PDA

View Full Version : SA sending illegal arms to DRC

Gunship
11th Jun 2003, 00:47
:rolleyes:A leader of the pro-government Mai-Mai militia in the Democratic Republic of
Congo's (DRC) central Maniema province late Monday accused South Africa of
secretly sending arms in to the province.

Operational Commander Lambert Konga Kanape told AFP: "For more than a month
containers painted in the UN colours but containing heavy arms have been
arriving in Kindu (capital of Maniema) from South Africa via Kigali." Konga
Kanape, a member of the military commission designating tasks in the future
DRC army, went on: "Besides the containers, men in military uniform and
speaking English -- who might be mercenaries -- are training soldiers of the
RCD (the Rawnda-backed Congolese Rally for Democracy) to use these weapons."

The fake United Nations containers held "heavy and light arms, but the
quantity of heavy armament is impressive," including 60 mm and 82 mm mortars
and anti-aircraft guns, Konga Kanape said.

The South African "trainers" numbered about 150, the equivalent of a
company, the Mai-Mai leader added.

The first arms deliveries, which had nothing to do with the UN mission in
DRC, MONUC, came at the same time as the deployment in mid-May of a South
African expeditionary corps in Kindu, Konga Kanape said, expressing
"disquiet about the real role played by South Africa in the DRC."

He declared: "South Africa wants a bigger and bigger part in MONUC,
especially in the eastern regions that are coveted by Rwanda. We have to be
assured of its loyalty."

The Mai-Mai operational chief in Maniema called for "an inquiry by the
international community to find out who these men are -- mercenaries or
South African soldiers -- and what they are preparing.

"Otherwise I will order my men to attack these positions and seize the
arms," Commander Konga Kanape warned.
:E :E :E Maybe one for the CampFire to discuss ?

B Sousa
11th Jun 2003, 01:49
Guns writes:"Otherwise I will order my men to attack these positions and seize the
arms," Commander Konga Kanape warned.

Lets get it on....................

Gunship
11th Jun 2003, 02:19
:uhoh: A senior South African official has dismissed as "utter rubbish" claims that the country was secretly sending arms to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

"It's an irresponsible lie and we take serious exception," Billy Masetlha, chairperson of the Third Party Verification Mechanism, said on Tuesday.

He said in the DRC capital of Kinshasa he intended taking up the matter with the Mai-Mai leader who made the allegation.

"I have asked to see him today (Tuesday) and I am going to tell him this is nonsense," Masetlha said.

The verification mechanism was set up last year to monitor the withdrawal of foreign troops from the Congo.

Mai-Mai operational commander Lambert Kanape earlier said the arms purportedly coming from South Africa were being sent to the central Maniema province of the DRC.

He told the French news agency AFP: "For more than a month containers painted in United Nations colours but containing heavy arms have been arriving in Kindu from South Africa via Kigali."

Kanape added: "Besides the containers, men in military uniform and speaking English - who might be mercenaries - are training soldiers of the RCD (the Rwanda-backed Congolese Rally for Democracy) to use these weapons."

Masetlha said Kanape was either "mischievous" or "naive" about the deployment of South African troops in the area in support of the UN's peacekeeping mission (Monuc) in the area.

"He should know better than anyone that we are deploying and that we are bringing in equipment," Masetlha said.

"Mr Kanape clearly does not know what a mercenary looks like."

South Africa had so far deployed about 1 300 soldiers in Kindu in support of UN troops.

"And we will account for every pistol and every bullet," Masetlha said.

Kanape said the first arms deliveries came at the same time as the deployment about three weeks ago of a South African expeditionary corps in Kindu.

He accused South Africa of wanting "a bigger and bigger" part of Monuc, and called for an international inquiry in the suspected presence of mercenaries.

Masetlha said South Africa would never become involved in the kind activities suggested by Kanape.

"We are not a banana republic. We will never support or train rebels. It's all in his (Kanape) imagination," Masetlha said. :E :E :E

prospector
11th Jun 2003, 13:29
Not banana????? maybe pineapple!!!!!!
Prospector

ShenziRubani
11th Jun 2003, 16:21
Prospector, you're nice. In view of their involvement in backing the regime of Lord Mugabe, and the "not so clear" support to some factions in DRC and Mugabe's forces there, it is more like a Banana Republic than a Pineapple one.

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 16:29
There usually is fire. Maybe the SA Government wants a bit more to happen in certain places than other (read Zim). Who knows?

Gunship
11th Jun 2003, 16:39
Agree Bakela ...

Same statement I made re the French. What are we doing there? Why send Oryx's and crews. Why the French. At least the Chines are "straight".

Asked the boossman that is rebuilding our Military compound. He said to me .. "China looots of people, China no food soon. China like plenty fish from Africa to feed chieldrien."

The American and Brits = Oil
The French ?
The South African's ?

