-install your OS.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

P.S. I have fixed many a customer's comp just by removing Norton or McAfee, etc.

Mac the Knife
12th Jun 2003, 02:31
Just happened to me. After a bit of alarm and fooling around commonsense descended & I opened the box and reseated the data cables.

Problem solved. Moral: Don't overreact.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Jun 2003, 03:41
Mac the Knife,

I thought about that one too, but removing Notron should not have fixed his issue, if it were a cable issue. Sometimes even if the Cable is fully in its slot, removing and putting it back will make better contact. I have seen that fix a problem too.

Take Care,

Richard

Parapunter
12th Jun 2003, 19:37
Chaps, to shed a little light, turning Norton off worked, but could be co-incidental I suppose, since I also turned the machine off & reseated everything as an obvious first step.

In light of other comments on this, I know the hard disk on this machine to be corrupt in the sense that it has unreadable sectors & chkdisk runs but fails on every startup. That I suspect is the root of my probs.

I lost outlook express yesterday afternoon on the "msoe.dll failed to initialize" error, after the registry failed to load on startup, but booted itself from a log backup. Fixed that with a system restore, but ultimately, I have an unstable pc that probably requires a new HDD.

Thanks for your help everyone.

UNCTUOUS
12th Jun 2003, 21:27
Some of the recent (not necessarily latest) Microsoft security and anti-hacking hot-fixes have been playing havoc with machine speeds. Q811393 is (I think) the number of one that I had to uninstall off both a Win2K and a Win XP Pro machine as they super-stalled and hung up all ops within Explorer.

Just now having similar issues within Nero trying to create Data CD's.
The various forums have details of these latest Microslop inlet unstarts.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Jun 2003, 06:27
Parapunter,

Give this a shot:

Go in to My Computer and right click on your drive and choose Properties. Go to the Tools Tab. Click the Error Checking Button.

Put Checkmarks in both Automatically Fix File System Errors and in Scan for and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors. It will tell you that you need to reboot before this can run. Reboot your comp and let the utilities run. Depending on your comp it could take an hour or more to run, just let it grind away.

Take Care,

Richard

Ausatco
13th Jun 2003, 12:33
It's hard to keep track of the numbers, especially when you uninstall them and lose your record in Control Panel. It was 811493. I had the same problem on my XP Home laptop, but not on my XP Home desktop. Strange, that. Like you I uninstalled it. (From both.)

MS have released an upgraded 811493 patch which has resolved the problem. I've installed that and it's ok.

Cheers

AA

Mac the Knife
15th Jun 2003, 19:48
Ooops...spoke to soon.

Problem recurred (drive was seeing ALL discs as audio CD ROMS).
Swapped drive with one from another machine and problem went away. Concluded drive was duff.

Quick trip to store for new CDR ( dead cheap these days) fixed it immediately.

[Will retry erring drive in another machine when I've got the time to mess about]

Parapunter
17th Jun 2003, 20:17
Thanks NAIC, tried that a few times, but chkdsk won't run under any circs - conclusion - duff hdd.

Actually running ok now, but I'm leery of turning it off at the mo due to the boot up instability I get each time. In the medium term it'll create probs cos' defrag won't run until check disk has run & check disk won't run full stop, so I'll end up with a slower & slower machine as files get fragmented over time - answer - new HDD, and it's still under warranty:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Jun 2003, 02:55
Parapunter,

Your Specs:

Cyberdrv cd/rw
AthlonXP 1600+
40 gig HD of some sort
win xp home

Could you give me more details on your comp hardware. Details on motherboard, HD, Video Card, Sound Card, etc. I also need the specs on your Power Supply. (Brand along with amps on the 3.3v & 5v RAILs. and the Max Combined Wattage for the 3.3v+5v RAILs.)

Take Care,

Richard