PDA

View Full Version : Large multiple formations over S Norfolk this week

stiknruda
11th Jun 2003, 00:53
Since Saturday last (7Jun03) I have seen several large mixed formations above south Norfolk. They would appear to comprise of A10s, F15's and some heavies out of Mildenhall.

They appear to come eastwards from the L'heath MATZ and then cross the coast and then return about 20 mins later. This afternoon there were about 30 aircraft in a procession, including C5s(?) The height for all this merriment would appear to be about 1500'agl and most days it happens at about 1400H, although yesterday it was nearer 0900.

I am just a humble PPL so if I have the a/c types wrong, I apologise!

Embarassingly, because I do fly, I am deemed quite incorrectly by some to have the answer to every aviation puzzle. My local landlord, the lady who does, my neighbouring farmer have all asked me what is about.

I have two theories (neh, WAGs!)

1. They are practicing for Mildenhall 2003 If it is on?
2. They are practicing for the arrival of an important American

Can any of you chaps shed any light?

Thanks

I remain, etc

Stik

artyhug
11th Jun 2003, 02:15
Hmmmmm, is it someone fairly importants birthday on Saturday??:}

donald stott
11th Jun 2003, 03:10
I saw a KC135 Tanker flanked by F15s and F16s followed by two A10s, yesterday am on the Mildenhall approach over Thetford. The 135 had its fuel drogue fully extended and was very low.:confused:

The Stude
11th Jun 2003, 06:22
On a very related note, there's been far more mil RW stuff (mainly Lynx) over my back garden of late. Much appreciated, as study leave is bloody boring without the sound of freedom. :D

Anyone else who feels like enlivening my day -- Hanningfield Reservoir, south of Stansted and between London City and Southend ... Makes a nice, visible nav point, too :)

Man-on-the-fence
11th Jun 2003, 16:49
It was all to do with a Change of Command ceremony at RAF Mildenhall so I am told. Very impressive by the sound of it.

I wonder how many friendly fire casualties there were...........careful!!!!

Grob Driver
11th Jun 2003, 17:20
Talking of large multiple formations…. Nice to see the rehearsals for the queens fly past going over Lincoln yesterday…. C-17, followed by a Tristar, VC-10, E-3D and Nimrod MR2, each with a pair of aircraft on their wings (apart from the C-17 and Nimrod, who were all alone!). – I didn’t know we had that many serviceable aircraft at the moment!

No Herc though… Understand that they are all at the Stopstart School of motoring getting max power body kits fitted!

Cheers

GD

FEBA
11th Jun 2003, 23:07
each with a pair of aircraft on their wings (apart from the C-17 and Nimrod, who were all alone!)
Ummm
Had we run out then ?