PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses and G?

DamienB
10th Jun 2003, 23:08
Serious question - pulling G and wearing contact lenses - good idea? Generally approved of or specs the better option?

Miserable Old Git
11th Jun 2003, 00:07
I had to try contacts as my glasses wouldn’t fit under the helmet faceplate when using NVGs, but I couldn’t get on with them at all and so I stuck with the usual RAF type glasses – cool factor nil!

I have mates who wear contacts, both RAF supplied and privately sourced and have no problems with them in flight and under G.

As I understand it the lenses must not be the harder type. Good luck, I hated them - Four eyes rule

MOG

DamienB
11th Jun 2003, 00:34
Cheers - I'll give it a go then, as they are indeed soft ones.

fobotcso
11th Jun 2003, 03:57
I wore soft lenses for several years whilst flying and occasionally pulling up to 5 G. May not be the sort of G you are referring to but I never gave my lenses a thought. I just forgot them. Now I feel undressed without them and hate bi-focal specs.

Go for it, but remember that you have to be prepared to whip them out if you get debris in your eye and you then have to revert to the specs that you are required to carry with you.

Braveheart
11th Jun 2003, 05:05
I have worn approved contact lenses for about two years now and will hopefully never have to go back to the specks. Have had no problem at all with the lenses under G in fact I've just started on a new aircraft type and they work perfectly well up to 9G. The only slight pain is the fact that you must travel to Cranditz every 6 months for a check up.

I've got daily wear contacts (ie put them on in morning and throw them away at night - so no cleaning faff to worry about) but you can have monthly if you prefer. You must pay however - cost works out at about 80p per day.

Still have to carry the old specs in the g pants just in case the lenses go tits but i've never had to break them out yet.

In short - thoroughly recommend them - don't even know they're in there all day.

DamienB
11th Jun 2003, 18:40
Well hopefully won't be going near 9 - much - or I shall be asleep for the remainder of the flight :ugh:

Ta gents.

Surly Bondslipper
11th Jun 2003, 22:08
I know that you gentlemen try hard to avoid returning vertically to terra firma under nylon . I once unwisely opened an old, round canopy at TV standing on my head, and after a horrendous opening shock I could barely see anything - all blurry apart from two tiny circles of perfect vision. I was convinced I had somehow wrecked my eyes, until on landing I found both soft lenses stuck to the inside of my goggles. :rolleyes:

fobotcso
12th Jun 2003, 00:36
Mmmm.... that gives me an idea.

One of my lenses sticks like a limpet and the other is nearly as bad. That makes them difficult to get out sometimes especially at the end of a long hard evening's bon viveuring.

So, all I have to do is bang my head hard on the edge of the dressing table and catch them as they fly out. Great!:\

solotk
12th Jun 2003, 01:31
Go on Damien, I'll bite

What have you got a ride in?:ok:

DamienB
12th Jun 2003, 06:01
Sadly nothing that blows hot air out the back, but always open to offers :D