PDA

View Full Version : XP Critical Update

touch&go
11th Jun 2003, 04:11
Everday for the last 3 weeks or so, I've been trying to load an auto critical update Q817287 but it fails everyime to install, so my questions are, can I stop it telling me everyday it need to be installed, and also why will it not install the update.

I have been onto the Microsoft site and have had trouble finding out why, because it doesn't give me any more info than 'will not install'.

Help :{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
11th Jun 2003, 06:06
touch&go,

Give me the details on the Critical Update that keeps failing to load and your OS. I will see if I can find a way for you to download it and install it manually.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Kotare
11th Jun 2003, 08:45
T&G,
Had a bit of the same problem a couple of months ago. Got an excellent response from this web site:
www.windowsbbs.com - its free and got some excellent material on it.

I have cut and pasted the replies I got and it solved my problem. I presume that you are using XP of course.

Open 'My Computer' > 'Local Disk C:' > 'WINDOWS' > 'system32' > 'CatRoot2'
Delete the items in the folder 'CatRoot2' (Do NOT touch the first 'CatRoot' folder!)
Reboot and reinstall the updates

or

There are 2 'CatRoot' folders - do NOT touch the first one. Open the second one named 'CatRoot2' and you will see 2 folders and 5 or 6 files. Delete those folders and files, reboot, reinstall the updates and you will be back in business.

For what its worth
Cheers
(edited by me to get the URL right)

touch&go
12th Jun 2003, 00:24
Windows XP Pro

Tried to install manually but gave the following details:

No Updates Were Installed

Q817287:Critical Update (Catalog Database Corruption In Microsoft XP)

Thats all it says

Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Jun 2003, 00:40
touch&go,

Here is what Microsoft has to say about it:

Errors Occur When You Try to Install Updates from the Windows Update Web Site

SYMPTOMS
When you use the Windows Update Web site to install updates, you may receive a 643 error message or a message indicating that Windows Update was unable to complete the operation.

Microsoft Windows Media Player may also be slow to respond.

Additionally, the %WINDIR%\system32\CatRoot2\Edb.log may grow to up to 20 megabytes (MB) even though the file is typically only 5,120 kilobytes (KB).

CAUSE
This issue may occur if the catalog database (Edb.log) is damaged. The catalog database is referenced by Windows Update and Windows Media Player. If the catalog database is damaged, the update may not install correctly, and you may experience the behavior described in the "Symptoms" section of this article.

WORKAROUND
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
del /q "%SystemRoot%\System32\Catroot2\Edb.log

This command will force the catalog database to rebuild itself.

Windows Update 643 Error and the Catalog Database

SYMPTOMS

You may experience the problems that are described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

Errors Occur When You Try to Install Updates from the Windows Update Web Site

RESOLUTION

To resolve these problems, obtain the Q817287: Critical Update from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

The English version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date Time Version Size File name
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
25-Mar-2003 21:40 5.1.2600.1190 53,760 Cryptsvc.dll
25-Mar-2003 21:40 5.1.2600.1190 165,888 Cryptsvc.dll 64-bit
25-Mar-2003 18:54 5.1.2600.1190 53,760 Wcryptsvc.dll x86 for 64-bit package

Note The Q817287: Critical Update cannot be removed.

If this solution does not work, your best bet would be to re-install WinXP Pro w\SP1.

Take Care,

Richard

BEagle
12th Jun 2003, 06:57
I'm currently attempting to download and install XP Pro SP1. It is taking an absurd amount of time - Dear Gate$, not everyone has 'always on' broadband and if your Service Packs take so bŁoody long to install, it only goes to prove what an inadequately developed crock of $hit the original must have been...

The 'come-on' says 1,9 MB; however, it's something nearer 70Mb according to the download timer......47381 Kb remaining, estimate 166 minutes.

This is patently ludicrous! 42859 Kb remaining and 150 minutes.....

Naples Air Center, Inc.
12th Jun 2003, 07:21
BEagle

Here are the details:

Windows XP Service Pack 1a Network Install (32-Bit) for IT Professionals (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=83e4e879-fa3a-48bf-ade5-023443e29d78&DisplayLang=en)

Quick Info

File Name: xpsp1a_en_x86.exe

Download Size: 128,097 KB :eek:

Date Published: 2/3/2003

Version: XP SP1a

Take Care,

Richard

BEagle
12th Jun 2003, 15:19
Well - I finally finished downloading and installing the thing at 3 o' clock in the morning. Needless to say, BiŁŁ Gate$ is not at the top of my Christmas card list right now........

touch&go
17th Jun 2003, 22:01
Fixed it and was so simple, so this is what I did:

Insert XP disc in cd drive and exit the start menu, then go the 'Start', 'Run', type in 'cmd', what then in the dos type in 'cd' to get the 'c' prompt, then type in c:/sfc /scannow this will run and fix all system files, and will use the XP cd to help.

Worked for me.

Thank again

Naples Air Center, Inc.
18th Jun 2003, 02:57
touch&go,

That is great news!

Take Care,

Richard