All love their arms , ammo, Jets and Choppers ..

Strange how things have turned around.

Only a few years ago it was all "East Block" plus Cuba and China with flooding their weapons and aircraft ..

Efrika politics ... :}

BAKELA
11th Jun 2003, 16:55
Lo Guns,

Efrika politics...like Formula 1 racing (don't know how many F1 fans there are on this forum?). The only certainty is change...political alliances, borders, constitutions, and...of course, names!

currawong
16th Jun 2003, 18:37
What a great thread!:E :E :E

Gunship
16th Jun 2003, 18:43
... your reasoning for saying that from Down - Under :p

currawong Says :

What a great thread

:E

4granted
17th Jun 2003, 04:12
Vacancy #: NUC-03-023, Deadline: 25 June, 2003

Mission: United Nations Organization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUC)

Duty Station: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo

Family/Non-family Status: Non-family

Initial Appointment: Six (6) months
Renewable subject to extension of mandate, operational requirements and satisfactory performance.

Post title & Level: Aviation Safety Assistant (FS-OL)

Indicative Minimum Gross Annual Remuneration US$ 39,401

Description of Main Duties:

Under the direction of the Aviation Safety Officer, the incumbent assists with the following duties:

· Planning and implementating of the UN Aviation Safety Programme through the monitoring of air operations and vendors performances;
· Executing Aviation Safety Survey Visits;
· Evaluating vendors performance and performing aircraft inspections ;
· Compiling aviation statistics;
· Maintenaning and processing aircraft occurrence reports;
· Preparing adverse safety trends analysis;
· Maintening and processing of ICAO Annexes and SARPS;
· Distributing Aviation Safety Publicity within the Mission.
· Drafting of routine communications;
· Answering routine telephone enquiries;
· Maintaining an up-to-date filing system;
· Establishing and maintaining a Reference Library.

Qualifications and Experience:

Education: A commercial pilot license with instrument rating or navigator from a recognized flight training establishment or cabin crew licence or air traffic controller licence or mechanic licence or a graduate from equivalent military establishment such as military flight/air traffic control/engineering training; Aviation Safety qualification as a result of specific training.

Experience:A minimum of five years experience in the aviation industry as a pilot, navigator, aircraft maintenance mechanic, flight crew or assistant air traffic controller; administrative experience with the UN. Good knowledge of UN rules and regulations and ability to apply related rules, procedures and instructions when carrying out required assignment. Thorough knowledge of various software applications. Working experience in aviation safety with commercial aviation or military unit. Experience in the use of ICAO documentation.

Languages:

Excellent command of English is essential. Knowledge of French or another United Nations official language would be an advantage.

Preference will be given to equally qualified women candidates.
Completed detailed Application Documentation as specified above referring to Vacancy number NUC-03-023 should be forwarded to the attention of: Recruitment Section, PMSS/DPKO, Room # DC1-917, 1 United Nations Plaza New York, NY 10017, USA Fax No.: 1-212-963-2800 or by e-mail to: [email protected]

Yossarian
17th Jun 2003, 05:58
As if we would ever...........:*

Gunship
17th Jun 2003, 08:37
tx 4 g ..

i know you mean good - but they can shove the sallary upo the noe bru ...

how r u ?

4granted
17th Jun 2003, 14:18
Lekka Man...
Tell me , when you gonna fire up that whirly bird of yours and sort that Taylor chap out accross the border from you?

Ya re the add, theres another one but this one pays
69000$/Year ..which is not bad... more than alot of flying jobs are paying in that part of the world....:mad: :mad: :mad:

Keep those tennis shoulders well greased with the good ol Tass.
( I remember buying a bottle of Tas and a Carling Black Label for R3.50 in the good ol days and mixing the 2 together. "Garrenteed five fights per bottle"..or Ma moor vir paa wyn!!!!!!)

cheers hb4g

currawong
17th Jun 2003, 21:19
Guns, I mean what an interesting thread.

Yes, when are you going to fire up that chopper of yours?

Another news crew in the back? Or was that someone else?

Love your work!:ok:

BAKELA
24th Jun 2003, 14:49
Kunjani 4g,

Where do you get these UN ads from? :confused: I used to get the publications from ICAO with ads for positions there (some wasn't paying to shabby) but that has dried up.

Shala Gashle
Bakela

4granted
24th Jun 2003, 18:25
Go to http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf
and check out jobs section. You can also get them to send you an email every week or so with the latest openings. You dont find flying jobs there though.... but you never know.

Bon Chance
wfp4g:ok:

BAKELA
25th Jun 2003, 17:06
:) Moerse thanks 4g. I'll go suzz it out. :ok::cool:

BAKELA
25th Jun 2003, 19:25
:E Now this makes me wonder who's involved in getting the illegal arms to the DRC. I knew Guns was in the telephone business but the postal service must be a new venture. :} :}

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/bad_combination.jpg