PDA

View Full Version : Too old and not enough time now

skychick2003
11th Jun 2003, 03:56
Hiya everyone

I'm very new here but I'm very interested in applying for cabin crew at Heathrow but I was wondering if there are any airlines recruiting at the moment that do mainly long halu and has anyone got any ideas when Alitalia will be recruiting again and if possible be based at Heathrow?? I also read about British Airways and was quite disappointed at that because I feel time tine might be running because I'm 25 now and I know most airlines stop recruiting at 30..Oh well.maybe in my next life if possible. Anyway any info be would be so appreciated.

ciao xxxxx:D

Shadowpurser
11th Jun 2003, 16:34
25? Too old? No way!!!

Lady on my new entrant course 6 years ago was 49 - so you'll find BA take on people based on their suitablity for the job, not age or looks.

But if it longhaul you want straight away then BA is a no go.

As for Alitailia, from what I hear (correct me someone if I'm wrong) getting in to them as cabin crew is not about what you know but WHO you know. I know lots of Itallians who work for us and want to work for Alitalia first, but had no luck whatsoever as their application wasn't "helped" along. Cabin crew is viewed as a very prestigious job in Italy and very well paid as it's still state run (for better or for worse). Of course all this may have changed, and as far as I know they don't have a base at LHR.

How about Virgin Atlantic? They always seem to be recruiting.

tiba
11th Jun 2003, 19:33
hey.......25 is definitely not old........check out www.flightinternational.com .............they list almost all the cabin crew appointments there.......especially for the uk.......good luck........am sure you will find something soon.

britanniacrew
11th Jun 2003, 20:07
All UK airlines have done away with maxium age of recruitment...plus 25y/o...your only just aloud to drink in the US...(!)

Now as for the base thing....try and keep your options open there...the airline will look more fav at you then...Longhaul...some airlines that fly both will make crew work for at least 3months before you get trips...just apply to everyone

Good luck

skychick2003
12th Jun 2003, 02:06
Thanks everyone

I'm just paranoid about age, I can't believe how quickly time has gone for me.. I turned 25 in December and we went out to a club and I still get Id sometimes, no one believes i''m 25 but I still get worried at how fast time flies!!!!!! You notice it more after 21 I guess..I will apply for Virgin, they are a dream but I have heard from a number of people and one spanish girl put me off, about a year ago I wanted to apply but she said I haven't got a chance in hell because she went to an interview and said they were very tough and she told me not to bother!! I took her advice for a while but In September I went back to college to do AVCE Course, I have done a number of jobs from Italian market research to working in Argos and love working with people and any job customer focused so thought why not apply for cabin crew after I finish my course in June (next week is final exam), I had already decided that I was going to study and I wanted to do this course from last year before I apply. Anyway thanks again..take care. ciao :)

Xenia
13th Jun 2003, 16:39
Nowadays is not as difficult as it was 15 years ago to get Alitalia (or Alitalia Express). However the idea of the job being very prestigious and well paid in Italy is completely wrong at the present. Besides Alitalia and Meridiana (and also AirOne) you must forget about the rest ...
However 25 years is a very good age to start ... if you consider yourself old, what should I say??? :mad:
Alitalia has no base for Cabin crew in LHR. Just Rome and Milan. Another question, are you Italian? or do you speak fluently Italian?
Good luck with your exams.
Ciao
Xenia

Southern Belle
14th Jun 2003, 00:42
mmmm That Spanish girl sounds like a real charmer, just because she didn't get through has absolutely no bearing on how you will do. I have worked for Virgin since I was 23, am now 30 and still loving it as much as I did then.

Go for the interview, I wish you all the best. I haven't got a clue what they look for but just be yourself and smile lots.

Good Luck

TightSlot
14th Jun 2003, 08:06
Too Old & Not Enough Time Now - sounds like me on a night Gerona,

(but you wouldn't get this unless you're UK charter)

:O

kjay
14th Jun 2003, 12:06
No way your too old, I use to think the same thing about myself I only just become cabincrew this year at the tender age of 34.
If I had of listened to all the people I know that use to tell me that it was about time I gave up trying to get into Flight attending I never would have made it, you deffinetly need lots of determination and go for as many interviews as it takes till you eventually acheive your goal, the more interview experience the better, it all becomes so much easier each time. Never give up on your dream if thats where you truly want to be it will happen.

Good luck.
Cheers:D

missleadfoot
14th Jun 2003, 16:02
Honey the days of "stewardesses" being 21yo, female, unmarried etc are over. Most airlines employ crew on suitability and ability. Age isn't a problem anymore, and 25 is not at all old in this time, and you will fing yourself working on line with crew much older than yourself. Don't worry. We have recruited 50yo++. Or at least I think they are. Oh man, maybe they just look that old!! I'm in trouble now.

gashbag
15th Jun 2003, 04:58
God if you think you are too old at 25 then what hope is there for the rest of us 'old fogeys' in our late 20's? 25 is a perfect age...u should think yourself lucky.:O

skychick2003
15th Jun 2003, 21:42
Hiya

I guess I had better travel with other airlines, lately I have been flying with Ryan air to Italy and I can guarantee that their staff are very young, why do they recruit such young staff??.however I do know that BA have older staff but judging by the industry at the moment, and all this recruitment on hold, its just upsetting to think that I might have to wait a few more years before I can apply directly to BA.

Hi Xenia, Just to answer your question I am Italian but was brought up here, My mum made me go to Italian school after english school in the evening and hated but i appreciate it now. It would have looked bad if I could speak Italian but not read or write. Anyway after my exams i'm going to apply to Virgin the next best to BA me thinks!!! ciao ciao

crewmeal
16th Jun 2003, 16:57
Come on everyone what is age? You are as old as you feel!!! Having worked in aviation most of my life, and yes I do have a lot of experience I still enjoy the job and have a lot to offer. I am still being offered jobs flying and yes I am 53!!! I am not ready for my WHCR yet!!!

pinni
18th Jun 2003, 19:47
Here here crewmeal!!

I flew for 9 years then had a 3 year break, missed flying and am now with a new airline at 37. You are as old as you feel. 25 is young!!! However if you feel old at 25 then dont bother as it is very hard work.

Tipsy Onna-Trolley
19th Jun 2003, 13:36
If 25 is old then I guess I ought to be six-feet-under! My oh my!

Darling, you are only as old as you feel and if you feel old at 25 then I don't know WHAT to tell you! If you want to be an Air Hostess then by all means YOU MUST go for it! We need amongst our ranks new Steward-ii who will bring enthusiasm, grace, and class to their positions!

Best Wishes,

Miss Tipsy Onna-Trolley

"Ladies and gentlemen, please direct your attention to the Flight Attendants in the aisle....Aren't they PRETTY?!" :O

myflybhx
26th Jun 2003, 04:12
I just wanted to agree with everyone here.

I never thought that I would get passed the first hurdle applying for cabin crew. But I was determined and am happy to report at the tender age of 30, have now started flying..... and love it!

So don't give up, and beleive in yourself!

GOOD LUCK!